WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Res. at Baxter State Park

I called and was informed that it is ok to have more then one person at my site. I have space for 3 other people. I'm at #4 lean-to at KSC from the 30th of May-June 2 to begin my thru-hike of the AT. It is only $9 per person, so if your starting at this time and need a space let me know....

Default Too early to climb Katahdin?

Quote Originally Posted by jkashley1234 View Post
    I called and was informed that it is ok to have more then one person at my site. I have space for 3 other people. I'm at #4 lean-to at KSC from the 30th of May-June 2 to begin my thru-hike of the AT. It is only $9 per person, so if your starting at this time and need a space let me know....
    I had reservations for those same dates two years ago. Mt. Katahdin wasn't open for climbing yet. Do you know whether or not they are projecting a May opening this year?
    Shutterbug

Default Start Date

Well, I called BSP, and the lady informed me that I should have no problem for the summit up Katahdin on one of those days. She said that the trail up opens on the 3rd week of May, so I should be ok, but I guess its all up to GOD...She also told me to call back when the dates get closer to get more info. on the conditions of the Park trails.

The Hunt Trail has been open as early as May 1st to day hikers, has stayed closed until mid June, and has opened/shut/opened more than once.
    MATC will do a work trip prior to May 15th, a Ranger will go up soon thereafter, and based on what they see the Park will decide when to declare it officially open. It's almost always open third week, like the BSP Ranger told you. There's a 100 yard stretch along the edge of the ravine that stays in shadow until late May, and sometimes that's a thick sheet of ice. By the end of the month the sun gets in there and it clears out.
    Even if the Hunt is closed until Memorial Day, the nearby Abol Trail will be open, and early MEGAs will be able to summit via that route.
    Have fun in Baxter! And check this link out to see how much snow's on top:
    www.katahdincam.com
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 03-07-2007 at 16:20. Reason: added link
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default Tj

Thanks for the info. i was a little worried about my start date, but I should be ok.??

Yup, pretty sure you'll be OK. I'll be up there the 14th and 15th, and again late May, so stay tuned. Between visits by WBers and reports from BSPHQ you should know what to expect. I like that you've booked more than one night's stay and you're in a lean-to - smart moves!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by jkashley1234 View Post
    Thanks to Teej, always on the ball. Anyway, I'll be coming up may 31, climbing The K June 1 and leaving BSP June 2. I would be happy to share the accomodations with you if you like. It would be a great way to start the trail in $ saving mode. Let me know or PM me. Thanks.

Peace,
    Warraghiyagey

++ New Posts ++