WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Mount Collins

Images

Default Mount Collins

Immaculate mouldering privy. But, the shelter is right next to (.5 mile) from Clingman's Dome road. The usual bear cables and fence. No views. It is usually pretty crowded. I'd push for Pecks heading north or Double Spring heading south.

Images

The water at Mount Collins was flowing strongly on 11/14/03. The water, by the way, is about 1/5 mile south from the shelter on the Sugarland mountain trail.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

it seems to me that no matter they weather the Mt collins shelter location is always very wet and damp...that side fo the ridge in TN catchs all the moisture....there are some epipytes (sp?) around there.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

I really liked the Mt. Collins shelter area, it reminded me of home. It looked just like the forest in New Hampshire and Northern Vermont.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

good berry picking there in mid late sept...
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Default June 2005

Mount Collins currently has a Bear warning sign posted at the shelter. I stayed there 6/22/05 and saw nothing. Even though it's an old shelter, I love it because it has no mice. The only thing active was Rabbits and several gray (very friendly) birds.

Default Closed!!!

As of 7/27/2005, Mt. Collins shelter was closed due to bear activity.

Hello was there anybody That stayed here on the day of March 31, 2006 with a man named pheonix

Images

I know he's the guy that died. I thought I had a picture of him at Tellico Gap a few days before that, but, someone told me it was Sandman. I took a bunch of pics of Thrus Mar 23-26 around Tellico Gap. Check my gallery and see if he is one of those unknown NOBOS. Are you related? BTW, to whiteblaze.

Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    Hello was there anybody That stayed here on the day of March 31, 2006 with a man named pheonix
    see thread http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14179 for discussion on this event

June 2009 it was a muddy hole. Big group of college kids had night hiked in the night before and were in various states of passed out/drunk/getting drunk etc. Not the most pleasant shelter stays.

++ New Posts ++