WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Section by Section
    Images

Default Got a Campmor 20* Down...

I like the bag for the buck and all, but why in the world is it purple and teal green!! I't didn't help that my wife laughed at me and said "girly bag!"

Images

Get her in the girly bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam View Post
    I like the bag for the buck and all, but why in the world is it purple and teal green!! I't didn't help that my wife laughed at me and said "girly bag!"
    I know why can't the make it a Manly color. Oh well, color doesn't really matter as long as you don't get hypothermic and don't have to take sell your car to get a 20 deg down bag.

I wonder if that is the Chinese idea of "manly" colors? I know I was taken back a bit by the funky purple of my Cammor Mummy. Just know that the funky red of the rectangulars isn't much better.

I FIGURED IT OUT!! they want you to go ahead and buy the zero degree bag which is slightly more manly looking!! what a cheap marketing ploy!!

BTW, is the weight and stuff size accurately advertised on the campmor website??

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    BTW, is the weight and stuff size accurately advertised on the campmor website??
    The one I have is 2 lbs 6 oz. (without stuff sack) and could be stuffed to 7" x 14"

Images

I LOVE the girly purples and teals....
    now if only my MontBell was that color instead of bright sunflower which is a girly way of saying Hot Gold/Orange...yuck!!!
    Life's too short not to have Credit Card bills...so Charge It!!!

I never felt the colors of my 20* Campmor bag was girly. Now if it were hot pink...

Hey! That's "eggplant" to you, buster!

Heck, my windshirt's "kiwi". I make that look manly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hana_Hanger View Post
    I LOVE the girly purples and teals....
    now if only my MontBell was that color instead of bright sunflower which is a girly way of saying Hot Gold/Orange...yuck!!!

Amen to that...
    All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Not a girly guy but i was wondering which do most perfer. A mummy bag or a rectangular bag? Both have advanges and disadvanages. I like the ability of opening a rectangular like a quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I never felt the colors of my 20* Campmor bag was girly. Now if it were hot pink...

Man, some of the gear that came out in the eighties would make you cring them. Neon everything.

Not that I had any of that stuff.

Images

Midway Sam,
    Have you had a chance to use it yet? I am researching some bags now. I LOVE the Western Moutanineering Badger but it is $400 for a 15* bag!! I see yours for $110. Much better deal. I have never had a down bag, since both are rated for similiar temps, so is the 550 fill vs. 800 fill a big deal comfort wise or other?(especially to the tune of $300 difference). Anyone else, please give your opinions also. Thanks.

The fill doesnt have a real effect on comfort. All it is is a measure of how much a given amount of down lofts up. Since loft=warmth, a higher fill bag will be warmer and therefore lighter for the same temperature rating. Id pick a temperature and price range and go with whatever type down correlates with the two.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    I FIGURED IT OUT!! they want you to go ahead and buy the zero degree bag which is slightly more manly looking!! what a cheap marketing ploy!!
    You may be on to something...

I just bought 2 yesterday for $110. Nice surprise; last time I checked they were $140.

Images

I just ordered one today. For $110 bucks, if I don't like it, I can always have it as a spare. Will let you know how it works out.

Images

It came in today. I think it is worth $110. It seemed a little tight for me (6' 200;bs) but i am slightly claustrophobic too. I will definatley field test it and even if I get another brand of bag, this one will be a great spare to lend to anyone who might want to do a weekend hike with me but doesn't have a bag. It weighs 2 1/2 pounds and packed to appx 7x13. The purple wasn't that bad!

++ New Posts ++