WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: solo tents

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    the only thing i read that people have a problem with is the rainfly dosnt go all the way to the ground and it can get breezy, is it a big problem? now im torn between the hubba and 2SL....
    I read that too but I also see that they say they didnt stake out the fly right either. I just got it so I cant say much other than I set it up a REI and broke it down real fast by myself. It is free standing with a good vestibule. Lite for its size.Roomy for one with your pack. Watch out if you buy the Seedhouse 1SL online. They use the picture of the Seedhouse 2SL. This is not what the poles look like. The poles are not the same. You need to use stakes to hold one end so its not really a free standing. You could use a hiking pole side ways to hold it open. I didnt like it.
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Mike,
    I am hiking the PCT this year and have the same problem. I've hiked the AT x2 and only used a tarp and was happy but feel as though I need a tent out west.
    I've purchased 5 tents / tarptents since October. I'm taking the Hubba. Seems like the best of the bunch for me. Got it used on ebay, in new condition set up twice by the original owner---$110.
    Good luck and have fun.

geek
    I set up the Hubba at REI. It seemed like a big Bivy to me. It is easy to set up but i am 5' 11'' and I was almost touching both ends. Go to REI they carry both Seedhouse and Hubba
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Chache View Post
    I set up the Hubba at REI. It seemed like a big Bivy to me. It is easy to set up but i am 5' 11'' and I was almost touching both ends. Go to REI they carry both Seedhouse and Hubba
    Chache,
    I can appreciate your problem----I am only 5'6" but I touch both sides!!!!
    I hope to get thinner but...good luck with the height thing!

geek

yea i dont plan on buying online, i'd rather have the chance to see it in person.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chache View Post

I am 5'10 and have no problems storing items at the head or the foot of the Hubba. I picked it over the Seedhouse. I just didn't like that tent.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Thru' hiker one weekend at a time... vipahman's Avatar
    Images

I like my SMD Lunar Solo given that it packs about the same size as a 1L Nalgene. Internal space is great. Vestibule is very usable. And it is light at 1 lb 11 oz for the heavier floor. My stakes and poles do double duty so I don't count their weight.
    -Avi
    AT completed: NJ6-1, NY13-2, CT5-2

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I don't know if I missed any responses so if I did I am sorry.

I tried out the Single wall Northface at REI. I got in with no sleeping bag and I was touching at both ends.

I am torn between the Seedhouse SL and the Hubba as well. I currently have a quarterdome which I love but I think it's a bit heavy to carry on a long trip.

Freestanding is a big issue with me, although I think the Seedhouse has to be staked a bit but still freestanding enough for me.

Good luck on your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by mel-gazelle View Post
    Freestanding is a big issue with me, although I think the Seedhouse has to be staked a bit but still freestanding enough for me.
    I know Mike G. isn't interested in this, but for what it's worth: if you've got a pair of hiking poles, the Tarptent Rainbow is every bit as freestanding as the Big Agnes SL1.

I'll also say that the BA SL1 would be my 2nd choice after the Rainbow.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I thought about the rainbow but I don't have the cashflow to get one.
    I do have gift cards from REI though and a store credit of 100 bucks.

I am defenitely checking out the tarptents in the future though.

Quote Originally Posted by mel-gazelle View Post
    I thought about the rainbow but I don't have the cashflow to get one.
    I do have gift cards from REI though and a store credit of 100 bucks.

I am defenitely checking out the tarptents in the future though.
    Obviously the credits & gift card matter -- but REI's price on the SL1 ($249) exceeds the price of the Rainbow with floor ($215) or Rainbow w/o floor ($185.) Anway, the SL1 is a nice tent. Enjoy.

If you are fond of the MSR tents check out the zoid 1 and zoid 1.5

Images

Mike G,

Wow, lots of opinions and experience in this post. FWIW, I have a $30 texsport "bivy". I don't know the definition of a bivy, but for $30 and max 3# it's a great deal. Real roomy for one, tight for two.

After seam sealing I've never had a leak. IMO, you can spend a lot more $$ to get marginal benefits.

Stag3

I like my Black Diamond Firstlight. It weighs 2 1/2 lbs packed, you can pitch it blindfolded from inside the tent and it'll hold you and all your gear easily. It will also hold a friend you are close with. If you vent it properly you won't have issues with condesation, especially sleeping alone - you won't touch the walls and there is a lot more room for your vapor to dissipate compared to solo-single-walls. I wish it wasn't quite so yellow, and it isn't cheap, but if you like having a real tent you'll have a hard time finding better, in my opinion.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Hoku View Post
    I like my Black Diamond Firstlight. It weighs 2 1/2 lbs packed, you can pitch it blindfolded from inside the tent and it'll hold you and all your gear easily. It will also hold a friend you are close with. If you vent it properly you won't have issues with condesation, especially sleeping alone - you won't touch the walls and there is a lot more room for your vapor to dissipate compared to solo-single-walls. I wish it wasn't quite so yellow, and it isn't cheap, but if you like having a real tent you'll have a hard time finding better, in my opinion.
    That was my other choice before I got the seedhouse2 sl. It does look very nice. I am sure I will own it someday. I seem to be on a gear obsession. Just got the Seedhouse, marmot atom sleeping bag and jetboil on Monday. Somebody stop me

Hey, I was a flexible 19 year old when I thru hiked... I used a tarp and think they are superior to tents for three season use as a backpacking shelter, especially in consistently wet, rainy weather. I'm using my tarp on the PCT this year as well. Tarps are great.

