WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I am almost out of here.

This will be my last post until I get the chance to post from the trail. I will be very busy tomorrow finishing up everything here at home. I will leave Dallas at 11:25AM on Tuesday the 13th for Atlanta. I will arrive the same afternoon at 2:45PM.

I will then go to the Hiker Hostel to spend the night and will start my backpacking trip on the morning of the 14th. I think everything has been taken care of and my gear was shipped ahead via UPS to the Hiker Hostel. I will start from the top of Springer Mountain. Because of the breathing problems I have had I will skip the Approach trail, mainly because I do not wish to get discouraged before I start the AT. Since the approach trail is a blue blaze trail I will skip it.

As far as myself being ready that changes from minute to minute. My emotions are on a real roller coaster ride. Needless to say I am not sleeping very well at night. I am sure that will all end once I start the trail.

I have wanted this to do this hike for so long that my main fear is that something will interfere. I will just have to take it slow and easy and take everything mile by mile and day by day.

I hope that I will meet many of you out on the trail. Wish me luck and Pray that I stay healthy for the entire trip. I will get in touch with whiteblaze every time I get a chance.

I am gone.

Tomman
    aka Cherokee Tom

Very best of luck....see you out there somewhere!!

Images

Good luck.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Tomman...all the way from the Redzone in Iraq...BEST OF LUCK - Pursue your dream !!!! Let the trail carry you and follow your true north bearing.

tomman have a great hike. I am leaving a day or two after you. hope to see you on the trail.

pt
    before washing your jeans shorts, pre-treat by throwing them away.

Images

Stick with it, you'll be glad you did.

Images

enjoy the hike and have fun
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Tomman we'll be right behind you! Starting on the 15th on top of Springer. Like you we see you no point in the 8 additional miles on a blue blazed trail. And I want to thank all of the people who responded to you and did not berate you for not doing the approach trail! I spent too much time on another AT site where people are heavily castigated and berated for not doing it. Not real encouraging. It doesn't count in the miles and it's not the "starting line." We figure not starting there will also put us a couple of hours ahead of the crush of the crowd that is likely to be starting on the same day. We're tenting as often as possible but there's always the chance even tent spaces will disappear fast in the first couple of weeks or so. And at 51 yrs old we aren't going to be keeping up with a younger crowd.

All the best to you and hope to get to meet you somewhere along the way! Cheers! Boomer and Mrs Baggins
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by tomman View Post
    This will be my last post until I get the chance to post from the trail. I will be very busy tomorrow finishing up everything here at home. I will leave Dallas at 11:25AM on Tuesday the 13th for Atlanta. I will arrive the same afternoon at 2:45PM.

I will then go to the Hiker Hostel to spend the night and will start my backpacking trip on the morning of the 14th. I think everything has been taken care of and my gear was shipped ahead via UPS to the Hiker Hostel. I will start from the top of Springer Mountain. Because of the breathing problems I have had I will skip the Approach trail, mainly because I do not wish to get discouraged before I start the AT. Since the approach trail is a blue blaze trail I will skip it.

As far as myself being ready that changes from minute to minute. My emotions are on a real roller coaster ride. Needless to say I am not sleeping very well at night. I am sure that will all end once I start the trail.

I have wanted this to do this hike for so long that my main fear is that something will interfere. I will just have to take it slow and easy and take everything mile by mile and day by day.

I hope that I will meet many of you out on the trail. Wish me luck and Pray that I stay healthy for the entire trip. I will get in touch with whiteblaze every time I get a chance.

I am gone.

Tomman
    aka Cherokee Tom
    Don't forget to write!

tomman, good luck and God bless. I will be leaving on the 21st out of Harper's Ferry south and will meet you down the trail. Happy Trails!
    Semper Fi and 73's,

G. L. Cooper
    K0OPG (Amateur Extra)
    Mountains of WV

++ New Posts ++