WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

No sam I don't. This isn't a verbal conversation either. But for those who aren't here all the time to watch their thread come home from work and see 15 new posts or so. Only to read a thread that has deviated like this one. Was just trying to help this thread a little. But my efforts failed. Sorry Blissful!

Yep, go off quietly thats my "last minute" plan and see how it goes maybe a few beers with my roomate the night before I leave, I hope i'm not on that phone Wolf talks about...............
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Wolf View Post
    I hope i'm not on that phone Wolf talks about...............
    i really hope you won't be either.

kicking around ideas for the next adventure 1Pint's Avatar
    Images

Default Bbq

Blissful,
    I'm glad you & PB had a nice send off with people you care about.

My roommates & I are having a casual BBQ at the house the weekend before I leave. Not a going away party. Not a pre-thru-hike party. Just a simple, everyday, backyard BBQ.

I keep telling everyone that I have all the gear I need so they won't buy me stuff or gift certs to Campmor/REI/wherever. I've told them that what I would love would be mail from them after I'm farther up the trail. Something to look forward to on those town stops. We'll see how it goes.

Best of luck 2007!!
    Laura
    "It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." Train

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

I quit work this Friday, party at my condo Saturday, you're all invited! I asked them NOT to do anything for me at work; those types of "get togethers" are always insincere and stupid. Plus,I don't like many people I work with. The cool ones will be invited to Saturday's soiree!
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I'm not doing a thru this year but I am thinking about having a cookout this weekend in honor of all those who are ...

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I want a party! But instead I'll probably just slink off into the wilderness.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Isn't pushing through the pain, the misery, the wanting to quit part of the experience? I would think that if it was easy, everyone would do it and so whats the big deal. Pushing past the bad parts would make the accomplishment that much more of a great growth experience right? I expect to want to quit at some period and I expect I'll push on through, I expect also, that if I am miserable for too too long, I'll come off. I wonder where that line is drawn for me... Man, this is gonna be good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coralrives View Post
    I quit work this Friday, party at my condo Saturday, you're all invited! I asked them NOT to do anything for me at work; those types of "get togethers" are always insincere and stupid. Plus,I don't like many people I work with. The cool ones will be invited to Saturday's soiree!

When are you starting Johnny? Do you have your trailhead travel arrangements set? Perhaps I can help....

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    When are you starting Johnny? Do you have your trailhead travel arrangements set? Perhaps I can help....
    Hey Sly!
    I start March 13th. My brother will be coming in from VA to drive me up from Panama City Beach to Springer. I think we'll be staying at that Hostel for a night or maybe two before the 13th. I greatly appreciate the offer though brother! And If we can get anyone where they need to go as well..... let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by coralrives View Post
    Hey Sly!
    I start March 13th. My brother will be coming in from VA to drive me up from Panama City Beach to Springer.
    You're not doing the Approach Trail? Maybe I'll come up around that time and hike for a couple days. I'm brutally out of hiking shape and need to get out before I head west.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    You're not doing the Approach Trail? Maybe I'll come up around that time and hike for a couple days.
    I don't know if I will or not. That kinda thing, like blue blazing or slacking doesn't matter to me. I'm certainly not a purist. However I will not be yellow blazing... Come on out, I think Legs is going to try and start with me if he can swing it.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    what happens is a lot of people end up quitting, and early on just after the big party and the local newspaper article about the hike. best to just tell a few people. if you make it have a party.

Exactly whats happening to me right now. I half feel I wish I had kept my plans close to the vest . I live in a small community in southern cal with many friends whom I shared my dream of hiking the AT with They threw a nice party, great people, well meaning, very positive and interested in my life. All good and as I walked up to the party, people dressed up as trees, loggers, hikers and hunters.

I was stoked and feeling very lucky to have such friends.
    THEN I saw the banner they made me

BIG D

CONQUERS

THE APPLALACIAN TRAIL '07

sighned with carring messages all over it.
    I about had a stroke, heart failure, and soiled my shorts all at once.

C O N Q U E R S

Many of my friends surf, DO YOU CONQUER A WAVE or SURF SPOTS ? Does anyone conquer anything in nature ?

As the party progressed I stayed FAAAAAR away from the banner. It was made with love, I know that but did I mention a migrain and ulcer too ?

Mass quanities of beer, kisses, food and hugs and a few hours later I was fine. The banner is going back and my trail name placed where that "WORD" went. All is good just a few more goodbye drinks and family get together's.(with as many hiking miles in between)

Not much is going to plan, ............. that should prepair me for Trail life, I say to myself.

