WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Slowest Hiker On Earth

Default I must be crazy...a couple of questions

OK, well I quit my job and decided on a whim to hike the trail. Yes, very little time to plan but that may be the fun part of it? Thankfully I have the support of my husband.

I am planning on heading out the first week of April and am really concerned about the proper clothes to be taking....too many, not enough. I am sure you know the drill. I know I need more but am also on a budget.
    This is what I have so far:

Sierra Designs Rain Jacket
    Cheap nylon Pants from Target as Rainpants 2 layers of nylon...is this going to be ok?

Hiking:
    1 pair C9 lightweight nylon pants
    1 lightweight capilene LS shirt
    1 SS Target brand wicking t shirt

Extra:
    1 pair shorts
    Extra tshirt
    2 pair panties
    1 pair socks

Fleece Hat
    Fleece Gloves

Camp Clothes:
    1 midweight Duofold LS shirt
    1 lightweight Patagonia bottoms
    1 pair socks

What I think I need:
    Some type of fleece shirt (cheap fleece
    Warm jacket (was thinking Mont Bell Thermawrap)
    possibly better rainpants or another thermal layer to go under the cheap rainpants I have

I hope this list makes sense. I don't have the money to buy anything I really don't need but don't want to get stuck freezing somewhere either.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

At the moment I have read so many gearlists that I am going crazy

You don't need a "warm jacket." You need layers. A polypro base layer. Synthetic t-shirt over that. Wool or synthetic flannel (or fleece) over that. Outermost layer is a thin nylon shell to stop wind and hold back the rain (somewhat.) Those four layers will keep you warm in just about any weather that comes up.

I have problems with my feet sweating so i ussally hike with 4 pairs of socks some people will say thats excessive.

Also if ur using cheep rain pants test them out before u go. I was in 40 degree weather with cheep rain pants i put on thermals and thought ahh i will be good. well i got soaked through i wish i never put the thermals on.

Test everything if u go out now for a day and suffer it will be much better then being on a extended trip and suffering. my 2 cents..

GL Hopefully ill pass you if all goes well ill get hit the trail sobo.

your cheap rain pants should work fine. they probablly wont stop the rain, and they will probably make you sweat, but as long as they stop the wind, you will be fine.be careful, it is very easy to take too many cloths.
    geek

The journey is the destination eventidecu's Avatar
    Images

I'm not sure what C9 pants are but if there not zip offs I'd trade them for zip off type and get rid of the extra shorts.
    You've got 4 T type shirts listed I'd cut that to two, one SS one LS.
    Go to Dick's sporting goods if you have one and find a nice fleece vest and or a jacket. I found a Columbia Jacket there for 30.00 and I think they had some vest too at 30.00. Be careful the fleece isn't too heavy. They are different types and it's worth getting the lighter stuff for alittle more $. Thats a piece you'll probably carry along time so don't scrimp too much. Also at Dicks I just found some gloves, "hot fingers" (39.99). Fleece inside with Gortex outer shell. I know Goretex is supposed to be heavy but these are the lightest gloves water proof I've ever seen. They weigh about like just fleece itself, I couldn't believe it. You'll want something water proof in the cold rain in NC TN VA. And probably on the other side too. Those little fleece ones get cold in a two day cold rain storm trust me I found out the hard way. Also someone on another thread said the dollar store and Fred's had Crock type shoe's for like 6.00.

Now I don't profess to be an expert and others here are surley more qualified than I and listen to them but thats my observation as to what you have compared to what I have found via trial and error and would take. Good luck

Slowest Hiker On Earth

C9 pants are made by Champion, a brand that Target carries.
    I truly hate the zip off kind. I would rather carry a couple of ounces than those things.

I would think I would want more than 1 SS and 1 LS....
    I can see the 1 SS for the first little bit but was thinking of the 2 LS....1 lightweight for hiking and the midweight to keep for camp so I am guaranteed something dry and warm.

There is a Dick's across the way from where I work so I will check out the fleece there, although I do have some fleece floating around here that may work.

Well I am off to sleep so I can dream about layers

Thanks for the advice

The journey is the destination eventidecu's Avatar
    Images

I'd lose the camp pants too. Your from Ga and theres too many places close to the start where someone can meet you or send them if needed to pick them back up if the weather got that cold. The long pants plus rain pants should be enough. Other than that you'll be crashed in the bag anyway. (What kind of sleeping bag will you carry?) Maybe send them and the extra shirts and fresh socks to NOC or Fontana to have thru the Smokey's. You should be in shape by then to carry the extra weight but if not in tip top shape at the start I'd really hold back on the clothes until then and just layer like TT said utilizing the rain gear for wind. You wont be critically cold hiking unless it's raining / sleeting and in camp you'll be in the bag sleeping. At least for the first month or two.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I will be getting the Marmot Helium 15 degree bag. 1 pound 13 oz. Waiting for my dividend check and 20% off coupon

Will consider dropping the extra pants of at Neels Gap with my food in case I need them.

