WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Final thoughts . . .

Hey Rick, thanks for the explanation.

It is your project and you can certainly do it however you want. I guess I misunderstood the purpose from the beginning. I thought it was supposed to be a user friendly, interactive database.

If you want to make it a thru hiker aid publication, that's fine too. It just seems like that has already been done. Truly, the WB format is trimmed down from the Companion, but as a section hiker all I am going to do is take a few pages with me anyway.

I liked the way it was because I could modify it to my needs. I liked to take out the "county" column and put a cumulative mileage total and plan my day from that calculation.

Oh well, the only certainty in life is change. I'll be sad to see it morph into a printed book. Then I'll have to buy the book and tear it apart to use it. Good luck with it.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Now that is my $.02 on this.
    The locking feature seriously hurts its usability, Rick. Unlike the companion PDF, I can't copy a few pages into a notepad and print them out in text format to take on a section. I can certainly print out individual pages, but not in a different format. Besides, PDF is a non-editable format. Just saying.

No disrespect, Rick, just putting out my opinion.

Journal Entries
    Images

I know where you are both coming from and I will take this into consideration.

Here is one thing that concerns me if I make this open editing. It will get downloaded a lot to edit because it will be the only database that is editable. This will increase our bandwidth because it is such a large file and with increased bandwidth the server cost will increase. We are working on very little funds now.

I am not trying to be an ass over this. I just have to look out for the web site and server cost and also what our best interest should be.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I know where you are both coming from and I will take this into consideration.

Here is one thing that concerns me if I make this open editing. It will get downloaded a lot to edit because it will be the only database that is editable. This will increase our bandwidth because it is such a large file and with increased bandwidth the server cost will increase. We are working on very little funds now.

I am not trying to be an ass over this. I just have to look out for the web site and server cost and also what our best interest should be.
    The only editing that PDF allows is copying selected text. Or is that what you mean?

And you're not being an ass. You're probably the best behaved person on the entire site.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The link to open the Database redirects to a thread now. Is the database no longer available on line?

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    The link to open the Database redirects to a thread now. Is the database no longer available on line?
    It's there, just look left after you get to the other article.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Thanks Dixie - the Dino is slow today.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Thanks Dixie - the Dino is slow today.
    Is ok... took me a few seconds to find it myself...LOL.

Default Article with Recipes?

I was wondering if a recipe section might be helpful in the articles database?

BTW: I found a broken whiteblaze link under the "Nutrition" article in the paragraph: "Replace the Calories with Food". I recall recipes were posted in a forum or two, so I shall search them for new ideas.
    Last edited by Tin Man; 09-27-2007 at 15:17.

I have a publishing company that I have set up the book with, but I did not think that there would be any interest in the book. So I never went forward with it.

I have it already in book format for the publishing company. It is 169 pages and the price for the book would be about $10 before shipping. Shipping is what would nail us unless I ordered a bunch in one order, but like I said if there is no interest there would be no since in going to go forward with it.

If we were ever to go forward with it then I would need some help with the prelude and credits because it was something I threw together and is probably overkill.
    Have you ever looked into useing a print on demand bookstore like lulu.com that way you don't have to worry about dealing with any publishing company and can update the book at will with out having a ton of copies instantly go out of print. I have never used LULU but I have heard it described a few times and this is the kind of subject matter the creators made it for.

sh
    www.simplehiker.com - Vegetarianism, Veganism, Gourmet, Big & Tall Gear, Technology, Lightweight, Simplicity

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by simplehiker View Post
    Have you ever looked into useing a print on demand bookstore like lulu.com that way you don't have to worry about dealing with any publishing company and can update the book at will with out having a ton of copies instantly go out of print. I have never used LULU but I have heard it described a few times and this is the kind of subject matter the creators made it for.

sh
    Yes I was originally going through Lulu because that is the cheapest print on demand company I could find. They wanted $10 a book and $5 each for shipping. That would have brought the price to $15 plus per book.<O</O
    AT Troll (2010)

It is always about what lies beyond the end... Javasanctum's Avatar

Thanks for all of the hard work! It is very useful.

Default Jones Falls

In planning my section hike from US 19E to Damacus, I noticed that my maps had Jones Falls shown just past Buck Rd roughly 6 miles north from US 19E trail head. The trail head is NO 385.5 miles which would put the falls at roughly 391.5 miles. Your guide shows the Jones Falls at mile 401.8. So does my map have a miss print or is there a typo in the trail guide?

Thanks,

Lee...St Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by leejhess View Post
    In planning my section hike from US 19E to Damacus, I noticed that my maps had Jones Falls shown just past Buck Rd roughly 6 miles north from US 19E trail head. The trail head is NO 385.5 miles which would put the falls at roughly 391.5 miles. Your guide shows the Jones Falls at mile 401.8. So does my map have a miss print or is there a typo in the trail guide?

Thanks,

Lee...St Louis.
    My 2005 map also shows it ~ 1 mile north of Buck Mtn Rd. Not sure if you have a guidebook, but my 2006 thru-hiker's HB also has the side-trail to Jones Falls one mile north of Buck Mtn Rd. and places this side-trail to the falls at 389.6 miles north of Springer.

Images

Great job with this milage guide guys!
    The shelter picture links are a nice touch.
    How will the shelter pictures translate to the printed version if at all?

Question Access Problems

When I try to open the PDF it promps me to log in again? Is there a certain permission I need to have to access this?

Thanks,
    JL

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Refried Bean View Post
    When I try to open the PDF it promps me to log in again? Is there a certain permission I need to have to access this?

Thanks,
    JL
    You should be able to view the database whether you logged in or not. There are no special requiremants for viewing it. I just downloaded it without a problem. You need adobe acrobat to view it though
    AT Troll (2010)

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I must be stupid, I can't find a link to download the database.

It was there when I downloaded it to my old computer.

Where am I going wrong??

Grinder

worked fine for me too. I use Foxit....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I must be stupid, I can't find a link to download the database.

It was there when I downloaded it to my old computer.

Where am I going wrong??

Grinder
    It's in the articles under Data and schedules.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/atta...2&d=1174164006
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++