WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default How do you carry peanut butter?

What kind of container do you put it in? Im trying to expand past the lipton/ramen mealsa nd im a big fan of PB. PB sammiches are the best.

1000+ miles, baby! (and more to come) Webs's Avatar
    Images

They make single-serve squeeze tubes, little mini-tubs of it (like a single-serve coffee-creamer tub, only a little larger) that can be found in breakfast buffets, and the smallest jar I've seen is 12 oz. If you're brave you can try putting it in a ziploc and cutting a corner off and slurping it down! But I can definetely seen some messy consequences of a weak bag......
    To hope means to be ready at every moment for that which is not yet born, and yet not become desperate if there is no birth in our lifetime.

I'm no feather weight backpacker, I take the plastic jar, usually filled half and half with pb and strawberry preserves.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    What kind of container do you put it in? Im trying to expand past the lipton/ramen mealsa nd im a big fan of PB. PB sammiches are the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Webs View Post
    They make single-serve squeeze tubes, little mini-tubs of it (like a single-serve coffee-creamer tub, only a little larger) that can be found in breakfast buffets, and the smallest jar I've seen is 12 oz. If you're brave you can try putting it in a ziploc and cutting a corner off and slurping it down! But I can definetely seen some messy consequences of a weak bag......
    Double bag it. Bag with cut corner inside another ziploc.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

If you don't want to carry a jar check http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

If I can't find the tubes of pnut butter I generally get the smallest plastic container and carry it until it's gone. Lot of times I just bought the pre-made pnut butter/cheeze crackers.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Any plastic container (eg Tupperware, Rubbermaid) with a snap lid. Any decent supermarket has 'em.

In a ziplock??

That's a recipe for disaster.

And filling those squeeze tubes is a profound pain in the ass.

Most people carry their peanut butter as God intended, i.e. in its original jar.
    If you're worried about the weight, then stick to the small-sized jars.

The little tubs that someone mentioned are OK, but they tend to get squashed and explode all over the place. If you're gonna carry things like that, double ziplock them.

Images

[quote=Jack Tarlin;325850]

Most people carry their peanut butter as God intended, i.e. in its original jar.

=============================

Never knew peanut butter was subject to divine intervention Jack.

'Slogger

Images

[quote=Footslogger;325855]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post

=============================

Never knew peanut butter was subject to divine intervention Jack.

'Slogger
    PB is serious business. It's gotta be in the Old Testament somewhere.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

[quote=Skidsteer;325860]
    Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post

PB is serious business. It's gotta be in the Old Testament somewhere.
    ==============================

This thread is destined to major swerve !! ...and it's all Jack's fault !!

'Slogger

Images

they also have pb&j all in the same jar these days. its great! and that way you don't have to carry jelly, its all mixed in.

i agree, carry the jar, or a smaller tupperware container. its worth the weight!

Images

All 18 oz right in the plastic jar. Same with the honey. A long as it's not in a glass jars or paper packaging, I don't repackage much of anything. It generally just leads to more trouble than it's worth.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I double ziploc mine with a corner cut off the inner bag.

Of course you could carry it like this... http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/peanut_butter_kid.htm

I used to think the jars with the jelly mixed in were REALLY disgusting (something about those purple stripes) but on a hiking trip, it actually make a lots of sense.

But at the end of the day, you can't beat Skippy Honey Nut Creamy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    I double ziploc mine with a corner cut off the inner bag.

Of course you could carry it like this... http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/peanut_butter_kid.htm
    I'm glad that PB container is in the pic and the kid's hand wasn't in his diaper - 'cause that stuff looks pretty much the same after being processed.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Geezer

Consider also taking along Nutella for a change from peanut butter. Hazelnut-chocolate spread. A little thicker than pb, so not so good in very cold weather, but spread on a bagel - yum!
    Frosty

Images

After last weeks PB salmonella scare, not sure I want to eat any!

Even scarier! I just went thru the cabinet looking for a container for some leftovers... and there was an old PB plastic jar... OH look, theres some numbers on the lid... whats that? 2111? OH MY GAWD! I have one of the recalled jars!

Well, I guess since I have already eaten the whole thing (and it was the gi-normous feed a family of 8 for a week, size) I guess it wasnt contaminated... Oh well, so much for my get rich quick, class action law suit scheme...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I'm glad that PB container is in the pic and the kid's hand wasn't in his diaper - 'cause that stuff looks pretty much the same after being processed.
    That was my first thought!

At least it wasn't chunky.

Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post
    After last weeks PB salmonella scare, not sure I want to eat any!

Even scarier! I just went thru the cabinet looking for a container for some leftovers... and there was an old PB plastic jar... OH look, theres some numbers on the lid... whats that? 2111? OH MY GAWD! I have one of the recalled jars!

Well, I guess since I have already eaten the whole thing (and it was the gi-normous feed a family of 8 for a week, size) I guess it wasnt contaminated... Oh well, so much for my get rich quick, class action law suit scheme...
    That lot # must've been the biggest friggin' lot ever made, I know at least 10 people that claim they had the"poison" lot in their houses. And I don't talk to that many people. ( but evidently we like peanut butter since we (me & friends/co-workers) talk so much about it!)
    Last edited by freefall; 02-21-2007 at 00:29.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++