WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What do you eat?

I usually freeze up a steak or fish, something like that with accoutrements the day before, then when on the trail, just eat freeze dried bag stuff. I can pack 8 days worth in a plastic shopping bag, and then suppliment with fishing, native fauna, trapping, hunting etc.

What do you guys do? I don't carry any real pots or pans outside of a 6" all purpose thing.

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

I'm still working on that. So far, I pack all this food, and then when I get to a town the only food gone from the pack is snack stuff. We rarely cook anything on the trail, but I'm hopeful that one of these days......

I just repacked my stuff for this weekend.
    Friday night I'll pack in a burger (not getting to the trailhead until 9pm )
    Saturday is a mishmash of fritos, spicedrops, crackers, cheese, oreos, and carrots. Stuffing/gravy/canned chicken for a late lunch/dinner.

Sunday will be a short day, so I'll eat whatever's leftover.

Word to the wise -don't go to the store on an empty stomach.

-Johnny Swank, nutritional guru

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    Word to the wise -don't go to the store on an empty stomach.

-Johnny Swank, nutritional guru
    Lol..yeah, them are wise words My mistake is going shopping on the way to the trailhead and then 40 miles later wondering how I forgot to buy the fresh fruit yet I have a 4 pack of Otis Spunkmeyer cream cheese filled muffins.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Shameless plug: I eat out of Sarbar's cookbook supplemented with trail mix, chocolate and fresh fish when in season.

Rhino - check out Sarbar's FBC link in her sig. She may not plug her book herself, but I'll plug it! A worthy buy, even though there is lots of free info on the site.

A lot of us here do FBC in camp...it's a very lightweight way to pick your own menu, control your nutrition so you don't rely on reduced-nutrition processed backpacker meals, and it's the most convenient camp clean-up I've found...just zip the bag and throw it away.

Lots of posts on FBC here...just search the archives.

Other than that, I'll often just take normal food. Hike in a sub sandwich for the first day...maybe for day 2 lunch if it's not hot out. Just get the mayo/mustard in packets instead of on the sandwich when they make it. Or I'll wrap a few pieces of pizza in aluminum foil. But the best thing is fresh fruit - it weighs more, but there's nothing like peeling an orange in the shade on a hot day's rest stop. Much better pick-me-up than a Snickers.

You guys eat such junk! Fritos, cream cheese muffins, chocolate, pizza...Oh well, I haven't started yet, I'll probably be worse.

What does FBC mean? Google informs me it's a church, which doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hounoki View Post
    Freezer bag cooking.

Images

You guys eat such junk! Fritos, cream cheese muffins, chocolate, pizza...Oh well, I haven't started yet, I'll probably be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Freezer bag cooking.
    Link to more info on FBC: http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/

Also, if you search WB, you'll get much info.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Sweet, can I marry people and make them give me all their money so I can thru hike?
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

I use http://www.trailfoods.com/ all good stuff. I bring a cheese parmesan block to be grated and garlic powder for every pot cook. I like to cook instant mashed potatoes with chunks of garlic cloves.

I use the bottom of my cook pot for chedder cheese casadias on the start of my hikes.

I never buy dehydrated meals that contain meat. For me, meat on the trail is something to be savored not something to be dried and thrown in with dried herbs and noddles. For meat, i bring tuna in foil package and a chub of salami of any kind to be savored all by its self.

I use http://www.trailfoods.com/ all good stuff. I bring a cheese parmesan block to be grated and garlic powder for every pot cook. I like to cook instant mashed potatoes with chunks of garlic cloves.

I use the bottom of my cook pot for chedder cheese casadias on the start of my hikes.

I never buy dehydrated meals that contain meat. For me, meat on the trail is something to be savored not something to be dried and thrown in with dried herbs and noddles. For meat, i bring tuna in foil package and a chub of salami of any kind to be savored all by its self.

What I take isn't worth mentioning.

I've got a buddy who makes peanut butter tortilla wraps. That's all he brings... no utensils, stove, pots, pans, bowls, dishes, dish cleaning stuff, fuel or any of the accessories. Just those peanut butter wraps. And plenty of vitamin pills.

Don't know how he stands it, but he generally isn't out for more than a few days at a time.

++ New Posts ++