WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Best way to pick someone at Hartsfield Atlanta

I've agreed to pick someone up next Monday night and have never driven into the airport before. He'll be arriving at Concourse D at 11:45 PM.

Would it be best just to park and go meet him? But where, can I get to the gate where he's coming out? At baggage, in one of the parking areas?

No, do not park and meet him.

Get a call, if possible when he lands. From Powder Springs, head on down to the airport and plan on meeting him either at the baggage claim sidewalk (upstairs) or down below at the far exit (excellent meeting area as few folks seem to know or use it, typically used by employee buses and limos.) The airport area should be easier to meet after midnight.

I can drive up to the baggage claims area? Does each airline have their own area? He'll be on Frontier. If I can live park there how long do I have?

Images

Do you in ATL?
    Why not have him ride MARTA from the airport to somewhere closer to you?

Depends where you live

I live northwest of the airport about 30 minutes away. I guess I could have him meet me at a Marta station. How late do they run? His flight supposed to land at 11:45PM.

How long does it take the train to get to North Springs station from the airport?

Marta used to run as late as 12. At least they did when I worked at the airport. At that hour though it's just the same to pick him up outside of the baggage claim. It won't be very heavy as far as traffic goes and you should ba able to pull up and pick him up curbside. Have him wear something distinctive though so you can find him. Making the loop more than once is a pain.

Thanks. At that hour I don't mind going into the airport. And it'll save some time.

Images

I always enjoyed a friendly face at baggage claim. Always used a backup spot like the Herz counter. Pick and agree on which Hertz counter! Midnight at a big airport can be fun.

Well, you could park in the hourly rate area across the street from Baggage Claim. You cannot park on the street without getting towed, ticketed and tattooed. Frequently, Atlanta PD have assaulted little old ladies for stopping too long while awaiting passengers.

Typically, you drive thru slowly looking for the passenger, stop for a couple of minnutes and get moved along to reorbit and return to the same spot. My experience is less harrassment in the underground greeting area.

Go to the Atlanta Jackson/Hartfield website to know which side has Frontier (I'd bet North) and practice the manuvers sometime Saturday when traffic is typically low. Sunday Midnight should be very low also. MARTA is not a great plan due to the late hour. Otherwise, I'd suggest Marta to 5-Points and west to the end of the line (H something), but I've found that adds an additional hour to their trip.

Images

I concur with OB. The orbit technique works good. If you both have cell phones it works better. You leave your home, plan to get to the airport 45min to an hour after he lands to allow him to get his bags. If he has the bags prior to your arrival have him wait in baggage claim until you get to the airport. Call him and have him walk out on to the sidewalk (the curb is about 20' from the door). He waves you down and you get him.

If you get to the airport before he has his bags you can orbit the airport loop or park until told to move by the police and then orbit. Use the phone as above to make final coordinations.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I agree with Orangebug. Lived in Atlanta for 16 years and now travel back to visit with my daughter/son. What works best for us is as follows. Get yourself positioned somewhere close to the airport (15 - 20 minute driving distance) right around the scheduled arrival time. Have the passenger call you as soon as their plane lands and he/she is allowed to turn on their cell phone (if they have one). Otherwise just have them call you on a pay phone by the gate. From the D gates it will take them about 10 - 15 minutes to get to baggage claim. Of course then they have the wait for baggage, assuming they checked their luggage (backpack ??). Have them walk outside the doors immediately outside baggage claim and make sure they know what kind of car you'll be driving.

Worst case scenario, you'll drive up to baggage claim and they won't be there. Just do another slow loop around inside the airport back to baggage claim.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug View Post

Go to the Atlanta Jackson/Hartfield website to know which side has Frontier (I'd bet North) and practice the manuvers sometime Saturday when traffic is typically low. Sunday Midnight should be very low also. MARTA is not a great plan due to the late hour.
    You expect me to drive in a couple days early and do a recon? Hahaha, not a chance.

Thanks, I wasn't sure how the airport was set up. Asheville Regional, it's not! I should be OK finding him at curbside. I emailed him my cell number and car description and asked his.

Default How much money are you trying to save?

Unless you're down to your last couple of dollars, why not spend a few bucks at short term (daily) parking, go into the airport, go to the 24 hour coffee shop in the attrium and kick back while waiting on your friend's plane. Meet this person at the top of the escallator coming from the gates, at baggage claim, or right at the coffee shop (right behind the afore mentioned escallator) The plane could be late,and being inside will allow you to relax and see when the plane will actually land.

I'm not trying to save any money, just time. I want to get in and out of there asap. I can check to see if the flight is on time before I leave home for the airport....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I'm not trying to save any money, just time. I want to get in and out of there asap. I can check to see if the flight is on time before I leave home for the airport....
    I agree w/ Speer Carrier here, Sly. I'd check on the expected flight arrival time before leaving home, get to the airport and park in hourly parking. Walk in and get coffee / your beverage of choice. Have your friend call you when he lands, then meet him at the top of the escalator that all passengers arriving into the airport come up. I'd rather go in and wait a few minutes rather than repeatedly drive around the annoying loop at the Atlanta airport.

I also agree w/ those that have said you won't be able to park curbside for more than a minute or so:

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_art...?storyid=55260

scuttlebutt I hear is that Atlanta Policemen get airport duty as punishment duty, or because they don't measure up. The officer in the linked story above was finally fired 6 months later - but later reinstated by the Atlanta Civil Service Board - presumably not reassigned to the airport? I wouldn't push any gray areas - especially on their late shift.....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

That fat **** deserved to be kicked in the gonads! OK, back to square one. Park and meet him.

Good luck Sly!
    At least you won't have to deal with the traffic around ATL, a drag indeed!
    ad astra per aspera

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++