WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Wear whatever you want ...they key is keeping the salt residue from your sweat from drying and rubbing you raw. Period, paragraph, end of subject.

Start carrying some "wet wipes" of some sort (make sure they do not contain alcohol) and wash yourself off at various times during the day.

'Slogger
    I'll agree. Washings ones ass is always a wonderful idea! More than likely it's your gear that needs to be washed. Keeping your clothes (and pack!!) rinsed out will go a long way in preventing chaff or rash.... anywhere.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Bodyglide! I have had problems with thigh chafe, butt chafe, and one time my marble sack even got chafed(ouch!) Since starting to use this, I have not chafed at all...and I do most of my hiking in the summer! I also wear long boxer briefs by patagonia now. BTW going w/o under wear with a kilt, I have still chafed before. It's the sweat, and the salt left behind when it dries that does it.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Non padded spandex or lycra shorts are the best thing I've ever used to prevent chafe. I served four years in the Marine Corps infantry and did plenty of "forced" hikes and spandex was the best thing I've ever used for prevention.

I just got the worst case of chaffing I've ever had. It's not my thighs. It's right behing my scrotum, basicly where my butt cheeks start, and rub together. IT's actually blistered and feels terrible. anyone experience this?

Interesting old thread with a lot of very strong sentiments on solutions.

I've found two things to be key:
    1) Cleanliness - wet wipes work pretty well for most people. I find squatting and washing the whole area with soap and water works even better. If toilet paper is used, it tends to leave little bits of paper all over your skin that then need to be cleaned off to avoid contributing to chaffing.
    2) Lube - Body Glide works well for many people. By far my favorite is chamois cream used by cyclists to eliminate chaffing on bike seats.

Good luck.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Here's my two key things:

1. Under Armour compression underwear to keep things from rubbing.
    2. GoldBond powder to keep things dry.

While backpacking from Amicalola to Neels Gap in August 2007, I contracted the greatest case of Class V, Third Degree Burn chaffing ever endured by mankind. It was in the same tender nether region described by the gent three posts above. It was brutal. The problem was that I had no idea what I was doing on that first AT outing - what to wear and how to we it. I had on briefs that stayed wet throughout those muggy summer days. I even thought ahead to bring Vaseline, thinking that would solve chaffing problems. It didn't.

But I learned and adapted quickly. Since 2007, I've never again had any chaffing, despite hiking all the way to the Grayson Highlands now, almost exclusive during July and August. The solution was simple and two part - wearing skin-hugging, synthetic thigh-length underwear (Haines, which is pretty inexpensive and works). I also use Anti-Monkey Butt powder, especially at the start of trips when those "nether regions" are the most tender and vulnerable.

That's inexpensive - one bottle of Anti-Monkey Butt that I'm still using 9 years later and a pack of inexpensive Haines. Problem solved. No chaffing. Ever.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scjohnk View Post
    I just got the worst case of chaffing I've ever had. It's not my thighs. It's right behing my scrotum, basicly where my butt cheeks start, and rub together. IT's actually blistered and feels terrible. anyone experience this?
    That has a name, its the perineum....
    Sometimes referred to as the durf, or a few other terms

Nope, ive never experienced. I wear cheap compression underwear which appparently totally prevents any such thing. Keeps ticks out too.

Overweight people are prone to more severe issues that leaner are not however. Extra skin, rubbing, sweaty crevices for bacteria to grow.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-07-2017 at 06:29.

Yes, this thread was good for a laugh or three. Ten year old thread, but good stuff.

Keep it clean.
    After a movement, clean. A half hour later, clean again if necessary. If you are gassy, clean periodically. Before bed, clean. The "wet ones" seem to do an excellent job, and claim to kill 99.9% of germs.

The anti monkey butt powder is great because it has calamine powder in it.

