WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Geezer

Default From Trail Journals

Now that people are on the trail, trailjournals.com is starting to fill up. Love to read journals.

There seems to be more early journals than usual, but the comments remind me of last year's early birds. Here's one from Muskrat Creek Shelter on Feb 6:

All in all a pretty good day. But I was alone again in the shelter. Not a good thing... I really feel I'm missing a lot of the trail experience by starting so early. And it's very lonely....

I've read variations of this theme from several hikers.

Well, it'll warm up soon and there will be scads of hikers out there.
    Frosty

Images

Frosty,
    I have noticed the same thing. It is interesting to note that there seems to be a few folks within striking distance of each other who are alone and feeling it. As they move North and the vagarcies of the trail kick in (zero days, high mileage, weather delays etc) it will be interesting to read how and if they link up.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

trail journals are to cool neo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Now that people are on the trail, trailjournals.com is starting to fill up. Love to read journals.......................................... ..............YADA,YADA,YADA,out there.

Yo Frosty!
    U gonna try it again this year?
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

nothing like reading Trail Journals, well except for being out there yourself
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    Yo Frosty!
    U gonna try it again this year?
    Can't. I have a committment in April-May, and not sure I want to go SoBo later in the year. Marta made it sound interesting, but still seems a lonely way to go to me. I think in 2008 I will once again start at Springer and attempt a thru NoBo. Maybe the third times a charm, eh?

This summer I think I will do the Long Trail. Also am making plans to do the Pinhoti Trail in March and maybe hike from Springer to the April Fool hiker bash if I can figure the logistics of leaving a car at Franklin and getting to Springer. I love the excitement and energy of hiking north from Springer with the hopefuls. I must like it. I keep doing it
    Frosty

It's Feb. 9th and hikers are talking about having a shelter by themselves and being lonely. I wonder why?

what are some of the trail names of some of the hikers that have started, im going to go to trail journals to check them out

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by whykickamoocow View Post
    what are some of the trail names of some of the hikers that have started, im going to go to trail journals to check them out
    These come to mind:
    Tom Brown
    Mr. Happy
    Zero
    Skeemer (FT)
    Santas helper
    Hikernutt
    The Walrus

Mr Happy and Zero have been on the trail almost a month each, and are currently at Fontana Dam and Franklin, mostly due to waiting out extremely cold or bad weather.

There are also a couple hikers in southern VA now, I believe. I want to say G.H.O.S.T. and another fella, but I'm not certain and they don't have trail journals to follow their progress.

Every year Baltimore Jack and others point out that even when you start early, you don't gain that much time because you lose a lot of days due to bad weather days, and the costs of a hike go up due to more lodging costs and more town meals.

Waiting just two or three weeks makes a tremendous difference. Last March, Tinker and I left Amicalola March 6 or 7, and there were lots of people. There were cold nights, true, but in low 20's, not single digits, and the trail wasn't ice covered (Mugwump already got off the trail because it is nothing but ice right now between Springer and Neels. He will be back in a couple weeks.)
    Frosty

Been checking out several of em too Frosty. Lots are taking zeros due to cold weather I've noticed. One dude refused to puton his frozen pack...lol
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

i enjoyed your journal frosty.
    sandalwood

Geezer

Default Cold weather hiking woes continue

Cold weather hiking woes continue on trailjournals. I don't mean to poke fun, and I'm sure this guy will be back on the trail in a couple weeks, but boy, does it seem like a HUGE difference between a February and a March start! Cold weather (under 20*) camping is so much tougher than normal camping, and this is made so much worse by being alone. I agree with the guy. I would have been miserable, too. Kudos to all the early hikers who are now in the Smokies and beyond.

Sunday, February 18, 2007
    Its 11:55am on Sunday February 18th I am packed up and ready to head out in the next 5 min. Wish me luck. Next update......From The TRAIL!!!