But if you REALLY want a tent, the MSR Zoid solo tents are pretty good. I've used the Zoid 1 fairly extensively for bicycle touring and it's always been solid. Had it in very cold, windy weather, light snow loads. No issues except for a little condensation in the foot area when it's battened down tight. A little heavy and overkill for for something like the AT in my opinion. It's still a nice product, I just wouldn't carry it on a thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by -BLEACH- View Post
    Hey, I was a flexible 19 year old when I thru hiked... I used a tarp and think they are superior to tents for three season use as a backpacking shelter, especially in consistently wet, rainy weather. I'm using my tarp on the PCT this year as well. Tarps are great.

But if you REALLY want a tent, the MSR Zoid solo tents are pretty good. I've used the Zoid 1 fairly extensively for bicycle touring and it's always been solid. Had it in very cold, windy weather, light snow loads. No issues except for a little condensation in the foot area when it's battened down tight. A little heavy and overkill for for something like the AT in my opinion. It's still a nice product, I just wouldn't carry it on a thru hike.
    My problem with the idea of tarps is that it would seem that in a very heavy rain the bouncing water would make its way in your living area. For 1 pound more a tent seems like the way to go. Enlighten me

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    no im pretty sure in my opinion i dont like tarp tents. ive used them and dont care for them. thats why im asking about solo tents specificly. not lightweight shelters.
    I've been pleased with my REI Roadster, I have the first version, It weighs in at 1630 grams ( 3 lb 9 oz). One can do better on weight, but I liked the design.

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Don't forget the Tarptent Rainbow. 2 lbs on the nose, with sewn in floor. Trail-ready, in its stuff sack, with stakes. Much roomier than the North Face that MikeG linked to.
    Its not quite trail ready as one has to seal the seems prior to use.

Mine weighed in at 967 grams (2 lb 2 oz), which includes the pegs & bag and pole.

The journey is the destination eventidecu's Avatar
    Images

I use the Seirra Designs Light Year and love it. Dang near bomb proof from my experiance. The only thing is it is just almost too short in height (but doable) and has no vestibule usable for anything other than boots. At 5'09" 180lbs I can just barley get my Aether 75 inside and use it as a pillow laying head between the belt straps craming the pack up front, which works. My buddy got a two man version (not sure of model right now) at right at 4.5lbs I think, and has much more room and height and vestibule. The LY is 2.7lbs. I like the SD lighting too. If I were looking at a new solo the most important thing to me now is height for sitting up. Most of them are way short and you can't sit up to change clothes or waiting out a rain storm. I'd look at a two man something just for that reason. Lots of light weight 2man jobs out there now around 5lbs. Shave a lb somewhere else to make up difference. The only real time you need shelter is for weather which is why you need dry and Shelter WILL be full in the rain.

I don't like the idea of tarp tents because of rain coming in under you. And I don't care what anyone says water migrates to dryness meaning you and your stuff which gets wet and heavy. If you carry a ground cloth then why not a tent with a bathtub floor. Same but sealed from bugs and weather, just not as "cool" looking.

hello all.

lots of opinions here, and i'd like to throw my hat into the ring too.

i style myself something of an involuntary expert on 1p tents. i've bought and returned/sold off many different models/manufacturers in a search for the ideal one. i'm over 6 ft, and this is my biggest complaint...none of the 1p tents i've ever used are long enough.

golite tents...too short. montbell tents...too short. msr zoids...too short.

i have a marmot eclipse 1p which they have unfortunately discontinued. it's the only 1p tent i've found and used that feels comfortable and roomy enough, but at just over 3 lbs i feel it's a touch heavy.

the TNF dyad 1p which started this whole thread of comments is very short. anyone over 5 ft 8 in will have condensation rolling down the walls into their face and onto the feet. i've heard that condensation is a real problem with this new model.

the black diamond tents one shot or first light are the absolute bomb! but be prepared to take out a second mortgage on your house to buy them...they're terribly expensive.

sierra designs light year was very popular for a while, but i found it short and that it had an odd floor plan. the iota is too much like a bivy sack, not enough headroom. but the baku 1p intrigues me, though i've not seen one or met anyone who's used it.

i like the mountain hardwear pct 1p...but i think they've discontinued it. you could probably still find it on campmor.com or you could google it. it too has an odd floor plan but i think it works better than the light year. looking at the MHW website seems they've replaced the pct 1p with the sprite 1p...but it's pretty much the same deal.

something that was written up in this month's backpacker magazine is a company called big sky international which i know *nothing* about. i took a look at their website (bigskyinternational.com) and was impressed with the number of 1p tents they had to offer. i like the options and the simplicity of designs...but i don't know anything about their performance...and they seem a bit pricey.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++