WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I use the nearest petite female hiker Hiking dogs work well too !

RAT

Images

Default Cat Pillow

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    well...since the cat died....
    Now that is funny. Disturbing ... but funny

Images

I got a stuff sack with a soft inner lining so you can turn it inside out. When I wore all my clothes, or near enough to not make any difference as a pillow, I put my boots under my bedroll, put my tiny sack with underwear, socks, and a T shirt on top of the bedroll, on top of the boots. Worked great for me.

I will try using my platapus water bab next time on top of my shoes.

Images

My wife and I use the inflatable water wings like Medicineman mentioned. The wife made pillow cases for them from an old flannel shirt that was headed for the rag bag.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

my food bag

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    For a pillow I use, are you ready for this....a pillow.
    Yay for people who actually use pillows!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    well...since the cat died....
    Oh my god, Geek. I can't describe to you how hard I laughed when I read this.

I usually sleep with my legs up on my pack and my head on the nearest side-sleepers butt. Unless it's bfitz, 'cause he's kinda gassy.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I use a luxury lite pillow. It weighs 5 ounces and is big. It has a thin lower of foam and an air chamber that you blow up with a straw. Search for luxury lite pillow in google. Awesome!

I've used a few things in the past (down vest, stuff sack filled w/ clothes, water wings), and now have settled into using my Platy water bladder. This is especially helpful in the winter, just filter a couple of liters of water, and it won't freeze overnight, so you don't have to do something else in the morning. The only problem i got is that my bladder sprung a leak near the spout, and I'm worried that this may have been caused by using it as a pillow when filled with water. I'm going to try experimenting with using less water next time. I really like not having to carry something extra to use.

Using clothing works really well, and is possibly more comfy, but all of my clothing is typically worn so i can carry a lightweight quilt...

That sounds like me too. I carry a light (19) oz 30 F fanatic fringe quilt. Sleep in almost all my clothes but my wind shirt. Golite helios 3.5 oz. which is not enough for a pillow.

Images

I sleep in my polypro thermals and stuff my fleece top in the unzipped leg of my convertible pants. Expect in summer when everything (except my polypros, my running shorts and tec-tee) are bounced, then I stuff whatever I can in my sleeping bag stuffsack. If I can't find a second use for something I usually ditch it.

My wife made a pillow cover about 10x8 inches. I will put moss or leaves or sand or roll of toilet paper or stinky socks or dead mice and dog fur... in a zip lock bag inside the pillow case if I have to use ALL my clothing to stay warm.

Sandalwood

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Default Dreamsack

I use a Granite Gear Dreamsack. Just like their small stuff sacks with one side (about 40%) fleece covered. I use it as a stuff sack for small items while hiking, and stuff it with clothes, etc. at night. 360 cu in / 57 grams.

If it's cold and I'm wearing everything, I do what others have mentioned...my pack goes under my legs and Platy (with shutoff valve!) under my head. If extra "height" is needed such as when side sleeping, the trail runners get thrown in a stuff sack and arranged under there as well.

When all my clothes are being used to keep me warm, and I am sleeping flat, I sometimes have put my pack into my clothes stuff sack. That works pretty well. Except that I sometimes use the pack as insultion under my legs. I have also put my cookpot under a pair of gloves. If I really got desperate, I would use the cookpot or a piece of wood and put some leaves in my empty clothes stuff sack as something to soften the pot or log. I have not done that yet.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Images

I used a Nalgene once on a cold night when I was wearing all my clothing. It's actually more comfortable than it sounds.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Anything I don't have on in a silnylon bag and a strategically placed arm.
    ad astra per aspera

i can rest on boots or pack or even rock if i must. and no pillows is fine too. my 6 litre msr dromedary goes under my knees.but i stopped putting it under my pad and now put it only between pad and bag. this works better and is way safer both for freezing and breakage. try it. trust me , you wont go back. its softer and beter that way.
    matthewski

Lots of creative ideas on this thread! Some I had not heard of.

Sometimes its so cool to learn stuff here on WB!
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Dick's Sporting Goods in Atlanta, across from REI and located in the Mall of Georgia, had a large bin of camping pillows that were discounted. All kinds. I got one and it was really nice. A pillow can take up a lot of room in your backpack. When I pack it up in the morning, I bind it with some twine to make it smaller. I guess a compression sack would make it even smaller, but since I'm a dirtbagger, I have none of those.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++