WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Where's Your Pack Weight...Using The Definition In This Post?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Poll: Class of 2007 Thru's, Where's Your Pack Weight?

Alright everyone...the mass exodus is about to begin with March 1 only being days away. So fess up...how's that pack weight? Here's the definition of pack weight only for the purposes of this poll:

Pack weight = Everything inside/strapped to your pack that you will be carrying ON your back as you leave Springer/Katahdin NOT including:

1. Clothes/footwear you'd be wearing/hiking in on a 60 degree day

2. Hiking pole(s) that are being carried in your hands

3. Obviously not true for us all, but for the sake of consistency, use 12 lbs as the "guestimate" for 4 days food/snacks and full water.

Good luck everyone...hope to see you out there.
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

Adding 12 lbs. between 25-30, but I won't be leaving from Springer or Katahdin. more like First Water Trailhead (doesn't have water) and Cumbres Pass or Chief Mountain.

No thru this year but shooting for a total pack weight (by Michelle's definition) of 28-30 lbs. If I were hiking in March-April, it would be at least 5 lbs heavier.

26lbs. complete with 0* bag, 4 days food, 1 liter of water and 1 liter of Jack Daniels.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My weight is definitely heavier b/c of the early start.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

kicking around ideas for the next adventure 1Pint's Avatar
    Images

Currently at 21 lbs plus food and water (so I'm in the 30-35 with Michele's 12 lbs for those). I'd love drop another 5 lbs off that and I'm working on trimming where I can. Good luck everyone! Can't wait to see you on the trail.

Heck, can't wait to just BE on the trail!!
    "It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." Train

Images

Mine's heavier because I'm such a cold sleeper...but maybe I'll find out I don't feel so cold after living in negative windchills for a month here in Michigan! haa haa

I don't spend much money on super light items but my #26 is winter weight. I have a 0* bag, a full length mat and a down jacket with me. Polypro gloves, polypro balaclava, and a fleece hat. I could lose the weight of the jacket if I simply get into my bag as soon as I get to camp but the Jack is there for good!

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I could lose the weight of the jacket if I simply get into my bag as soon as I get to camp but the Jack is there for good!

geek
    Don't lose the jacket, 'cause how else are we gonna hang out if you're hiding in your tent... no, wait, that sounded like a proposition.... oops! What I meant was.... um, er, just bring the jacket and the Jack.

I'm 27 pounds with food and water and my wife is 24.5 pounds with food and water. We have 5 day's of food for both of us at 10 pounds total. Where does that 12 pounds come from? Both packs were weighed with one bottle full of water.

Can't wait to get out there!

I'm at 21 pounds without food and water but with March 1st later this week I don't want to mess around with it and end up leaving some gear in the basement.

Good luck to you all and hope to see you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Pint View Post
    Don't lose the jacket, 'cause how else are we gonna hang out if you're hiding in your tent... no, wait, that sounded like a proposition.... oops! What I meant was.... um, er, just bring the jacket and the Jack.
    1Pint,
    If all I need to thru hike is my jacket and Jack...well..you sound like my kinda girl.
    Wonder how much Jack I can put in THAT pack and still only be at 26lbs?

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    1Pint,
    If all I need to thru hike is my jacket and Jack...well..you sound like my kinda girl.
    Wonder how much Jack I can put in THAT pack and still only be at 26lbs?

geek
    ....and this is how trouble gets started....

Jus' sayin'

See you on the trail Geek!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chicote View Post
    I'm 27 pounds with food and water and my wife is 24.5 pounds with food and water. We have 5 day's of food for both of us at 10 pounds total. Where does that 12 pounds come from? Both packs were weighed with one bottle full of water.

Can't wait to get out there!
    That 12 lbs come from the frequently thrown around figure of 2 lbs a day for food x 4 days = 8 lbs and then add to that 2 lbs per liter of water x 2 liters = 4 lbs.

Like I said, it's just a consistency thing because many people actually carry more/less food or more/less water, but I wanted to see if we all hypothetically carried the same weight in food/water where we'd all be at.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    That 12 lbs come from the frequently thrown around figure of 2 lbs a day for food x 4 days = 8 lbs and then add to that 2 lbs per liter of water x 2 liters = 4 lbs.

Like I said, it's just a consistency thing because many people actually carry more/less food or more/less water, but I wanted to see if we all hypothetically carried the same weight in food/water where we'd all be at.
    ok, then I'd jump from 27 pounds to 33 pounds - but then I'd probably reassess my gear list since I'm hiking with a partner. Thanks for the explanation.

Journal Entries
    Images

We have too much food, but it's hard to judge that whole thing. My guys like to eat and they're used to eating what they want on weekend backpack trips also. And I did load down my mail drop box for the Smokies after hearing from one guy who got snowed in and ran out of food. Sure hope we can carry the stuff.
    But I guess everything about this is new since we've never done an extended outing.

Hiking Blog

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    But I guess everything about this is new since we've never done an extended outing.
    Boy...isn't that the truth!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Boy...isn't that the truth!!!

Michele, I sleep cold too. I have a 15 degree bag but got a silk liner to bring it down even more. And I'm putting in a few handwarmers also in case of a real cold night. But I usually am cold anyway when I first go to bed and then at 3 AM wake up sweating from too many blankets. It's an over forties thing, I think...

Hiking Blog

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Michele, I sleep cold too. I have a 15 degree bag but got a silk liner to bring it down even more. And I'm putting in a few handwarmers also in case of a real cold night. But I usually am cold anyway when I first go to bed and then at 3 AM wake up sweating from too many blankets. It's an over forties thing, I think...
    Well..I'm not quite to 40 yet, but that is exactly what happens to me at home in my heated apartment. Freezing when I go to bed, wake up several hours later sweating to death. Outside, though, seems to be quite different, especially if the ambient temps are in the mid 30's or lower.

I do think I've got what I need to stay warm now though, but unfortunately, that was adding some weight back in that I wasn't originally planning on carrying. My shakedown hikes were the best thing I ever could have done to prepare. No biggie, you know how it is, start w/what you think you'll need and prepare to mail stuff home. Hey, good luck to you and Paul Bunyun. Very cool that a mom/son team will be out there.

I'm now at 23 pounds, including food but not including water and camera, so I'm guessing between 25-30 all told.
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++