WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Freezer Bag Cozy Materials

I am looking to get into freezer bag cooking. I've been reading the FBC site and will use a couple of the recipes on on overnight in New Hampshire this month. If it is what I think it will be, I'll be buying the book the next day.

However, I don't want to spend a ton of money before I'm ready to commit, and that includes the $20 bucks for the foil lined bubble insulation that I've seen in one set of DIY instructions.

My question is, during the winter, will a makeshift fleece cozy (I've got dozens of fleeces hanging around) effectively insulate the bag, or is that insulation the only way to go?

Thanks in advance!

Images

Default Cozy Material

JB, I have used dollar store aluminized foam automobile window sunshield material (The roll up kind). With a cheap roll of duct tape, you can make several for a couple of bucks. doodah-man

J.B.,
    Go to Wally World and get one of those reflective silver bubble rap looking things that go in your windshield and a roll of high temp duct tape. You'll have enough material to make 10 for about 8 bucks. Peace. J.J.B.
    Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don’t matter, and those that matter don’t mind. - Dr. Seuss<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

you beat me to it . I always wanted to use one of those..........
    Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don’t matter, and those that matter don’t mind. - Dr. Seuss<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

If really cold where you are heading to, borrow an outdoor pipe insulator (the ones you put over the hookup for your garden hose). Works like a charm.
    Fleece will work, as will all of the cheapie ways up above Don't sweat it! As long as it retains heat, it will work
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

I used my fleece hat for a cozy for a plastic cup, see Sgt Rock's coffee cup. The cup also had a poly pro homemade cover.. This worked but my hat would sometimes get food on it... If I wore the hat at night i worried about critters....

I am using a fleece/wool hat when I do FBC. I have a gazzilion wool hats so carrying an extra hat in my pack is no problem. But, I am working on a FBC cozy with sleeping pad foam but me thinks going with the lighter material is the way to go as a long term solution. As other suggested, a fleece/wool is the way to go in a pinch.

Coonass from Down South jazilla's Avatar
    Images

Jim, try cooking them at home first. Its a controlled environment and you can rap it in a fleece blanket. Its better to find out at home with a cupboard full that you really don't like a meal. Plus you can fine tune the cooking process. Its always a good idea to practice with your stuff before you go out in the woods and realize you forgot something.
    "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Get a padded tyvek mailer from the UPSP/UPS/FedEx store. Cheap, durable, multi-purpose.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
    JB, I have used dollar store aluminized foam automobile window sunshield material (The roll up kind). With a cheap roll of duct tape, you can make several for a couple of bucks. doodah-man

same here,i have bought windshield blockers for a buck at dollar store
    and foil duct tape at the hardware store,they make great cheap cozies neo

These all work great, and are cheap - great advice!
    ad astra per aspera

I made a good one from 3 foam drink cozies. Cut and duck tape to whatever shape you want. I also saw a foam faucet insulator used. Lowe's or hardware stores sell these.
    Pete

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Default Walmart

Walmart sells a knit acrylic hat for $1 that only weighs an ounce.

Makes a great cozy .... and 1 oz is pretty lightweight.

++ New Posts ++