WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Big Agnes Air Mattress'

Has anyone used the Big Agnes insulated air core's? Are they worth the extra weight verse the non insulated? Trying to decide on a pad I am starting 2/20/08, I am jumping the gun a little here.

Having used just about every type of pad known to man, I must say that the big A air core is worth every cent and xtra ounces.
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I have one and I love it. It has been the only pad that has allowed me to sleep comfortably on the ground since I had some ortho injuries. It is a pain to blow up every night, but the comfort is worth it. The insulation has kept me toasty down in the mid-20's and I'm an extremely cold sleeper.

FD and I agree on something? Truely we are living in the end times.

Images

This was my first post. This website rocks, thanks for the info. Do you folks use the mummy cut or traditional, the trad. seems like it may keep you off the ground a little better hence dryer.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Most use mummy bags and mummy pads - I use a traditional so I have more leeway in placement of a damaged leg. Your pad shouldn't be directly on the ground. You need a ground cloth if you use a tarp or floorless tent and a waterproof floor if you use a tent.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Default BA Insulated Air Core

I decided to get the long version so that my bag and I are completely on it. It's been warm down to 20F and so comfortable. The weight for the Long version is still only 23oz, worth every penny and ounce for the extra comfort and great sleep. I blow it up while the water is boiling...keeps me from watching the progress which seems to slow down the boiling process.
    Last edited by Quoddy; 03-16-2007 at 13:57.

I've tried many pads and none are more comfortable then the big angus. A good nights sleep is well worth the extra ounces IMO>

I have the extra long, 25 inch wide regular shape as I am on the hefty side and like a pad I don't hang over the edge on. It weighs 21/2 lbs. and I would carry it if it were twice that weight.
    I also have a 40 degree BA sleeping bag that I use in tandum with the pad in warmer weather. Very nice and comfortable and light.

Don't forget the Pacific Outdoor Equipment pads as well. They are also 2.5" tall, come in long lengths, as well as a mummy shaped cut. I opted for one of these versus a Big Agnes pad. I spent quite a bit of time thinking about it, and decided to go with POE because quite a few people have had problems with B.A. pads springing leaks, which I really don't want on my thru-hike. I've never read about or experienced a leak on the POE. The thick pads are a godsend if you are a finnicky sleeper like I am. I would only use the insulated version if you are taking the pad below 40 deg.

Check out the Pacific Outdoor Equipment version: http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2007/index...=23&familyID=1

Default Big Agnes Insulated Pads Rock!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefish View Post
    Has anyone used the Big Agnes insulated air core's? Are they worth the extra weight verse the non insulated? Trying to decide on a pad I am starting 2/20/08, I am jumping the gun a little here.
    IMHO Yes, they are. Only pad I have slept comfortably on without having to wake up with hip and shoulder pains all night long. I love mine. In really cold weather you may still want to put a thin closed cell foam pad over it like the evazote pads from Gossamer Gear.

You may want to search this site for thread on this item. A great product and well worth the extra weight and cost. But I did have some leak problems that BA addressed.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

I really liked the Big Agnes insulated air core.. They had an issue with the mummy style leaking but I think they fixed it. The rectangular ones never had that issue.. I have tried the POE insul mat, the thermorest and the ridge rest and I liked the BA the best... I carried a cut down ridgerest in case the BA blew a leak.. The POE is my second choice then the thermorest self infating.

++ New Posts ++