WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default The whole "dry county" thing along the south half of the trail

So a hiker starts out from Springer, enjoying his hike, but also looking forward to town rests for some rewarding food and drink as well. At the end of the first 30 miles, he descends Blood Mountain into Neels Gap and is happily anticipating a hot shower and a cold beer.

Rude awakening: the very first stop on the trail where a guy might want a celebratory cold one is in a dry county. No beer, no wine, no liquor. No kidding. Not even in restaurants. There is a convenience store down the road called The Booger. Fuhgetabboutit. The guy who picks you up to take you to Goose Creek where you can rent a nice cabin is sweet. And has bible verses painted all over his van. And he frowns when asked to shuttle anyone to the neighboring non-dry country for beverages. Be glad to take ya to the Booger tho!

Of course, anyone who doesn't drink wouldn't care a whit about any of that. But I imagine there has been many a parched soul who wasn't expecting this peculiar aspect of southern hospitality upon entering the first few trail towns down there.

Hey, thems the rules. Which is why it don't hurt to carry a bit of your own. And you want to talk peculiar -- talk about PA's bizarre laws regarding acquiring alcohol.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

BYOB?

Helen is only another 20 miles drink twice as much

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Hey, thems the rules. Which is why it don't hurt to carry a bit of your own. And you want to talk peculiar -- talk about PA's bizarre laws regarding acquiring alcohol.
    They do that whole silly package store thing, right? You can't buy beer at the gas station or supermarket. Gotta go to special beverage dealers. Or, you can buy beer to go at any bar. What? Beer to go? What?

Quote Originally Posted by norub View Post
    So a hiker starts out from Springer, enjoying his hike, but also looking forward to town rests for some rewarding food and drink as well. At the end of the first 30 miles, he descends Blood Mountain into Neels Gap and is happily anticipating a hot shower and a cold beer.

Rude awakening: the very first stop on the trail where a guy might want a celebratory cold one is in a dry county. No beer, no wine, no liquor. No kidding. Not even in restaurants. There is a convenience store down the road called The Booger. Fuhgetabboutit. The guy who picks you up to take you to Goose Creek where you can rent a nice cabin is sweet. And has bible verses painted all over his van. And he frowns when asked to shuttle anyone to the neighboring non-dry country for beverages. Be glad to take ya to the Booger tho!

Of course, anyone who doesn't drink wouldn't care a whit about any of that. But I imagine there has been many a parched soul who wasn't expecting this peculiar aspect of southern hospitality upon entering the first few trail towns down there.
    every town after neel gap has alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    How about Erwin..on a Sunday?

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Default drinking problem, Jack?

i believe someone has a drinking problem....
    or
    if drinking alcohol is important, people will do whatever it takes to get it... right Jack?

hitch, taxi, pay for shuttle, or walk/hike to get it...

in the off trail world what would u do if u didn't have transportation to get to an establishment selling alcohol???

with a little planning this "situation" can be remedied, don'y ya think?

My drinking team has a hiking problem because drinking is a great sport!
    geek

Images

Default tell me about it

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    No where in the guidebook does it mention you can't get a deuce deuce, six pack, etc at a conveinent or grocery store in the lovely state of PA. You can only buy six, 12, packs, etc at bars. Before this, I had never heard of such a law.

Here is how I remember discovering this piece of inconveinient legislature:

I vividly remember Samoa and me walking into Wind Gap, PA for a resupply/rest. After we checked into a cheap hotel, I hiked over to a gas station to get some Yuengling's. Once I entered the store, I got a hollow feeling. The clerk told me you can get buy booze in conv't stores nor gorcery stores in PA. (for some reason he knew I wasn't a local) He said the only places you could buy booze were at a liquor stores or taverns.

By this point, I wasn't going to be denied, so I hike over to a liquor store. Upon entering, I saw walls of cases:::ahhh, this was it I thought to myself. Wrong. The owner told me he/PA only sells by the case. If I wanted a six pack, I was going to have to go to a bar.

Damn. I'd been hiking all day, and I was tired of hiking, but determined nonetheless. Now granted the total amt of a case was cheap, but we weren't aiming to get sloshed. All we wanted was to drink a little nectar of the God's after a rough and hot day over PA rocks...a treat Samoa and I'd been thinking of since Gyp's tavern.

After describing my predicament, which I'm sure has been described countless times before, to the liquor store owner, he secretly gave me a couple for the road.

Moral of the story: There is no moral of the story. Just add this tid-bit in your guidebook as an FYI.
    Last edited by khaynie; 02-09-2007 at 20:26.

Quote Originally Posted by norub View Post
    they still have it. tough s**t for you that you arrived on a sunday. sounds like you like drinking more than hiking.

Images

Do they have O'Douls or other non alcoholic beers? Everclear weighs less than a pound per pint(.82 lb/pint w/o container/flask). There is 1/2 an ounce of pure alcohol in a 12 oz beer. A add 1/2 ounce of Everclear from your pack to an O'Douls and get on with it.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

After church at noon, sure. if not get someone to go to those secret places for you.

RAT

i dont wanna drink in dry countys anyway. its not fun. sneeking around with a wine in a bag. and then returning to the bluberry patch drunk. not fun at too much cost of breaking the rules. im gonna wait till its easy and fun.still working on my" carry still"
    matthewski

sounds like you like drinking more than hiking.
    Sounds like your kinda people Wolf

LOL

RAT

Quote Originally Posted by RAT View Post
    Sounds like your kinda people Wolf

LOL

RAT
    They do sound like MY kinda people!
    geek

Don't believe everything you think. galaleemc's Avatar
    Images

Default Towns county

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Only beer and wine and never on Sundays - not even in restaurants.

Gotta go 20 miles to get alcohol.

Big politics about it around here.

Quote Originally Posted by galaleemc View Post
    Only beer and wine and never on Sundays - not even in restaurants.

Gotta go 20 miles to get alcohol.

Big politics about it around here.
    by alcohol i meant beer. y'all gotta move more catholic floridians up there to out number the baptists. get it voted in.

Images

If you get to Harpers Ferry on a Sunday, in WV you can't buy beer before 1300 hours.

Default that's nothin

you PBR-guzzleing wino whiners got it easy, us smokers got 14 dam dry "green" states to contend with.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Welcome to the land of legislative morality.
    They make jack daniels in a dry county too. They'll profit from it, but they don't want it in their community.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++