WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Headlamp

Images

Default Headlamp

Could use some advice on a headlamp.
    I have a Walmart $15 job that works ok. I don't like that I have to push the button 5 times for a 30 second blast of light. I like that the body tilts. On/Off, tiltable or pointing down enough that I don't have to bend the neck, 3+ (4 better) led, AAA battery, mass market.

Not caving, just need light to stumble around and break camp in the AM.

Suggestions?
    Thanks ahead.

Section by Section
    Images

I like my Petzl Tikka. If'n you want it to tilt, I'd recommend the Tikka Plus...

http://www.backcountry.com/store/PTZ...-Headlamp.html

I just got the BlackDiamond Spot . . . both close up LEDs that save battery power when you are in camp or your tent, and a long range beam for hiking at night. Battery life is pretty good. It does not take Lithium batteries, but I don't know about them fancy things. I also have the Princeton Tec Aurora. I love that little light, but I wanted more for hiking at night. The Aurora is a great around camp light.

Images
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post
    ==================================

What's your battery life experience been ? Advertised at 45 hours but those figures are generally marketing driven rather than real world. The CR2032 lithium battery it uses are pretty common in bigger cities but I wonder how available they'd be along the trail ??

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post
    Sure is small but the battery life looks a little weak and I don't carry anything else that uses the CR2032 battery. I try to stick with things that use AAA so I carry fewer spare batteries.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    ==================================

What's your battery life experience been ? Advertised at 45 hours but those figures are generally marketing driven rather than real world. The CR2032 lithium battery it uses are pretty common in bigger cities but I wonder how available they'd be along the trail ??

'Slogger
    This headlamp just came on the market (was on backorder when first purchased!!) Ive worn it around the yard, but havent put it to the test. Thats coming this week, when Frosty and I hike the Pinhoti Trail for 2 weeks.

I dont mind the small battery because they take up such little space and weight. (I buy batteries in bulk for work anyways, so I get a better deal that just a 2 or 4 pack...)

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam View Post
    Sure is small but the battery life looks a little weak and I don't carry anything else that uses the CR2032 battery. I try to stick with things that use AAA so I carry fewer spare batteries.
    45 hours is weak? One set of spares weighs practically nothing and have a 10 year shelf life.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yeah, the e+Lite!
    =====================================

Curious Sly ...how bright are they compared to the regular Tikkas

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Section by Section
    Images

45 hours is weak? One set of spares weighs practically nothing and have a 10 year shelf life.
    Relative, I suppose. My Tikka is 120 hours.

If you use the light for 15 minute per night, on average, it'll last for a thru-hike. The e+Lite, plus one set of spares weighs less than most of other sets sans spare batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    =====================================

Curious Sly ...how bright are they compared to the regular Tikkas

'Slogger
    I'm not sure I don't have a regular Tikka. With 3 white lamps it's bright enough to do anything you're likely to use it for, setting up camp, cooking, reading...

Section by Section
    Images

If you use the light for 15 minute per night, on average, it'll last for a thru-hike. The e+Lite, plus one set of spares weighs less than most of other sets sans spare batteries.
    See... there you go. I use mine to read so I use it WAY more than 15min a night. This is where one must consider their usage before buying gear. Good info!

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam View Post
    See... there you go. I use mine to read so I use it WAY more than 15min a night. This is where one must consider their usage before buying gear. Good info!
    LOL... OK, how about the e+Lite plus three sets of spares weigh less than your Tikka without batteries!!!

I like my Tikka Plus, but have only 2 gripes. I don't like that I have to hit the button 3 times to get a dim light to save battery power. They should have the dim light first, then you can hit the button multiple times to get to bright, then off. My next purchase of a headlam will be one that doesn't require so much button-tapping. Second: when tilting the lamp downard, it is easy to make the battery compartment come open. Once in the dark I did this, and my batteries flew out. It was pretty frustrating trying to get them back in correctly in pitch black when I definitely needed the light. That taught me the importance of knowing how the batteries go in, so this won't happen again. The Tikka's are probably the most popular headlamp, for fairly good reasons, but be aware of these issues before purchasing.

I also recommend buying the colored lens filter kit, for an additional 3 bucks. It's well worth it to have a red lens filter, which helps eliminate the blinding effect of the light when turned on in darkness. Still gives enough light to read by and get around in the dark. If you need to see a bit further, just remove the filter, and the lighting is stronger.

Images

the e+lite tilt, can clip onto a hat brim, the switch "locks" so there is no accidental turning it on, already has the red LED for low-light (and low battery drain) and a quick flip of the switch turns on or off whatever degree of light you need (no pushing buttons repeatedly for on off!)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Could use some advice on a headlamp.
    I have a Walmart $15 job that works ok. I don't like that I have to push the button 5 times for a 30 second blast of light. I like that the body tilts. On/Off, tiltable or pointing down enough that I don't have to bend the neck, 3+ (4 better) led, AAA battery, mass market.

Not caving, just need light to stumble around and break camp in the AM.

Suggestions?
    Thanks ahead.
    I have an Engerizer headlamp that I bought at Wal-Mart for 10.00. You have the normal light and a red light so you don't blind folks at night. Great light for the money.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I have an Engerizer headlamp that I bought at Wal-Mart for 10.00. You have the normal light and a red light so you don't blind folks at night. Great light for the money.
    I have a couple of those. Good light except the sliding switch tends to turn itself on. A few times I've picked one up only to find dead batteries.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++