WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default New ULA Circuit!

I just recieved my new ULA Circuit. I will be going on a weeklong hike next week and will give a more conclusive review after that.
    Initial impressions:

The pack is fantastic looking and well made. The only thing I can say negative about it is the stiching is good but a little crooked in places and some loose thread ends. Overall it is VERY well made though with great design/features. I loaded up gear and tried it on and the pack has a very good feel and the suspention seems well thought out. I opted for the hand loops and internal stash pocket but don't know if I will use either of these yet.

Brian has been nothing short of fantastic with customer service. Answering all my questions and getting the pack out to me within 10 days of ordering!

Final thoughts:

I think I went the right direction with ULA and I look forward to using my new pack. I'm a happy camper.

Brian makes great packs and they hold up well. I was tempted to get the Circuit but bought a Catalyst off the wall at Mountain Crossings and order the handy stash pocket from Brian. Enjoy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Brian makes great packs and they hold up well. I was tempted to get the Circuit but bought a Catalyst off the wall at Mountain Crossings and order the handy stash pocket from Brian. Enjoy.
    What do you think of the catalyst so far? How many miles have you put on it? I just took out the circuit for a 5 mile test hike yesterday and was amazed at how comfortable it was.

1,710,000 steps and counting! FishBone's Avatar

Nice pack, Stuco! Question: does the suspension "hoop" extend all the way to the bottom of the interior of the pack (like a Mountainsmith Ghost) or does it only go part way down? Inquiring minds want to know!
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

should have bought a black diamond 55 litre shadow pack. youll learn soon enough. youll be back.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by stuco View Post
    What do you think of the catalyst so far? How many miles have you put on it? I just took out the circuit for a 5 mile test hike yesterday and was amazed at how comfortable it was.
    I haven't put any miles on it yet. I put about 3000 on my old P-2 which is still in great shape, but I got a torso length too small to begin with. I really didn't notice a problem until I needed to carry a bear canister on the JMT. Untested, the new pack, with the proper length, feels great.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    should have bought a black diamond 55 litre shadow pack. youll learn soon enough. youll be back.
    Too heavy, only one size, no options.. bye now...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FishBone View Post
    Nice pack, Stuco! Question: does the suspension "hoop" extend all the way to the bottom of the interior of the pack (like a Mountainsmith Ghost) or does it only go part way down? Inquiring minds want to know!
    The "hoop" suspention(really an upside down U) extends almost to the very bottom of the pack. It ends in the belt area where it's got little loops that hold the ends of the hoop and transfer the weight to the belt. Seems like a good design.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    I know you may feel the need to justify your purchase by others buying the same gear as you. Maybe you will get over that one of these days.

Images

Thumbs up chiming in

Got my ULA circuit about a month ago. I have a 4wk old infant at home so no major hikes for a couple of months. However, yesterday I took my 2 and 3yr olds to a new park nearby with trails. I did about 3 miles with it loaded with about 25-27lbs and it felt great. I could transfer all the weight to my pelvis with the hipbelt. When the trail is non-technical, I like to loosen the shoulder straps to let the pack fall away a little to circulate air. If the hipbelt sucks I can't do that. I was pushing/pulling a bike trailer/stroller deal that weighs prolly 90-100# with 65# being kids. Moved well. No chafing. I agree with the previous posters, well made. I love the exterior pockets. The hipbelt pockets are nicely sized. I hope Brian stay in business for a long time.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greentick18d View Post
    Got my ULA circuit about a month ago. I have a 4wk old infant at home so no major hikes for a couple of months. However, yesterday I took my 2 and 3yr olds to a new park nearby with trails. I did about 3 miles with it loaded with about 25-27lbs and it felt great. I could transfer all the weight to my pelvis with the hipbelt. When the trail is non-technical, I like to loosen the shoulder straps to let the pack fall away a little to circulate air. If the hipbelt sucks I can't do that. I was pushing/pulling a bike trailer/stroller deal that weighs prolly 90-100# with 65# being kids. Moved well. No chafing. I agree with the previous posters, well made. I love the exterior pockets. The hipbelt pockets are nicely sized. I hope Brian stay in business for a long time.
    I hope so too. I'm thinking of getting a relay for day hikes. I like to support cottage industry folks like brian. The thing I like about these packs is that they use only whats necessary and nothing frivilous. He uses tough and light materials as well. I'd rather carry a few extra ounces than have a tissue paper sack on my back. I also really like the looks of the dynema material also.

You'll love it....I've had mine for a little over a year now and it's by far the best pack I've carried.