If you buy Gold Bond, make sure it's not the extra strength or heavy duty or whatever they call it. You'll feel like Gollum with the Elven rope tied around him. (nerd joke) It burns! If you buy generic gold bond, read the ingredients. Gold Bond is .15% menthol. I had a bottle of generic (that did not say extra strength) that was 1% menthol! Seven times as much!

Quote Originally Posted by Scjohnk View Post
    It's called your "TAINT"......taint your arse, taint your sack.....says a guy named SS...all the above are good recs that have worked for me also...staying clean and using good compression undies are important...I have two pair of the UA compression boxer briefs that I wear several times per week to the gym and on hikes...well worth the money as the cheap brands waist band isn't nearly as comfortable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    Here's my two key things:

1. Under Armour compression underwear to keep things from rubbing.
    2. GoldBond powder to keep things dry.
    Bingo. B/c of my occupation, I incorporate this habit into my daily routine. Best defense is making sure that you never even start to get it.

TMI warning. If you have a loose movement during the day, reapply the gold bond, otherwise you're good to go with one a.m. application.

This stuff works miracles. Been using it for years.

https://www.antimonkeybutt.com/men/8-original

Simple solution----rub vasoline into the area that gets chaffed--each morning before you hike.

Ok, so, I was worried about chaffing in this exact area, as I had chaffed there before, but not nearly as bad. This was also a high mileage day (for me) I wore a pair of regular wicking breifs, with Nike spandex, mid thigh over them, then my normal hiking shorts. It got up to about 90 degrees so I was sweating alot, and I could stand to loose a few pounds. I did use some gold bond, but it did not cut it. I think honestly, the best thing I can do is drop the extra pounds, which I would like to hike off, but it's made more difficult if my (taint) is trying to make friction fire in my drawers.

Body glide for prevention, and A&D ointment if ya rash.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    It's called your "TAINT"......taint your arse, taint your sack.....says a guy named SS...all the above are good recs that have worked for me also...staying clean and using good compression undies are important...I have two pair of the UA compression boxer briefs that I wear several times per week to the gym and on hikes...well worth the money as the cheap brands waist band isn't nearly as comfortable to me.
    Still good info, even if it's funny. I think a guy named SaltySack should get the last word! I'm personally devoted to the wipes because those areas get itchy every night after hiking and a wipe down helps with the hiker stink, so there's no downside.

Images

This topic always reminds of a Del the Funky Homosapien song...

Not yet mentioned, at least not in the recent revival, would be running shorts. Get some breathable, lightweight shorts. They should not cover your knees. Bare your lower thighs. Improve ventilation. Or else you'll be funky.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    Still good info, even if it's funny. I think a guy named SaltySack should get the last word! I'm personally devoted to the wipes because those areas get itchy every night after hiking and a wipe down helps with the hiker stink, so there's no downside.

Recently tried these for hygiene, really pleased with them and biodegradable...

Wysi Wipe Multi-Purpose Wipes 100 Pack - Just Add Water! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NWVBPC..._oPerQQyeYVPIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Anyone heard of or used this:

For those of you unfamiliar with the product, Boudreaux's Butt Paste is a mixture of zinc oxide, castor oil, mineral oil and Peruvian balsam. It was invented by Louisiana pharmacist George Boudreaux in the late '70s - and while it was once sold exclusively in small pharmacies it is now available nationwide at stores including Wal-Mart and Walgreen's.

While Pitt may not be familiar with the "miracle rub," according to Boudreaux, the ointment has been a hit with many celebrities-young and old. Popular athletes including seven time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong, basketball great Shaquille O'Neal and NFL quarterback Peyton Manning use it to prevent chafing. And, Boudreaux says he recently sent a case of the famous butt paste to Donald Trump's newest son, Barron.
    Yep, much experience with it...although not in this context. It was our go to with all three kids in diapers. Put it on dry skin and it's good stuff.

Haven't tried body glide. But Deez Nutz works like magic. Also consider washing each evening to get dirt and salts off of the jewels. Hydrate well to dilute the salts in your sweat. Wash your underbritches regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++