WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default tennis ball launcher for rock sack

Has anyone ever tried something like this for getting the rock sack over the branch?
    I don't really have the arm strength any more to just throw it over some tall branches. .

If you can’t hang effectively simply use an odor barrier bag and sleep with it away from the rat traps where animals are accustomed to finding food. Another option that some recommended is the Ursack, simply tie to a tree away from camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Has anyone ever tried something like this for getting the rock sack over the branch?
    I don't really have the arm strength any more to just throw it over some tall branches. .
    well for starters, sling it underhand.

or use a cannister if you dont like sleeping with food.

I haven't
    but a suggestion....google search for "arborist slingshot"
    I had an arborist come out once to do some maintenance on a huge oak at my old house. He had a slingshot and a slick pull rope to haul up his climbing lines up into the highest branches. He climbed all over that tree without spikes.... like a squirrel. I have thought that a slingshot rig, perhaps something using a hiking pole as a base frame, might be a great alternative to throwing....could serve dual purpose, also for sport/fun target shooting or even for survival hunting in survival mode.....

i meant to add.... I don't think it would need to be nearly as big or strong as the arborist slingshot..... that was just the idea for inspiration. No need to go that high....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    If you can’t hang effectively simply use an odor barrier bag and sleep with it away from the rat traps where animals are accustomed to finding food. Another option that some recommended is the Ursack, simply tie to a tree away from camp.

Yeah, I actually do have my food in an odor barrier bag, inside an ursak. I used to tie it to a tree a couple hundred steps from camp, but now I sleep with it.
    But my son just gave me this idea about the tennis ball launcher, so I figured I'd see what you guys think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    i meant to add.... I don't think it would need to be nearly as big or strong as the arborist slingshot..... that was just the idea for inspiration. No need to go that high....
    Sounds like a similar idea. I like to watch these guys also when they're trimming my maple tree...

Hope you got a lot of line, one of those (tennis ball launcher) can shot over the top of a 100 foot tree! I can't see wanting to carry one around. They are usually made out of a couple of pounds of PVC tubing and are kind of bulky. Various forms of propellants can be used. Compressed air is common. The other is lighter fluid and that is a bit more dangerous. Anyway, not a practical solution.

A 20 oz soda bottle about 1/3d full of water makes an ideal throwing weight. Tie a light cord around the neck of the bottle or under the cap if possible. The bottle shape and size is such that it fits in the hand nicely and it's nearly impossible to get it snagged in a tree. Look around any campsite, you'll bound to start seeing bits of rope handing off of tree limbs as the result of it getting snagged around a branch. My underhand throw always angles to the left (right handed throw), so I aim to the right of where I'd like it to go. Takes some practice and often a couple of tries, especially when tired after a long day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Hope you got a lot of line, one of those (tennis ball launcher) can shot over the top of a 100 foot tree! I can't see wanting to carry one around. They are usually made out of a couple of pounds of PVC tubing and are kind of bulky. Various forms of propellants can be used. Compressed air is common. The other is lighter fluid and that is a bit more dangerous. Anyway, not a practical solu
    Hmm. Not sure we're talking about the same thing. I see one on Amazon for 7 bucks that weighs 4 ounces. I'm thinking the flexible plastic handle is what gives you the ability to sling that tennis ball ( or rock sack? ) farther; no propellant involved.

-

that is a dog tennis ball thrower - mostly to keep the spit off your hand

Default tennis ball launcher for rock sack

yeah, that's what I was talking about. if it'll do the job of helping you get the rock sack over the branch, that's all you need....nothin too fancy...

ahhh....interesting idea.
    I too was picturing any form of canon.
    ive never used one, how acurate and precise can you get with them? I guess anything is possible with practice....

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Hmm. Not sure we're talking about the same thing. I see one on Amazon for 7 bucks that weighs 4 ounces. I'm thinking the flexible plastic handle is what gives you the ability to sling that tennis ball ( or rock sack? ) farther; no propellant involved.
    Yo Jeff,
    Please show us the link to that launcher thing at Amazon. My feeble search skills can’t get close to the weight or price.
    Thanks!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Hope you got a lot of line, one of those (tennis ball launcher) can shot over the top of a 100 foot tree! I can't see wanting to carry one around. They are usually made out of a couple of pounds of PVC tubing and are kind of bulky. Various forms of propellants can be used. Compressed air is common. The other is lighter fluid and that is a bit more dangerous. Anyway, not a practical solution.

A 20 oz soda bottle about 1/3d full of water makes an ideal throwing weight. Tie a light cord around the neck of the bottle or under the cap if possible. The bottle shape and size is such that it fits in the hand nicely and it's nearly impossible to get it snagged in a tree. Look around any campsite, you'll bound to start seeing bits of rope handing off of tree limbs as the result of it getting snagged around a branch. My underhand throw always angles to the left (right handed throw), so I aim to the right of where I'd like it to go. Takes some practice and often a couple of tries, especially when tired after a long day.
    your talking about a potato launcher.....

This is out there, but what about a thick elastic bag to make kind of a slingshot? Attach to the rock sack. Wouldn't weigh much, but not sure it would work. There is a dog toy that is a tennis ball with an elastic band on it. It's called the Ultra Tug. I have seen that thing really fly.

WB, doesn't seem to allow editing, sorry. I forgot the Ultra Tug is NOT a slingshot. You throw it with the elastic band, but it isn't used like a sling shot. It takes no skill to get it right.

We use to make soup can cannons to shoot flaming tennis balls...why I don't know!

I got really good at tossing bear bag lines. Chances are that if you miss just once... some bratty kid will be right along to offer to toss the line for you. It's one of the guilty pleasures on the AT to discretely watch people throwing lines poorly. Kind of like watching old men dock boats in marinas.

Seriously, on the AT, there's almost always someone else around who'll be happy to help you toss a line. If you're off stealth camping away from hardened sites, there's less chance an acclimatized bear will be sniffing around your tent.

Practice with the soda bottle idea that Slo mentioned, see if you can manage the throw with a thin lightweight cord. The lighter the cord, the lighter the throwing weight.

Jeff and I don’t backpack in the same time zone as the AT.
    We rarely have company.
    Moving well away from the target branch is key. You can’t throw the bag/bottle over the branch if you’re under the branch.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Jeff and I don’t backpack in the same time zone as the AT.
    We rarely have company.
    Moving well away from the target branch is key. You can’t throw the bag/bottle over the branch if you’re under the branch.
    Wayne

Posting on an AT forum, I kind of assumed he was planning an AT trip.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++