The Incredibler Edibler

I hope so too. I'm thinking of getting a relay for day hikes. I like to support cottage industry folks like brian. The thing I like about these packs is that they use only whats necessary and nothing frivilous. He uses tough and light materials as well. I'd rather carry a few extra ounces than have a tissue paper sack on my back. I also really like the looks of the dynema material also.

I got the Conduit a few weeks ago and have taken it out on a few short hikes so far. Awesome pack! Super quality, very comfortable and great features for the weight. It's a really good size for section hikes with my gear, and also light enough for dayhikes and overnights. If I had to choose a pack for a thru hike today I would definitely pick the Circuit or Catalyst. Enjoy!
    A foon by any other name, is still a spork.

Default ULA Circuit

Stuco
    My Circuit is the direct replacement of my previously beloved Osprey Aether 60.
    I have not regretted my decision and I feel like you do about your choice.
    Franco

How can I check these packs out on the web? Is there a site?

Stickman

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    How can I check these packs out on the web? Is there a site?

Stickman
    ================================

http://www.ula-equipment.com/links.htm

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I have a Catalyst that I received over a month ago. Unfortunately I ordered a Large going by torso measurements, but actually needed a Medium, which is a beautiful fit. Brian was awesome and even offered to cover my return shipping cost (i wouldnt let him). I too love these tiny companies that make superior products (Henry Shires TarpTent and Nunatak bags in same category), and want to support them as much as possible. They have the minimalist attitude of a company like Marmot, but its nice to get really awesome customer service, and you know that the products are made by serious backpackers for serious backpackers. I beleive that Brian has said he caters specifically to thru-hikers which is awesome.

Onto the pack: Although I have only taken it out for one night, in one more night I'll be taking it out for an entire thru! My only initial complaint is that the webbing which connects the shoulder straps to the bottom of the pack seems to rub against my underarms. AFter wearing it for a couple of hours, this seemed to go away because I assume I subcounsiously altered my arm movements while walking. I really do hope that this doesn't become an issue in the future for me. Other than that: love the hipbelt but wish it came futher around the front of the body to reach, but still happy with it. The hipbelt is nice and stiff, which is how I like it.

Have you guys all bent the stay(s) in your pack to the contour of your back? I didnt do this on my only overnight, and still thought the pack was amazing. I spent a little bit of time a few days ago curving it to my back, and the pack is just AMAZING now. i can't believe that it's possible for a pack to fit this well. The only problem I can see arising from this will be back sweating since it is so close to my back, although providing unsurpased support. Also, bending over becomes somewhat awkward becuase you have a curved backpad pushing into your back, causing the bottom of the pack to bow away from you. These issues will probably be mastered over time.

The materials are top notch. I'm especially fond of the really tough mesh that he used. My previous pack was a Lowe-Alpine Appalachian 55, which I really do like, but the mesh on the side pockets caused problems. The mesh was much thinner and more flexible, and eventually a pair of keys punctured a hole into it. It was just begging to expand. Brian's mesh is much more rigid and tough, and I have no fears about cramming items into it. These packs are made for the long-haul, and obviously the thru-hiker who has to live out of it day in and day out.

Highly recommended!

Images

vaporjourney, I don't know if the frame in the circuit is bendable, anyone elso know? Glad to hear you like your catalyst

vaporjourney, I don't know if the frame in the circuit is bendable, anyone elso know? Glad to hear you like your catalyst
    Here's a quote right from the FAQ on the ULA website pertaining to the Circuit's suspension:

Q: What is the suspension hoop? How does it work?

A: The suspension hoop used in the Circuit is our minimal solution to transferring load between shoulder and hip. If you imagine an upside 'U' you get a sense of how the hoop is positioned and how it functions. The upper arch of the 'U' ties into the shoulder straps, while each leg of the 'U' ties into the hipbelt. These points of contact allow for a range of suspension flexibility while being rigid enough to support loads up to 35 lbs. In addition, because the suspension is located to the periphery of the pack body, the backpanel is 'soft.' This results in a pack that can handle a load and does not dictate your body's movements --- but rather responds to how you move. Personally, when the loads are kept below 35 lbs, I find this pack to be the most comfortable in the ULA line-up.

Since the hoop is made of carbon fiber and Delrin (a resin product), its definitely not bendable but it is flexible. There's no framesheet either, so if you pack accordingly by placing softer items against the backpanel it will conform more readily to the shape of your back.
    If you don't do it this year, you'll just be one year older when you do - Warren Miller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++