WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammocks for 'Husky' Boys

Hi all, I'm new here so be gentle. :-)

I'm planning on starting my thru hike in early/mid April and have decided to go hammock style! The main problem I've encountered is that at 6'3'' 300 lbs, I'm built more like an offensive lineman than a prototypical hiker. As far as I can see, this leaves me with only two options:

- Speer 8.5c (350 lb max)
    - Hennessy Explorer Deluxe ASYM (300 lb max)

Anyone have personal experience or know someone of similar 'stature' that has attempted hammock camping and could provide advice?

Cheers,
    Big Cat

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Welcome to WB.

I am starting April 1st ish, hopefully I'll see you out there. I will be the guy with a pack and trekking poles.

I weigh 220lbs and am 6'4". I am using a homemade Speer style. I like the top loader better. I have a hennessy, great for bug season. I like the ability to reach out and lounge in a top loader better.

Something to think about is bottom insulation. Below about 70 deg I need something underneath me. There are a couple underquilt manufactors out there. Some people use a closed cell foam pad. Not as comfortable, but works.

Hammocking is not hard, but has a learning curve to it, especially in the colder weather we might see in the north. If I were you I would get one and start practicing in the back yard. It's not hard, just different.

welcome to the hanging crowed. also look into the eagles nest outfiters hammock, they are top loading (you'll need bug netting during bug season)but its rated to 450 pounds!!!! great price to boot!
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Thanks HE! We should start a 'big man only' forum.

I know a great automotive upholsterer in town and I was thinking of modifying the Hennessy bug screen with a zipper...but first I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fall through it a month into the trail ala Chris Farley.

I may indeed see you out there April 1st-ish, IF I'm comfortable with the healing on a nagging foot and knee injury.

Peanuts, thanks for the lead! I'll check it out now.

If you want a built in bugnet these may be an option:

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/
    The "Jungle Hammock" is rated 350 lbs.

This Clark claims to handle 900 lbs:
    http://www.junglehammock.com/deluxefeatures.php

thanks redtail. that jungle hammock looks pretty sweet and there was a postive review on the site from a 6'5'' 300 lb guy.

I have a hennessy asym and I am twice its rating. I have never had any trouble with it. the only real problem is the trees creak real loud whenever I move :}

++ New Posts ++