WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

But Montrail Hardrocks of course! The official trail runner of the AT and other long distance trails!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

I started wearing Montrail Hardrocks two years ago and won't look back. Their amazing for me, and I usually pick up a pair or two whenever they go on sale for about $50. I currently have three pairs to start me on my thru (but the first pair already has a good 300-400 miles). Therefore, they are about as cheap as the sneaker brands, while fitting me better and lasting me longer.

But, what fits you is of ultramost importance. When my boyfriend went looking to by his first set of trail runners I started him at the Montrails, but we finished at the Merrels that fit him perfectly. He is still amazed that shoes can fit so well. Find what works for you and your feet will thank you for it.

Pink
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. - John Muir

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

This is a great thread in terms of demonstrating the wide range of choices and preferences regarding trail shoes.

Everyone's feet are different and trial/error is probably the best way to determine what shoe is best for YOU.

What's especially interesting to me is that different shoes from the same manufacturer don't always work for the same hiker. In other words ...I first converted to trail shoes using the Montrail Java. Still have one unused pair in a box in the closet and wouldn't trade it for anything. That said, when I began narrowing down my selection for an upcoming PCT thru I first went to Montrail and ordered 3 -4 different shoes, including the Hardrock (which is highly regarded by many on this thread) and really didn't like them. I had never owned/worn a pair of New Balance before in my life but took a chance on a great price (on-line) and ordered a pair of 809's. Liked them so much I quick ordered 5 more pair at that low price and now I'm set to go.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Asics Eagle Trail Gel with green Superfeet footbeds - work well for me but I wish I could find the same in a bigger width so I could use heavier socks

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Talking #1 trail runner

trail runner???
    lone wolf. heard he can run pretty fast, 'specially when there's beer to be drank!

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

NB 806s (or whatever the latest model in this style, started w/ 803s) wide width w/ superfeet & allot of achilles stretching for plantar fasciitis.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Sandals

I start last week in April.

I will be wearing sandals, Teva Trail Wraptors, to be exact.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

salomon xa pro 3d for most of the year. Winter hiking in the XA Pro XCR. With gaiters feet stay warm and dry. Can't use inserts or my heels get torn off.

Completely depends on your foot type...Montrails are bad news for me, heels blister in under an hour.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

New Balance 809's used them on this trip.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21870

After the 806's , New Balance started making the 80x line of shoes lighter at the sacrifice of durability and lateral support. Also I heard a lot of complaints about the rubber toe thingie coming off and flapping on post 806's.

GA-ME-04
    Images

Montrail Hardrock
    One pair lasted from Damascus to Mt Washington.

POPTART!!!!!!

Oh, wait.....you said trail runners not ridge runners.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Montrail Hurricane Ridge XCR
    Do your feet get wet from the goretex? I'd like to switch to trail runners, but I am not sure if I want goretex or not.

Images

I vote for Goretex in winter (snow), and non-Goretex mesh for 3-season use. The Hurricane Ridge are my winter choice -- they keep my feet warmer and drier. But GT is way too hot for warm-weather hiking. Mesh runners dry out quickly after they get wet.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

New Balance 907s - worth every penny

Merrell pulse II

2005 Camino de santiago

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodroot View Post
    I like Merrel Chameleon's.
    I just bought a pair. Will be trying them out on a test hike over April Fool's. I used to be perfer Montrails. The jury is still out.
    Zeke

Thanks for your input folks!

I got a pair of Montrails on clearance at a local outfitter and was really happy. I really do like the sole, much better than my previous 'normal' running shoes, where over the course of the day I'd feel each root/rock thru my shoes. So i strongly disagree with the member who said that trail runners are added unnecessary weight over the normal running shoes. The soles are well worth it.

Also, I'd try to discourage you from getting a pair of New Balances. I've had New Balances on and off fro the past few years, casually and for hiking, and won't ever buy another pair, for either use. I know they are wildly popular, but just are not durable at all. I do think they are comfortable, but like others have said, where the shoe front connects to the rubber sole on the front came unglued within a month. Also, if you have bony heels like I do, you'll wear out the lining inside the show behind your heel quickly, and then they are extremely uncomfortable. These Montrails have never done either, just some wear on the side from where I guess I've kicked rocks, etc.

The only thing about Montrails is that they tend to have a narrower toe box. I hadn't really thought of this when I got mine, but on a 2 day hike at Roan Mountain, I noticed that my toes toe nails started to turn black when I got home. I'm assuming they were getting crushed on some of the steep downhills, which hadn't happened before, and hasn't since, but something I will be looking out for on my upcoming thru.

I'm glad you've decided to ditch the unnecssary boots, and I'm confident that you won't ever look back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++