WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: pack size

Default pack size

Hey everyone I am considering carrying a pack no larger than 3000 cubic inches.

I really dont want to carry much gear so is that a good size?

Brother in Arms

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

If you can get all your gear together and take it to an outfitter. Load it up in different packs with food and water and see how it feels.

If you are not anywhere close to one, load up all your gear in a box or bag and calcuated the cubic inches of space you take. That would give you a good general idea of how much you need.

OR, if you have a large garbage can:
    1. put it on top of a wider bucket, lid, something that is wider but will collect water.
    2. Fill the garbage can all the way to the top with water. Start dropping all your gear into the water (after you put it in water proof sacks or not).
    3. Measure the volume of water that spills out of the garbage can, thats how much space you'll need in your pack. And, you get to see what happens to your gear when it gets wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother in Arms View Post
    Hey everyone I am considering carrying a pack no larger than 3000 cubic inches.

I really dont want to carry much gear so is that a good size?
    The only way to know for sure is to get your stuff together and see if it all fits. Don't forget to include food and water when you do that.

From my personal perspective, 3000 ci is a small pack. But lots of folks are making do these days with packs in that range or a bit larger (eg., Granite Gear Vapor Trail, @ 3600 ci.)

To get by with a pack that small, you almost certainly need to be using a down sleeping bag, and most likely either your tent/tarp and/or sleeping pad will travel outside the pack.

pack size sounds great to me. Could go smaller- but then wouldn't be able to carry the bagels.
    -laces

Images

Yeah, I carry a big pack.. 4000 cbi Ula Cataylst.. I don't like resupply, and I carry a two quilt hammock setup, so I like the extra room.. It compresses well enough when I don't need so much food.. I try to carry around 12 lb base weight with this setup...
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I've done 4-6 days with 2700ci. If your gear & food fits... then it fits. No need to carry that "heavy" empty space, right?
    -Mark

Images

Default pack size

well 3000 is pretty small I have hiked with that size actually, but thru the yrs I found my self actually wanting more goods in the bag.By the way my gramps was from ellsworth.I suppose with all lightweight gear less food volume,and some good packing you can do alot with a smaller pack,but I like the extra room so I can just stuff the gear inside and roll without all the fancy packing.I also like external frames and have them in all sizes from 3200 to 5400 and well its all in what your comfortable in ky,good luck and good journies

I think I would like an external frame...the internal doesn't seem to suit me very well...

My favorite pack is actually a U.S. Military Alice pack which is more of a Ruck sack that you can attach to an external frame..

who Knows I might just carry a frameless pack I am not sure what I am going to do..but Id like to keep the big 4 items under 10 pounds also.

Brother in Arms

++ New Posts ++