WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default black flies in late july

how are black flies in late july in new hampshire and maine neo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    how are black flies in late july in new hampshire and maine neo
    It really depends on the weather, but in late July they are starting to diminish but are still around in Maine.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Troll is correct, once you start seeing dragonflies the black fly season is over. A dragonfly can eat many times his weight in blackflies every day. In nothern Maine there is an active spraying program for spruce budworm and other creatures and they have diminished the dragonfly population so we still see a few blackflies until August. By the second or third week in June the worst of the Blackflies is generally past.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

Forget black flies... Deer flies will follow you for miles, landing in your hair, on your ears, and buzzing around your head. I killed several hundred in Maine alone. It got so bad, I took to naming them.

Images

How are the mosquitoes that time of year?

Images

Here's a t-shirt for all those who "love" blackflies.

I think that sub-line reads: A Bite of the Proceeds will be Bled into the Maine Blackfly Breeders Association....."

GlazeDog

Images

Oh yeah-- the link:

http://www.lgtees.com/blackfly.html

GlazeDog

Troll and Moxie are both right, usually by mid to late July, they have greatly diminished in numbers . The Maine Black Fly is also said to be the Maine State Bird while in season.
    WALK ON

Images

The black flies will still be around, but the truely scary mega swarms will be gone by then. You won't have any problems. I've found that by that time in the season the black flies aren't even biting. At least in the Whites and southern Maine.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mnof1000v View Post
    Forget black flies... Deer flies will follow you for miles, landing in your hair, on your ears, and buzzing around your head. I killed several hundred in Maine alone. It got so bad, I took to naming them.
    attach a piece of fly paper to a hat and wear it. the deer flies buzz around your head and then get stuck to the paper,works like a charm!!!

Images

Wow, that's a really good idea Dave. Simple, lightweight, portable....I'm going to have to try that this summer.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie00 View Post
    Troll is correct, once you start seeing dragonflies the black fly season is over. A dragonfly can eat many times his weight in blackflies every day. In nothern Maine there is an active spraying program for spruce budworm and other creatures and they have diminished the dragonfly population so we still see a few blackflies until August. By the second or third week in June the worst of the Blackflies is generally past.
    I generally don't worry about blackflies after the first week of July. But every 35 years or so a black fly emerges that lasts all summer until the first severe frost. It happened in the late 30s and again in the 70s. We are overdue for a new infestation.

Because humans -- and reporters -- have short memories, the new infestation will be hailed as a "new" breed of flies. unlike anything ever seen before.

Weary

I know for fact that there is open season on Black Flies here in Maine, but Deer Flies? You had better check with THE WEASEL before killing any more, it could be against the law,
    I do like Dave's idea of the fly strip, at least with that, it'll only be secondary fly slaughter
    WALK ON

Images

Sun must have been out in Kingfield today.

Bring DEET. Light long sleeve shirt. Don't have to use them, good to have.
    Remember, black flies crawl up. Happy kilting.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    I know for fact that there is open season on Black Flies here in Maine, but Deer Flies? You had better check with THE WEASEL before killing any more, it could be against the law,
    I do like Dave's idea of the fly strip, at least with that, it'll only be secondary fly slaughter
    Killing Maine black flies as they descend upon you falls constitutes self-defense. Unless it is the rare and endangered Maine Tuxedo Black Fly, of which only 6 remain in the wild (although a large breeding population is kept at the secret CIA Zoo outside Bangor). If you are bitten or under attack by a swarm, you can kill black files with impunity after checking to see if it has a small bowtie-like filament around its thorax, which has a white underside.

Always glad to help.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Don't forget to check out the Miss Black Fly Contest in Rangely - popularized by Maine comedian Tim Sample. Its a beauty contest but beauty doesn't count. The gals stand on the back of a flat bed in the IGA parking lot in swimsuits. The first one to swat or itch is disqualified and so it goes on till only the winner remains.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Oh my God (yes, Weasels have gods, but that's another topic)...just realized the question was about DEER flies. I'm not sure about that. It will take deep research, combined with on-site investigation and consultation with forensic entymologists ( http://www.forensic-entomology.com/ ) and a number of other efforts.

Please send me your billing address and/or VISA/Mastercard number (sorry, I can't accept AmEx for bills that are under $10,000). I will start on your project immediately, and should be finished shortly before Labor Day.

Thank you for engaging me in this interesting and valuable effort. So sorry for the initial confusion.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Question

Am I hiring The Weasel, or would that honor go to the families of the countless deer flies I slaughtered? Because if I have to defend myself against a slanderous lawsuit, I may have to plead insanity.

Images

Am I hiring The Weasel, or would that honor go to the families of the countless deer flies I slaughtered? Because if I have to defend myself against a slanderous lawsuit, I may have to plead insanity.
    Insanity is not a defense to slander.

Please make sure to send the expiration date with your VISA/Mastercard number.

The Weasel

Images

Never seen black flies but have had deer flies chase me on my mountain bike. I rode as fast and hard as the trail would let me but the buggers still managed to catch me. And their bites hurt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++