Monday, February 19, 2007
    Well everyone i am back at home. After arriving at the Springer Shelter and setting up camp i checked in with a few people back home. Then i attempted to make a fire in the fire pit. The wind was so strong it was a constant battle to keep enough wood on it so i gave up and got in my hammock to warm up. I just could not get warm and as the sun started to go down i got much colder. i decided to move into the shelter. with the shelter empty except for the mice i put all my gear up in the loft and made some tea and ate a some food. Two random guys walked up just after i ate and offered me a ride back to the falls since it was getting cold. I declined. When they left i made a hot water bottle and crawled in my sleeping bag, i started to warm up but quickly became cold again. i found my thermometer and checked the temp 7^in the shelter. with all my clothing on, I cinched down the hood on my sleeping bag and called a few people for support. after a brief time on the phone i realized i was not going to get any warmer. I made the decision to go home for a bit, i was just miserable. I called for a ride and packed my gear. I signed the Shelter logbook at 8:30pm and headed for FS 42 then down the road to meet my ride. Well so far my thru hike is not shaping up like i had planned but i got my start. Ill be back out in a couple weeks. hopefully better prepared for the cold.
    Frosty

Images

There are also a couple hikers in southern VA now, I believe. I want to say G.H.O.S.T. and another fella, but I'm not certain and they don't have trail journals to follow their progress.
    I think the other guy is Trek.

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Cold weather hiking woes continue on trailjournals. I don't mean to poke fun, and I'm sure this guy will be back on the trail in a couple weeks, but boy, does it seem like a HUGE difference between a February and a March start! Cold weather (under 20*) camping is so much tougher than normal camping, and this is made so much worse by being alone. I agree with the guy. I would have been miserable, too. Kudos to all the early hikers who are now in the Smokies and beyond.

Sunday, February 18, 2007
    Its 11:55am on Sunday February 18th I am packed up and ready to head out in the next 5 min. Wish me luck. Next update......From The TRAIL!!!

Monday, February 19, 2007
    Well everyone i am back at home. After arriving at the Springer Shelter and setting up camp i checked in with a few people back home. Then i attempted to make a fire in the fire pit. The wind was so strong it was a constant battle to keep enough wood on it so i gave up and got in my hammock to warm up. I just could not get warm and as the sun started to go down i got much colder. i decided to move into the shelter. with the shelter empty except for the mice i put all my gear up in the loft and made some tea and ate a some food. Two random guys walked up just after i ate and offered me a ride back to the falls since it was getting cold. I declined. When they left i made a hot water bottle and crawled in my sleeping bag, i started to warm up but quickly became cold again. i found my thermometer and checked the temp 7^in the shelter. with all my clothing on, I cinched down the hood on my sleeping bag and called a few people for support. after a brief time on the phone i realized i was not going to get any warmer. I made the decision to go home for a bit, i was just miserable. I called for a ride and packed my gear. I signed the Shelter logbook at 8:30pm and headed for FS 42 then down the road to meet my ride. Well so far my thru hike is not shaping up like i had planned but i got my start. Ill be back out in a couple weeks. hopefully better prepared for the cold.
    I assume these Feb18,2007 & Feb 19,2009 entries are made-up , since I can't find them on TJ.. Can u help me?

Images

kicking around ideas for the next adventure 1Pint's Avatar
    Images

The entry of 2/18 sounds like a Zach on TJ.

Oops - Ewker got it.
    "It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." Train

Can't. I have a committment in April-May, and not sure I want to go SoBo later in the year. Marta made it sound interesting, but still seems a lonely way to go to me. I think in 2008 I will once again start at Springer and attempt a thru NoBo. Maybe the third times a charm, eh?

This summer I think I will do the Long Trail. Also am making plans to do the Pinhoti Trail in March and maybe hike from Springer to the April Fool hiker bash if I can figure the logistics of leaving a car at Franklin and getting to Springer. I love the excitement and energy of hiking north from Springer with the hopefuls. I must like it. I keep doing it
    If you decide to do it let me know a little in advance and I'll get you there.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by tiamalle View Post
    If you decide to do it let me know a little in advance and I'll get you there.
    Once again, thank you, my friend. But once again my schedule slipped a little bit. Am now planning on starting the AL Pinhoti on March 18, leaving my vehicle at Cave Spring GA and getting a ride to Bull Gap.

I should finish the hike and be in Franklin by Friday Mar 30.

It all revolves around the Hiker Bash
    Frosty

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Fannypack View Post
    I assume these Feb18,2007 & Feb 19,2009 entries are made-up , since I can't find them on TJ.. Can u help me?
    I think he'll be back up in a couple weeks. It sounded like he was pretty cold. If he waits until March it will not only be warmer but there will be other hikers around. That makes a big difference to me. It's easy to get discouraged when you're both cold and alone.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

I'm just amazed at how many people are starting so early this year, and how many are having trouble with the cold weather. If I ever had a thought of starting in February, it is gone now. Mid-March for me. 2008, that is.

Meantime, I'm loving trailjournals. Tom Brown (no trail name) has a good AT one going. And Skeeter on the FT.
    Frosty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++