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    You don't need a "warm jacket." You need layers. A polypro base layer. Synthetic t-shirt over that. Wool or synthetic flannel (or fleece) over that. Outermost layer is a thin nylon shell to stop wind and hold back the rain (somewhat.) Those four layers will keep you warm in just about any weather that comes up.
    I disagree. A thermawrap is in place of the fleece you're talking about. Warmer than fleece buts backs smaller and lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    I disagree. A thermawrap is in place of the fleece you're talking about. Warmer than fleece buts backs smaller and lighter.
    OK to disagree. I've logged a few miles myself, and never carried anything that could be called "a warm jacket." OTOH, I do usually carry a wool or acrylic flannel shirt... like the one I'm wearing in my (current) avatar. This $10 shirt from blair.com will do as well.

Images

I think your clothing list looks fine. The Thermawrap jacket would be a nice addition, and it's plenty warm enough for an April start. Not sure you need a 'cheap fleece' in addition to the Thermawrap, though. You will probably reduce the warmer camp clothes as you get up into Virginia, and end up with one s/s shirt to hike in and one light l/s shirt for camp, but you do need the warmer layers early on in the hike.

Go. Have fun. Enjoy yourself. Enjoy the support of your spouse.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

First off, congrats on your decision to hike!

Looking over your list, it actually looks pretty good. I'd say grab a cheap fleece somewhere... layers are better than one big warm jacket, and easier to get right for various conditions.

Also, I'd suggest at least 3 pairs of sock. I used to carry three pairs, and now actually carry four, because I've dedicated on pair to be used in camp only. I use Thor-Lo's, which work great for me and are probably the cheapest of the hiking socks. They last for a long time too... longer than any wool pair I've ever hiked with. To be fair though, the wool socks were pretty darn comfy.

Your current rainpants should do fine, and I imagine you'll end up doing with them what I did with mine come Hot Springs... send them home. They're good to have in the early part of the hike when it's a little cooler, but no rain pants will keep you from getting wet... they just keep you from getting soaked. And when it warms up that's not as much of a concern.

So, in short... more socks, layers, other than that looks pretty good. Chances are you'll send a chunk of this home during the summer anyway, so don't stress about it... it's just clothing and if you get really cold you can always just climb into your sleeping bag.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Well ...the good thing about starting April 1 is that some (but not all) of the crazy weather will have started to dissipate.

You're still gonna have some cool nights though so that Helium bag is gonna pay dividends.

In terms of the rest of your list, I would just tell you to weed through it in the first week or so of your hike. If it all fits in your pack and you're willing to carry the weight then go for it. Once you get a handle on where the weather's headed you can thin it out. One thing you will notice as time goes by though is that you don't need a lot of duplicate clothing items. Many if not most hikers end up hiking in the same clothing and just keeping something to sleep in and/or wear in town while the laundry is spinning.

Enjoy your hike ...

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    OK to disagree. I've logged a few miles myself, and never carried anything that could be called "a warm jacket." OTOH, I do usually carry a wool or acrylic flannel shirt... like the one I'm wearing in my (current) avatar. This $10 shirt from blair.com will do as well.

Yeah, well you're a guy too. Women tend to be colder. Less of that "man" RBC count.

Get the thermawrap jacket. Love mine and it is SO light. I got the men's actually for a cheaper price (why not?) for later in the trail. The hips are narrow - made for a man, but I can get by with it. For now I am toting my one lb down jacket until Damascus.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Yeah, well you're a guy too. Women tend to be colder. Less of that "man" RBC count.

Get the thermawrap jacket. Love mine and it is SO light. I got the men's actually for a cheaper price (why not?) for later in the trail. The hips are narrow - made for a man, but I can get by with it. For now I am toting my one lb down jacket until Damascus.
    Hikers like to brag about their *cheap* gear and clothing finds. In my case, it's the $10 Blair polyester flannel shirts. In the real-world where I need to be fashionable, I wear Pendleton wool shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by mel-gazelle View Post
    OK, well I quit my job and decided on a whim to hike the trail. Yes, very little time to plan but that may be the fun part of it? Thankfully I have the support of my husband.
    Great news.

Don't worry about feeling "rushed" due to your last minute decision. I decided to hike the trail, gave notice at work, and did all my "planning" (pre-internet) and gear purchases at night while I worked out my 2 week notice.

Your gear and food doesn't have to be "perfect" when you leave. Plenty of opportunites to add or deduct as you move northward.

Good luck.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

Thanks for the support and advice guys. It is truly appreciated.
    I will probably be posting a tentative gear list in the next week or so just to make sure I am not forgetting anything.

++ New Posts ++