WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by stuco View Post
    We plan on 6-7 days to get to heflin. Who knows we might keep on keepin' on after that
    What day did you say you were leaving?

We're leaving this coming Sunday. Our rough plan is to be in Heflin Friday night. The constraint we have is that we want to finish up by Friday, March 30, preferably in the morning.
    Frosty

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    What day did you say you were leaving?

We're leaving this coming Sunday. Our rough plan is to be in Heflin Friday night. The constraint we have is that we want to finish up by Friday, March 30, preferably in the morning.
    Either Tomorrow or EARLY saturday morning.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stuco View Post
    Either Tomorrow or EARLY saturday morning.
    Well if we dont see you, at least leave us "a sign" that you were there!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post
    Well if we dont see you, at least leave us "a sign" that you were there!
    Maybe you will pick up some free "heavyweight" gear

Images

Just spoke with Frosty and he's in Rome, Ga. I'll be meeting him tomorrow morning in Cave Spring. We'll arrive atthe trail head at Bull Gap around noon for our thru!

N2O2 was out doing some trail maintenance (yea! and thanks!) and reported some sad news of clear cut destruction on the north end...

He is going to try to see us off at the trailhead also!

Frosty and I both will be attending the AHTS conference at Cheaha SP after our completion. A full report will follow upon our return!

Bu-bye all and see you in 2 weeks!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Anyone know where I-20 crosses the Pinhoti (mile marker)? Ill be traveling that way next week and am thinking of doing some trail magic for Frosty and AlHikerGal. Will they be past there by next week if they're taking 2 weeks to hike?

OK, I see where they need to be in Heflin by 3/30. That's cool. Anyone know how to get on the trail off of I-20 near Heflin?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    OK, I see where they need to be in Heflin by 3/30. That's cool. Anyone know how to get on the trail off of I-20 near Heflin?
    been there many times while sectioning the pinhoti. Take the Oxford exit. eh screw it...i just looked it up from solo's website. here's what it says

http://www.pnrt.net/5.html

I would probably just meet them at a forest service road--that would be the easiest thing to do. USFS 500 is just a few miles off the interstate.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

oh..and it crosses at mm 66.7

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    oh..and it crosses at mm 66.7
    They must've changed the mile markers recently. The exits for Oxford/Anniston are now 188 and 185.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    They must've changed the mile markers recently. The exits for Oxford/Anniston are now 188 and 185.
    In order to find the a trailhead before Heflin, would I get off at Oxford or Heflin? I know it's against LNT, but I'll probably just tie something to a tree with names and an expiration date on it.

Images

In order to find the a trailhead before Heflin, would I get off at Oxford or Heflin? I know it's against LNT, but I'll probably just tie something to a tree with names and an expiration date on it.
    Can't help there, Sly. I'll bet Two Speed knows exactly how to get there, though. He hiked it recently.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Can't help there, Sly. I'll bet Two Speed knows exactly how to get there, though. He hiked it recently.
    Thanks, I'll PM him if he doesn't respond in a couple days.

I'm meeting them at the Hojo's in Heflin on Friday night. They are having a resupply delivered by a friend there. I missed them at Bull Gap by about 1/2 hour so I drove up FS road 600-1 (thats one bumpy road) and met them at mile 6.6 at the high tension lines with some gatorade. It looks like they are going to have good weather all week. I am going to meet them Friday and hike with them for 4 days, until tuesday anyone else want to join???

Did some trail work with the ATA club on a section north of Salem church road, rerouted some trail and built a bridge. The loggin in the area has really done some damage.

Here is some current info about the trail from the ATA club who maintain the northern most section.

March 17

At the quarterly Alabama Trails Association board meeting it was decided that the southern half of the ATA Section from the High Point Trailhead at mile 126.8, north to the Salem Church Road Crossing at mile 131.8, is now officially closed until further notice due to timber operations in that area.

As of today, the Davis Mountain Shelter, at mile 128.8, is easily accessable from the High Point Trailhead, but beyond there to Salem Church we couldn't find the trail and doubt that you could either.

The logging is still in progress and may continue for a good while. In the mean time we suggest a road walk from the High Point Trailhead to the Salem Church Road Crossing.

Go left from the High Point Trailhead on US 278 for appx. 200 yards to the first paved road on the right, CR 45. Turn right.
    Go 0.5 miles to CR 8, just past the Hurricane Creek Bridge. Turn right.
    Go 2.1 miles to the Salem Church Road Crossing, just past a yellow gated logging road on the left.
    The north trail is on the left.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hopefully this section will be ready to re-open by next hiking season. I'll start posting work dates as soon as we see the logging and re-planting operation come to an end.

Thanks.

Solo

I have hiked from the hwy77 trailhead to Heflin. Really good trails most of the way. only problems that we encountered were lots of blowdowns near Heflin. going to go from Heflin to the Ga. line 1st week of April. The best views are on the south side of Cheaha back towards Adams Gap.. Good water, beautiful views.... what more could you ask for. You can go to yahoo groups and have a look at the pics

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
    I'm meeting them at the Hojo's in Heflin on Friday night. They are having a resupply delivered by a friend there.

This coming Friday night or next (3/30)?

This Friday the 23rd. We will be at the AHTS conference on the 30th at Cheaha.

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
    This Friday the 23rd. We will be at the AHTS conference on the 30th at Cheaha.
    Ah, now I get it. I won't be in the area until next Monday night or Tuesday. Are they going south?

I was referring to the trail milemarker. The trail crosses I-20 at mm 66.7. You are correct about the exit numbers for Oxford area.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Ah, now I get it. I won't be in the area until next Monday night or Tuesday. Are they going south?
    no, they are going north.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++