WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Cure/prevention for butt chafe?

I get the butt chafe, and it's no fun. I wear very lightweight, loose fitting, well ventilated running shorts when I hike, so I've done all I can do there.

So what causes the chafe? I don't sweat excessively and I keep my ass pretty clean by trail standards. Goldbond helps some, but I'd rather just learn how to prevent it in the first place. It seems to be exacerbated by high mileage days, but I'm not going to cut the mileage I like to do just to prevent a sore ass.

Anyone who's battled chafe care to way in on anything that helped you?
    Thanks

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I have had success with Desitin Ointment (a product for diaper rash)

Body Glide. Or Gold Bond. One or the other.

Thru' hiker one weekend at a time... vipahman's Avatar
    Images

Use thin seamless bicycle shorts in place of your underwear and the chaffing will be history. I've thrown out my Gold Bond as I've never had a problem since. The chaffing is usually caused by the seams in the underwear. It works in wet or dry, hot or cold conditions. I never hike without them now!
    -Avi
    AT completed: NJ6-1, NY13-2, CT5-2

Images

Get some non cotton boxer briefs. Lose some weight. I'm fat and I often get chub rub myself. It can be a REAL downer.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Wear whatever you want ...they key is keeping the salt residue from your sweat from drying and rubbing you raw. Period, paragraph, end of subject.

Start carrying some "wet wipes" of some sort (make sure they do not contain alcohol) and wash yourself off at various times during the day.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Wear whatever you want ...they key is keeping the salt residue from your sweat from drying and rubbing you raw. Period, paragraph, end of subject.
    'Slogger
    This should rank as a top ten Item for thru-hiker to know!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Rubbing = chaffing

Stop the chaffing by removeing the rubbing factor.

The rubbing factor will be somewhat different for each person. Find out whats rubbing on you?
    "LOVED OR HATED, BUT NEVER IGNORED"

'Slogger's on the money. Baby wipes.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Thigh Chafe?

Quote Originally Posted by -BLEACH- View Post
    I get the butt chafe, and it's no fun. I wear very lightweight, loose fitting, well ventilated running shorts when I hike, so I've done all I can do there.

So what causes the chafe? I don't sweat excessively and I keep my ass pretty clean by trail standards. Goldbond helps some, but I'd rather just learn how to prevent it in the first place. It seems to be exacerbated by high mileage days, but I'm not going to cut the mileage I like to do just to prevent a sore ass.

Anyone who's battled chafe care to way in on anything that helped you?
    Thanks
    If by "butt chafe" you are referring to chaffing in the upper thigh area, where your legs rub together, I suspect that it might be caused by the salty residue left behind (no pun intended) by successive layers of the evaporation of your perspiration there.

I have solved it, so far, by not wearing the loose fitting underwear you referred to but rather tight fitting ones, with legs 3-6" in length. This way it is the two layers of the stretch fabric rubbing together at my upper thigh, rather than the two layers of my epidermis, covered with various layers of sharp salt particles acting like sandpaper..

But, thats my observation only

Images

A+D ointment. they make a medicated king that i use. it's pretty much a diaper cream.

it lubricates while it medicates, can you ask for anything better?
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

hello all.

i have a real problem with chaffage as well. i used bodyglide on my john muir trail hike and it seemed to relieve my particular difficulties. i just don't know about baby wipes...seems like you'd be wiping constantly. you need something which lubricates...but i'm going to give gold bond a shot, because it's not the first time i've seen it suggested.

cheers!
    ben

Can you still get the chafing if you don't wear undewear at all, and just loose fitting shorts? I tend to wear silk boxers while hiking with shorts, but if chafing starts while on my thru, I guess i'll try with no underwear. Then I'll have to look at other alternatives.

I can't say it loud enough: UNDER ARMOUR BOXER BRIEFS. THE only drawz I'll pay $22 a pair for. I bet the total combined price of the 10-12 other pairs of underwear I own doesn't equal $22, but then again, I don't hike in those.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    Can you still get the chafing if you don't wear undewear at all, and just loose fitting shorts? I tend to wear silk boxers while hiking with shorts, but if chafing starts while on my thru, I guess i'll try with no underwear. Then I'll have to look at other alternatives.
    =====================================

I suppose you can if your thighs rub together. That said ...I ditched the u-wear a long time ago and the combination of good ventillation and the wipes I mentioned in an earlier thread I haven't have any more problems with chafe (now where's that block of wood to knock on ??)

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

By "butt chafe" I mean between the cheeks of my buttocks, not my thighs. I'm 5'9" and 142 pounds with extremely little body fat, so losing weight is not the issue. Wearing tight fitting shorts/underwear does NOT help, it makes it much worse. I don't know what the solution is,
    maybe I need to stop being a wuss and just chafe away until I have tough, leathery buttocks.

Wipes are a good idea, I think the issue may be salt residue as someone mentioned. Maybe I just have salty sweat. Before I resort to carrying a product just for my ass, I think I'll try flushing the area with water a few times throughout the day to keep salt from accumulating. Thanks for the suggestions folks.

This thread made me lol

Attachment 1571

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Weather dependent?

By "butt chafe" I mean between the cheeks of my buttocks, not my thighs. I'm 5'9" and 142 pounds with extremely little body fat, so losing weight is not the issue. Wearing tight fitting shorts/underwear does NOT help, it makes it much worse. I don't know what the solution is,
    maybe I need to stop being a wuss and just chafe away until I have tough, leathery buttocks.

Wipes are a good idea, I think the issue may be salt residue as someone mentioned. Maybe I just have salty sweat. Before I resort to carrying a product just for my ass, I think I'll try flushing the area with water a few times throughout the day to keep salt from accumulating. Thanks for the suggestions folks.
    Flushing a few times during the daY will feel great in the heat of the summer. Might not be as good an idea during the dead of winter! And you probably should try and do it in private. Pouring your drinking water down your backside, inside the elastic of your shorts might look a little peculiar to some of your fellow hikers.

Default Boudreauxs Butt Paste

Anyone heard of or used this:

For those of you unfamiliar with the product, Boudreaux's Butt Paste is a mixture of zinc oxide, castor oil, mineral oil and Peruvian balsam. It was invented by Louisiana pharmacist George Boudreaux in the late '70s - and while it was once sold exclusively in small pharmacies it is now available nationwide at stores including Wal-Mart and Walgreen's.

While Pitt may not be familiar with the "miracle rub," according to Boudreaux, the ointment has been a hit with many celebrities-young and old. Popular athletes including seven time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong, basketball great Shaquille O'Neal and NFL quarterback Peyton Manning use it to prevent chafing. And, Boudreaux says he recently sent a case of the famous butt paste to Donald Trump's newest son, Barron.
    WALK ON

I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight after that visual.
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++