Wolf is right : a welcome home party would have been my choice too, Trail Hiked and Completed.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'll have a welcome home party too- but I'll throw that one, complete with pics of the hike on the big screen, etc. My going away gathering was mainly a get together with friends to say good-bye and wish us well, since we'll be gone a long time.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Wolf's comments early in this thread might seem petty and mean to some, but to be perfectly blunt, he's made a very valid point:

An awful lot of folks do indeed quit in the first few days or weeks of the trip.....despite being better informed about the Trail; having better and lighter equipment; having more services and businesses aimed at hikers....despite all of this, close to half of all people who start from Georgia don't get to the Virginia line. Hell, scores of them don't get to the North Carolina ine.

Having a farewell dinner with friends or family is, of course, a nice thing to do before one hits the Trail, but it's probably best to keep it arelatively subdued affair.

Big celebrations are perhaps more in order the day after one returns to their home, and not the day before one leaves it.

That being said, there's always a festive celebration at Five-Olde Nugget Alley here in Hanover when I leave for the Trail in the spring.

But they usually wait to start the festivities until after they're sure I'm on the Train south!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know - I find it amazing when one celebrates with friends a venture to be had, because the odds are against you, you shouldn't have a party, or you should keep it sedate, like it's a no no to be positive when you start.

I know the odds are very, very, very, very (and shall I say) very long. It's been said at least one hundred times (if not more) here on White Blaze for those of us who have been here a while - staring me in the face, like someone wagging their finger (uh,uh uh, the odds are against you, don't get so excited, wear a long face, get all nervous and wacked out 'cause everyone drops out). Maybe it's time to stop quoting odds and just give some encouragement, that no matter where you go or how far, you're still a winner and an AT hiker that will be welcomed back.

If anything, having a great send off motivates you to keep going when it gets rough. To not give up. I got many messages too of encouragement, written down for me which I have in my trail journal to ponder. I need that BEFORE I go, not after.

I can see having the big bash when you return. But I surely need the support of friends now, knowing they are there for me, praying and thinking of me, before I leave.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by chicote View Post
    No sam I don't. This isn't a verbal conversation either. But for those who aren't here all the time to watch their thread come home from work and see 15 new posts or so. Only to read a thread that has deviated like this one. Was just trying to help this thread a little. But my efforts failed. Sorry Blissful!

Ok, sorry if I sounded condescending. I only meant that meandering is part of normal conversation, and certainly a part of online, or at WB, thread progression...makes it more fun for us ENTHUSIASTS (thru-hikers welcome) of the AT!! The many differing points of view are what make for conversation, trying to force a conversation in a direction makes it awkward....

...Anyways, I don't think Wolf was being negative, or wishing ill will on anyone, just the oposite...he is a bit of a realist.

Personally, I prefer it when someone tells me my shirt doesn't match my tie BEFORE I go out the front door.....

Geez, this is getting silly.

A guy starts a thread wondering how many people had, or were planning to have sendoff parties. It's a fair question.

A very experienced A.T. hiker then suggests that people might want to reconsider big shindigs in case they find themselves at home again only two weeks after their departure.

Which, unfortunately, happens more often than you might think.

This doesn't mean that the thread has been "deviated", whatever the hell that means. It means that someone has presented an alternative viewpoint, and made comments designed to make people think.

Which is sorta what I thought an interactive Forum was all about.

I dunno about you guys, but if my friends and family threw me a big expensive wingding in someone's house or a nice rerstaurant, spent a lotta money, bought gifts, whatever.....I know that if all this whoopdedoo was done for me, and then I slunk on home ten days later cuz the Trail was too much for me....... well if I didn't have a broken leg or something, I'd feel pretty silly. And so would you.

And that viewpoint is what Wolf's "deviation" was all about.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Yeah, I'm making sure the attendees at my brannigan know that this is not a going away party or a bon voyage party, but a come-spend-some-time-with-me-cause-I-may-be-gone-a-while-party.

I visit with close friends and family in the last weeks before a trek. If a workplace wants to throw a going away get together at a bar or something, that's fine. That's the plan for this year too.

Taking the steps to even attempt a thru-hike is following a dream. It's worth celebrating even if it doesn't pan out. With that said, I try to be low key when I head off to hike.

Wolf and Jack are right. A large number of people don't make it. I've watched them call it quits. They are all ages, from all walks of life, and have all levels of backpacking experience. If it would bother you to have a huge send off or write up in the paper and be home in a week or two, it is a very real possiblity.

Enjoy the parties and well wishing! I know that I sure do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++