WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Now what to do??

Ok everyone...I decided to take your advice and go for it..now what?

Of course I haven't bought any gear yet because I just decided to go.

Anyway I want to carry 25 lbs or less! that is my goal and thats what I want to do. I am a minimalist at heart anyway so to me less is more. I need freedom I can't be burdened by tons of heavy gear. I thought id ask here for advanced hikers advice to keep me from wasting money on needless gear that I just going to part with later.

here is what I need information on.

1. Footwear
    2. Pack
    3. Sleeping bag
    4. Shelter
    5. Stove/heat

Footwear :
    This is what I am most concerned with because I have flat feet. I need footwear that is going to give me support and also be light. I am looking for something with ankle support becaue I can turn my feet all the way around backwards without discomfort.

Pack :
    Light and Simple! I have a wilderness trail pack I bought back in my boyscout days, but its heavy and has too many pockets and other uneaded dividers and separators straps and trappings. I want something with one large pocket and maybe 3 outside ones like an Army ALICE pack only light wieght. Not sure what sort of suspension system I want, my old pack is internal frame and it always seemed ok. I want a pack that wont allow me to carry to much gear.

Sleeping bag:
    Since I plan on starting in Maine and leaving no later than June 1st I think something in the 40 degree range would be fine. Being light again is the key..I looked at some keltys today and they look pretty good but I hear Wiggy's are the S**T.

Shelter:
    Something to keep off some rain and most of the bugs..I was considering a small fly and a mosquito bar perhaps. Again as the above trend light weight is very important.

Stove/Heat:
    For this I was thinking of carrying Trioxane fuel and a canteen cup stove...its very light and there is no liquid or gas fuel to worry about..also if you can make a spark you can light it. Also its dirty cheap at army surplus stores.

Rain gear is another concern if its rainy like last year...I was thinking something goretex for sure.. I hate rubberized rain gear.

I am looking for any tips or gear list that you migth Have I am going to get what I think I need then get rid of half of it.

Thanks everyone

Brother in Arms

I haven't started my thru-hike yet (half a week away) but have used this for my raingear on other hikes and love it:

http://www.thepacka.com/

Goretex isn't really as breathable as you might have been led to believe. Especially if you wear a goretex jacket and then wear your pack over that.

This raingear goes over both your pack and your body, not underneath your pack. It also has loooong pitzips which really are the only effective ventilation when out hiking in any jacket, besides opening up the whole front zipper. It is sold by a fella on here named Cedar Tree who is a past thru-hiker.

My personal faves:
    Whatever trail runners feel good, Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack, Montbell Stretchy #5 bag, Dri Ducks rain gear, Supercat stove, Black Diamond Firstlight tent.

I'm not afraid of expensive stuff if it's worth it, but I like finding cheepy-freebies too.

Images

Read the Articles section of this website. All of them. Sgt. Rock has one on cheap gear.

Leave your wallet home and go check out the place on High St. Walk if possible. Nothing at the "Outlet" is worth a damn, unless its on clearance. I have seen stuff in their sale flyers cheaper than in the outlet. After you see some pretty stuff at the place on High St., go to Campmor.com. Not sure why they need to charge so much before the tourists are here, but they do. Awful lot of trendy, nametag, stuff.

Start walking.

I have talked to a number of people up at Baxter and have heard several recurrent themes.

1)4K after gear

2)Servicable gear that is "good enough."

Walk some more.

Be Well.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

1. Trailrunners--whatever fits your feet best. Just don't try to buy anything that claims to be waterproof. There is no such thing. I love montrails.

2. Pack- If I were you I'd go with a frameless rucksack without a hipbelt. Something lke

3. If I were you I'd get a 30-40 deg. down bag and just buy a sleepping bag liner in october if you get cold. I would never buy a sleeping bag that isn't a marmot, montbell, or western mountaineering. The sleeping bag is the item to splurge on.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Oops--accidently hit post.

