WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SOBO June 1

Default SOBO June 1

I am SOBO June 1, Baxter State Park officials willing. Any other peeps planning on a June 1 beginning?

I'm planning on arriving June 1st. Then I'll be climbing Mnt. Katahdin on June 2 and the next day I'll be going southbound. I only sent in my BSP reservations yesterday, so hopefully that works out.
    "I learned long ago that the most important and valuable of acting techniques is the exit...Keep them asking, and exit clean and sharp."
    - Travels with Charley

Quote Originally Posted by hikerchris View Post
    I am SOBO June 1, Baxter State Park officials willing. Any other peeps planning on a June 1 beginning?
    Hey Chris,

I'll be Hiking Katahdin on the 1st and heading out of BSP the second. There are at least a coulple others I know of hiking out that weekend. You can search some of the threads to find out who they are. Also check out Class of 2007.
    PM me if you'd like to talk. I hiked Katahdin to Dalton Mass last year and learned alot (like say for instance that I HAD to come back).
    Peace
    Warraghiagey

Any other peeps planning on a June 1 beginning?
    The first Friday in June should see lots of MEGAs in the Park. Over the last several years there's usually been about 80 southbound hikers out of Katahdin Stream Campground by mid-June.

Have fun!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Awesome, I look forward to meeting everyone. I believe I'll be there on the 31st and tackling Katahdin on the 1st, then heading south on the 2nd. My knees hurt already, woo hoo!
    "Great things are done when men and mountains meet." William Blake

I plan on hiking Katahdin on the first and heading on out the second if I am still alive...

Looking forward to meeting you all, I will be the dorky looking guy with the glasses....LOL

Brother in Arms

Images

Default sobo june 1

I am really considering a southbound hike also or flip flopping,I have not done a serious hike in 2yrs and it has been killen me,got the gear got the dough but need the time,hopefully be out their as well,ky

I got my confirmed reservations from BSP in the mail today. I was surprised I got them so soon, their website made it sound like they took ages to process reservations. It feels like the hike is getting close now.
    "I learned long ago that the most important and valuable of acting techniques is the exit...Keep them asking, and exit clean and sharp."
    - Travels with Charley

My tenative start date is June 1st also hope to see you all there.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I'll be out there headed south around that time. See you guys out there.

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I'll be out there headed south around that time. See you guys out there.

By my count that's six WB SOBOs that should be at Katahdin Stream on the first. Is June 1st tomorrow yet?

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    By my count that's six WB SOBOs that should be at Katahdin Stream on the first. Is June 1st tomorrow yet?
    That's cool. I was worried about being alone. Wonder what the other half goes through with 40+ people from WB alone planning on starting on a given weekend. I am trying to convince my buddy to start with me and do the 100 mile wilderness, so there might be one more for 10 days.

Default Katahdin Awaits...and so do the black flies!

Starting your hike at Katahdin and then heading into the 100 mile wilderness is going to be trying at times and strenuous at best. As well as the excellent advice available here on Whiteblaze and journals from previous southbounders, there are going to be obstacles along the way that you may not be able to prepare for...fords, bogs, bugs, food weight, blowdowns and post hole digging, especially at Whitecap Mtn. Be sure to take advantage of the long daylight hours by starting early, taking breaks and arriving at your campsite before darkness. Also explain to folks back home that it takes alot of days (8-12+) to get through to Monson and not to be alarmed because you may be stuck up to your waist in a bog "somewhere" in the wilderness. Team up with fellow hikers for companionship and humor to lighten your physical and mental load. Best of Luck, Steve the ferryman ps. The Kennebec Ferry runs 9-11am starting on FRIDAY THE 13TH of May. See you at the river!

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    That's cool. I was worried about being alone. Wonder what the other half goes through with 40+ people from WB alone planning on starting on a given weekend. I am trying to convince my buddy to start with me and do the 100 mile wilderness, so there might be one more for 10 days.
    I see Steve from Caratunk is up late. Or early.
    H.E. - I think you will find the exact opposite of loneliness on the trail. And around the end of June starts the slow trickle of NOBOs that turns into quite a glut at shelters for about a month before slowing again.
    I like your 10 day estimate for the 100 mile - it's much more realistic than many make - who learn that it's OK to take the trail's lead when setting their pace.
    See you at Katahdin Stream
    Peace
    Warraghiyagey
    SOBO7

Images

Also arriving June 1st, hiking katahdin june 2nd and hiking out on june 3rd.
    MEGA'07'

Quote Originally Posted by ryan207 View Post
    Also arriving June 1st, hiking katahdin june 2nd and hiking out on june 3rd.
    So have you decided on any weekend hikes before then? By the way you were one of the six WB SOBOs I counted for June 1st.
    Check you PMs. I sent you one a couple weeks ago. . . I think.
    Peace

Default Sobo

I'll be there on the 30th at KSC and hiking on the 1st as well. See you all there....Later..

Images

I'm moving my start date up from August 4th to around the 12th or 19th of June. Hope to see some of the SOBOs from here on the trail.

Good luck to everyone!

Default 49 days

For those June 1 peeps out there, 49 days to go . Somehow, that seems so much better than 50.
    "Great things are done when men and mountains meet." William Blake

For those June 1 peeps out there, 49 days to go. Somehow, that seems so much better than 50.
    . . .48, 47, 46. . . I don't think I can wait much longer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++