WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Yup, The entries from the 18th and 19th were mine.

I feel really stupid for how things turn out. on previous outings i have had little to no trouble in my hammock down into the mid teens so i thought the shelter would help alot. I am a warm sleeper and i still dont know why i was so cold, maybe it was the wind. Ill be back in march hopefully the weather will be on my side.

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogginfox View Post

I feel really stupid for how things turn out. on previous outings i have had little to no trouble in my hammock down into the mid teens so i thought the shelter would help alot. I am a warm sleeper and i still dont know why i was so cold, maybe it was the wind. Ill be back in march hopefully the weather will be on my side.
    good luck w/ your hike!

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Dogginfox View Post

Oh, man, don't feel bad. When it's cold, it's COLD.

There is a reason why most people start in March. Average temperatures are fine, but when you get a cold night, it's hard to function. And this year temps seem colder than normal. I'm sure you will do much better when you get back on the trail.

You will be surprised how much of a difference company makes, too. A lot of misery is lessened just by being around other people who are sharing the same misery.

If you are at the April Fools Hiker Bash in Franklin, look for me (I'll be the tall guy with a pork chop in each hand) and say Hi!

Let us know when you hit the trail again,
    Frosty

I came off trail, partly because of the cold but mostly the loneliness. I could have dealt with one or the other, but combined it was a force to be reckoned with. I'll be starting back at Fontana on March 2nd with Fly By (my Dad) and Domino (NOBO 06).
    http://joshuamlee.com Photography

--Signor Felice

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Are people just not thinking and really have no idea what it's like out there?
    Well, us folk from up north think, "Hell, it's Georgia, that's only one state away from Florida with all those palm trees and aligators. Do I really need gloves?"

Besides, this year the weather seems a bit colder than normal, at least in Jan-Feb.

Some people are continuing on. If I were on the trail, I wouldn't be. I'd have gone home and would be waiting for March.
    Frosty

Also - I expected it to be cold in Georgia in January, but I didn't expect it to reach -10* F with 40 mph winds. I've been in that kind of weather before, and worse, but with a 60 lb pack loaded up with expensive winter gear provided by my school, and with 4 or 5 other people with whom to commiserate.

--Signor Felice

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I came off trail, partly because of the cold but mostly the loneliness.
    You guys have done me a terrific service. I was thinking about starting in 2008 in mid Feb with my 15* bag.

Ha ha.

Make that mid-March.

I agree with you about the lonliness. I'm not fond of trips of more than a couple nights when I'm alone. A lot more fun with someone to share the experience.

I think you will have a much better hike, and will be very glad you delayed.
    Frosty

I enjoy brief solo trips, say going out and setting up a tent on a remote lake and hanging out for a few days or something. It's meditative. But on a long distance hike it's monotonous. I was seeing people every few days, but they were just townspeople, and once I left, I left, and would meet a whole new group of strangers... no chance of building friendships, which is part of why I wanted to hike the trail. I'm going to miss Zero, who was my one real hiker buddy for this month, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to catch up to him once I get back out there.

--Signor Felice

Images

In 2000 on Feb 29 i camped at the campground at the falls, I did not think it was that cold, finished approach trail to springer on March one. We had good weather for a week or so then it got cold, coldest night it dropped to about 15 degrees and all my filtered water froze plus my pump, which did not thaw out till i got to Carter Gap shelter(s). Only a few bad nights of rain/snow. I always sleep in a tent and carry a bag plus liner, it is heavier but nothing like a warm, dry tent and bag.

A COLD night is a long night!

I chose a 10F down sleeping bag (Moonstone 800PCT) and have a down sweater as a backup so I hope this body will be warm enough at night.

When the nights are frosty I hope you remain toasty,

Sandalwood

Take a radio and tune in to CoasttoCoastAM: George Noory or Art Bell....that stuff will keep your heart pumping into the wee hours.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

if youre gonna go that early, dont even think about doing it unless you have a good sleeping bag, preferably a 0-degree bag. it will certainly be below the 0 mark at some point. we started feb 1 with 0-degree bags. had snow all the way til SNP.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Take a radio and tune in to CoasttoCoastAM: George Noory or Art Bell....that stuff will keep your heart pumping into the wee hours.
    Is Art Bell back on? I quit listening when George Noory took over..he was terrible
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

There is a reason why most people start in March.
    If there is, I'd like to know why? April seems to be the better month to start.

April starts are fine, but then you need to move a bit more swiftly toward Katahdin. With a later start, there's also the issue of traveling through the mid-Atlantic or southern New England in the worst of the summer heat...

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    If there is, I'd like to know why? April seems to be the better month to start.
    Seven to ten years ago April 1st WAS the big start date going NOBO. but over the years people have started earlier and earlier so now March 1st to March 15th are the big start dates.

I live in Georgia and would not start before March 15th. However the earlier daylight savings time change will help this year in having more hiking time during the days.

The amount of time between sunup and sundown will be unchanged by moving the clocks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Seven to ten years ago April 1st WAS the big start date going NOBO. but over the years people have started earlier and earlier so now March 1st to March 15th are the big start dates.

I live in Georgia and would not start before March 15th. However the earlier daylight savings time change will help this year in having more hiking time during the days.
    Wow, I always knew the United States was the most powerful country in the world. Now that we control the sun no one will stop us.

The days remain the same. For every hour of day light you gain in the PM you lose in the AM. The sun moving back to the northern hemisphere is what will make the days longer. The sun could give a rats a## about what we set our clocks to.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We're starting in March only so Paul B can get back in time for college. If I had my way, I'd start in April.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Actually, I'm pretty sure the sun could give a rats @$$ about moving. The earth rotates around it, and again doesn't give a $hit about what we set our clocks too.

Having only 10-11 hours of sunglight in January was
    one of many other tribulations.

--Signor Felice

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++