2. Something around 1500 cubic inches should be a pretty good size if you don't want a lot of gear. I had good luck with the Jansport Superbreak (cheap backpack made for 'school'), and I'm using the REI flash UL for my GA-MD section starting tomorrow. If you want something a bit bigger maybe look at the GoLite ION ( I don't know how durable thier stuff is. I wouldn't expect it to last an entire through hike, but I'm really not sure), or at Fanatic Fringe's packs (those are a bit pricy for what they are, featureless rucksacks, but still cheaper than some overbuilt pack with a frame and a whole bunch of unnessecary straps)

4. I would go with the simple for the shelter as well. Just look at a 6x10 silnylon tarp. You're going to need some NOSEEUM netting (NOT mosquito netting) under that. Then, you can ditch the netting after the bugs are gone.

5. Alcohol stoves are great. There's a ton of info on this website about them. Also, the MSR pocket rocket canister stove is a nice piece of gear. really, any light alcohol stove or butane stove would be fine.

As far as a pot goes, when I actually cooked and once my hiker appitite was in full gear, I routinely filled my 1.3 L pot almost to the brim. Most hikers had smaller pots and no problem, but I did a lot of miles and burned lot of calories, making my dinners take up a lot of space.

Goretex is heavy, overpriced, an overbuilt for a thru-hike. $100 for the cheapest, and 10 oz. for the lightest? No thanks. In fact, you probably don't need any raingear until at least september or october. I'd just use a windbreaker (Golite and montbell both make nice ones around 2-3 ounces, EMS and REI make cheaper ones around 4 oz. or so)

Anything like DriDucks, O2 rainwear, etc. would be a good middle ground--cost around $50 and weigh around 6 oz.

Execuitive summary- most junk will work, just dont' skimp on the sleeping bag. And while you're at it, you might as well get light versions of everything that you can.

Thought about hiking poles? I was totally opposed to them before my thru-hike...now, I love them. (I did large sections of the trail towards the middle and the end with one or no poles...absence makes the heart grow fonder)

I have a base pack weight without food, water, and feul a little over 15 pounds ... search for the right gear but don't short yourself on the proper clothing and sleeping gear just to save 2 pounds. If you want light you are going to pay unless you make it yourself. If you want to sleep under a piece of plastic you can do that too .. I would not advise it though .. I read somewhere you should get all your gear then get the pack to fit your gear .. researsch is the best tool you have for preparing .. search and read everything ..

i'd say hennessy hammock ultralight backpacker or the newer lighter one (you can check it out at hennessyhammock.com) that way you combine your want to have a bugproof space with in my opinion (and of many others here) The most comfortable way to sleep while backpacking.

Definitley go down if you want under 25 pounds. if money isnt the issue I'd go with something by jacks are better for under insulation (because the when you lie down in your bag inside your hammock you compress the insulation and it gets cold very quickly.) and maybe even over insulation again if you read up on the forums here you can get plenty of advice about insulation for sleeping

I would also say that gortex isn't the best choice as it is really expensive heavier than what you want and definitley not breathable.

your starting southbound so you could definitley use an alchohol stove (read up on the forums here) they are rediculously light and alchohol (denatured) is one of the cheapest and easiest fuels to find along the trail plus you can buy it in bulk and bounce it.

BACKPACK definitley decide on it first and buy it first taht way you know everything else will fit!!!

oh i forgot to mention if money is a problem just use a closed cell foam pad from wally world or other places for under insulation in the hammock (much comfier than you would think.)
    Brian

Since you have flat feet, consider using blue Superfeet insoles.
    You can fine-tune your equipment at Neel's Gap if money isn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    You can fine-tune your equipment at Neel's Gap if money isn't an issue.
    BIA is sobo.

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    BIA is sobo.
    Then he should consider fine-tuning before he starts out!

Images

Default An alternative itinerary?

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Then he should consider fine-tuning before he starts out!
    An alternative itinerary might not be a bad idea either as he seems eager to start soon. He's pointed out a number of issues that would seem to work against his accomplishing what he desires. Not to rain on his parade, I'm suggesting another way he might achieve essentially the same accomplishment with perhaps better odds of obtaining the desired outcome.

He might start at Harpers Ferry and hike home for instance. If he can afford to do the rest once he reaches Katahdin and still desires to, he could hike the southern half northbound and end at Harpers Ferry, a most fitting place to end an A.T. journey. That part could also be saved for another year if he later decides that would be a good idea.

++ New Posts ++