WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Is it still thru-hiking when...

You hire one of these guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherpa#...mountaineering

and have him carry a bunch of luxurios and heavy gear while you follow him with cigarrets and a camera?

"Must be getting early, Clocks are Running Late" The Doctor's Avatar

Of course it is, as long as you pass every blaze then it counts, doesn't matter who's carrying your gear. That's just common trail knowledge you moron. Little ditty bout' jackl and diane!
    "When the going gets tough, the tough take a hike"

What if you miss one blaze? Could that be forgiven? What if you don't know where all the blazes are? How would you know if you passed every blaze? How many blazes are there, so we can count as we hike?

Images

Question Which blazes must I tag?

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    What if you miss one blaze? Could that be forgiven? What if you don't know where all the blazes are? How would you know if you passed every blaze? How many blazes are there, so we can count as we hike?
    Hi! I'm a newbie and I have a few questions to add to those I've quoted. Since I want to hike my own purist hike on which I will drink only untreated spring water or Purist Pale Ale brewed by Appalachian Brewing Company in The Keystone State of the A.T., I wonder if you might clarify a few things for me about tagging those "friendly white markers?"
    1. Do I need to tag blazes on trees that have fallen?
    2. What about leaners?
    3. Must I touch only blazes I on the south sides of trees when hiking northbound and vice-versa when hiking southbound?
    4. Which blazes do I tag when the trail runs parallel to the lines of latitude as on Blue Mountain?
    5. What about those blazes that seem to be on neither one side of the tree nor the other?
    6. Do double-blazes need to be tagged twice?
    7. Are blue blazes not tagged with the left hand by those who are right-handed?
    8. What should I do in Pennsylvania if I encounter a fat blaze on a sapling that may or may not mark a State Game Lands boundary?
    Also, I plan to hike only when there's no snow on the ground. How do you guys who hike in the winter in New England tag the blazes when the snow gets above breast height?
    Last edited by emerald; 03-26-2007 at 22:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Also, I plan to hike only when there's no snow on the ground. How do you guys who hike in the winter in New England tag the blazes when the snow gets above breast height?
    ...or when wind-blown snow obscures all the blazes -- those on trees, and on the rocks on the footpath. (Been there, done that.)

Images

Question Purist winter hikes

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    ...or when wind-blown snow obscures all the blazes -- those on trees, and on the rocks on the footpath. (Been there, done that.)
    Is a purist hike under such conditions even possible? It must have taken you forever under such conditions! Did you have the coordinates for each blaze and carry a wisk broom and small shovel? Guess you needed extra food too.

Is a purist hike under such conditions even possible? It must have taken you forever under such conditions! Did you have the coordinates for each blaze and carry a wisk broom and small shovel? Guess you needed extra food too.
    I do very little winter hiking/camping and this experience is one of the reasons why. I spent way too much time trying to find the trail or reassure myself that I was still on it. It would have been very easy to get lost, and if I had, it would have been a seriously bad situation. FWIW, this was on the Centennial Trail, the AT between Rte. 2 and the summit of Mt. Hayes, just east and north of Gorham.

Images

I guess that winter hiking stuff is for more experienced hikers. Maybe I should stick to 3-season hiking until I get hiking under those conditions sorted out.

I hear if you miss any blazes in PA the ghost of Earl shaffer will snore beside you all the way through till CT.

Im still haunted....

Hi! I'm a newbie and I have a few questions to add to those I've quoted. Since I want to hike my own purist hike on which I will drink only untreated spring water or Purist Pale Ale brewed by Appalachian Brewing Company in The Keystone State of the A.T., I wonder if you might clarify a few things for me about tagging those "friendly white markers?"
    2. What about leaners?
    3. Must I touch only blazes I on the south sides of trees when hiking northbound and vice-versa when hiking southbound?
    4. Which blazes do I tag when the trail runs parallel to the lines of latitude as on Blue Mountain?
    5. What about those blazes that seem to be on neither one side of the tree or the other?
    8. What should I do in Pennsylvania if I encounter a fat blaze on a sapling that may or may not mark a State Game Lands boundary?
    What about just having hikers purchase those fast pass thingies you see stuck to windshields in areas with toll roads? We could embedd all the white blazes with sensors and wear the fast pass thingie on our foreheads. That way there's no question.

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    What about just having hikers purchase those fast pass thingies you see stuck to windshields in areas with toll roads? We could embedd all the white blazes with sensors and wear the fast pass thingie on our foreheads. That way there's no question.
    Now I'm thinking of the toll booth in Blazing Saddles. "Somebody go back and get a whole *****tload of dimes!"

so, is it still thru hiking if you have a sherpa?

Images

Default Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    so, is it still thru hiking if you have a sherpa?
    Sherpa, van, what's the difference? Is an ascent of Mt. Everest supported by Sherpas not a legitimate, recognized ascent?

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

You're all on drugs. I'm convinced. Don't deny it.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    You're all on drugs. I'm convinced. Don't deny it.
    I deny it completely. I will admit I've not been right and can't seem to get right since MinnesotaSmith Update was closed! I also seemed more normal when posting after mweinstone.
    Last edited by emerald; 03-26-2007 at 22:27. Reason: Google toolbar didn't know how to spell mweinstone.

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Now I'm thinking of the toll booth in Blazing Saddles. "Somebody go back and get a whole *****tload of dimes!"
    LMAO good one!

Can i ship a sherpa to the us ? would be nice to have how much u think they cost lol...

Sherpa, van, what's the difference?
    Does Sherpa Van have a WB account?

Oh, wait. Sherpa. Van. I get it but I don't think you can get a van up Everest.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrm78 View Post
    Can i ship a sherpa to the us ? would be nice to have how much u think they cost lol...
    Sure a Sherpa would be nice, but could you handle the burden of the shipping?
    Last edited by emerald; 03-26-2007 at 23:11.

Journal Entries

2. What about leaners?
    5. What about those blazes that seem to be on neither one side of the tree nor the other?
    The proper protocol is to kick the blazes on fallen trees. If in doubt about whether a blaze is for north or south bound hikers, hug the tree. Cut down any confusing blaze trees. If in doubt about the meaning of a blaze, call Harpers Ferry on you cell phone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++