WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MP3 Player

Images

Default MP3 Player

I am thinking about getting this little gem and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Sansa® e260 MP3 Player 4GB
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

I always recommend Creative's products when it comes to MP3 players. Both of my siblings have one (an older Zen Micro and the new Zen V Plus) and they are both great products. They both have built in FM tuners and microphones so you can record your thoughts (should you feel the need, speaking required, it doesn't read minds... yet). Creative also has a number of smaller MP3 players (jump drive type) if you wanted to go that route. They are lighter and a lot of them run off of AA or AAA batteries so you can just replace them when they run out rather than have to recharge them. I would definitely recommend Creative over Apple's Ipods as well. Ipods don't impress me nearly as much as some other models.

Adam

Images

I have an Iriver and love it. It also has an fm tuner and mic jack, also runs off 1 AA batt. Creative's mp3s also sparked my interest, I just got a deal on this 512 with extras on ebay.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

http://www.brewtopiafest.com/images/M_MPC827.jpg

15 bux at fye

real light
    128 mb
    headphones included...
    cant beat it
    Brian

I don't have the Sansa® e260 player, but I do have a couple other Sandisk MP3 players and they have worked great. The only reason I went away from it was that I was given a 8Gb IPod.

I would not be afraid of any Sandisk products.....

Images

Can you get weather reports from various stations as you move north? Anyone have trouble with that? My main concern is not being able to get weather reports. I will be re-supplying heavy and not hitting towns more than every 3-5 days so the raio is a very improtant feature for me. thanks

I personally love my ipod shuffle. It's small, inexspensive, and weighs practically nothing!!!

Images

Maybe these two reviews might help.

Sansa e260

Sansa e260R

ASWAH
    Images

I am partial to Frontier Labs MP3 players... I have an ancient one and it keeps working despite me. I personally prefer ones that allow me to use batteries rather than rechargeable ones. My mp3 uses two AA and keeps me listening to music pretty constant for five days out. I found with electronis that manufacturers seldom give correct battery life estimates. If anyone else has used a battery operated one extensively how much battery life did you get?

ASWAH
    "Bacchus has drowned more men then Neptune"

Thomas Fuller

Images

Thanks for the replies and links. The reasons i am looking hard at this one is;
    1. FM Tuner
    2. Able to do voice recordings
    3. has 4g internal flash memory
    4. Memory is expandable with MicroSD™ cards
    I really like the ability that it can use the Micro SD card. I am not tied to a computer to upload files. I can have a number of cards prepared and ready to ship or being the cards weigh practically nothing I can carry a number of them . As for charging the unit has a user replaceable battery and I am thinking having 2 batteries and also rigging up a charger from batteries.
    Last edited by ShakeyLeggs; 03-29-2007 at 17:35.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Default Creative Labs Nano

Hi there Brother, Rebel here. I got a Creative Labs Zen Nano 1 Gig for my hike on the AT for this year, Yep going again

It uses 1 AAA battery that gets 16 hours per battery. I bought some Lithium AAA's and Im getting almost 30 hours off those. It has an FM tuner, Takes recorded notes and will hold about 500 songs. I even thought of you and got some Bob Marley.

Several people ( SGT Rock and others ) have used this player successfully and said it worked well for them. The other one I thought of getting was the IRiver brand. It uses 1 AA and has a longer battery life ( 30 hours per ). Everything I use takes AAA's so the Creative was the route I took.

Good to hear from you and tell Lisa hello for me. Miss Ya

Cya on the Trail
    Rebel, with a Cause !!

Hey Shaky_legs,

I love MP3s....and MP3 players. Best thing since sliced bread.

Have you ever considered "the poor mans I-Pod"? Its what I currently use.

Sony D-NF400 CD Walkman

Pros:
    It plays MP3s (just burn them to a recordable cd..that's 750 mags a disk)
    It plays CDs
    It has FM
    It has AM
    It has TV band
    It has Weather Band
    It takes two AA bateries
    It is durable....I have dropped my at least 20 times on the sidewalk and it still works great!
    It's cheap...the thing is like only 50 bucks!

Cons:
    It ain't super light...It wieghs just as much a regular CD walkman
    It's noware as cool as an I-Pod, Nano, etc
    A recordable cd only can hold about 750 megs of MP3s.

Anyway, I think these CD walkmans that play MP3s are the bomb.

NutLub

AARGHH!!!! I hate not being able to go back and fix my misspellings!! Whiteblaze.net you are too cruel!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nutlub View Post
    AARGHH!!!! I hate not being able to go back and fix my misspellings!! Whiteblaze.net you are too cruel!!!
    All you have to do is donate.

I have the 2GB little sister of this mp3 player that I got this past week and its great. Only weighs 1.3oz with battery and if I broke it I wouldnt care that much since its relatively cheap. Ill use the radio to get weather reports during the hike too.

For All Youse Above --

I'm 'stuck' with an iPod and 'stuck' in the Rocky Mountain West where distances from trails to what passes as civilization are great and population densities small. So I find it hard to imagine that the FM receivers in the MP3 players reliably pick up stations while on the trail. I know the AT is within an a couple hours drive of two-thirds of the U.S. population and there's a whole lot of radio stations that are a whole lot closer than what I find in my home range. But, using the MP3 players, can you guys actually pick up a broadcast anytime you want while on the AT? Anybody have any experience with the FM receiver add-ons for the iPods?

In the Scouts, we occasionally carried a transistor radio on the AT...back in the day when transistor radios were the size of paperback books...and when it was all AM broadcasts.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

ASWAH
    Images

Hey Rebel:

are you doing any mail drops? did you quit selling cars? email me direct. I will send some love from Green Mendocino...

ASWAH and Daytripper
    "Bacchus has drowned more men then Neptune"

Thomas Fuller

Lemmie try this again.. Had problems with sansa had to return it 2 times and someone mentioned creative... I have i had one for 2 years never a problem. I would get another creative when i upgrade.

I don't know that there's any "perfect" brand --- I've got a 128MB Creative MuVo, which just periodically shuts itself off (regardless of how well charged the batteries are). Typically this happens to me after I've walked 10 minutes away from my house, and I can't get it to come back on again. Been happening more and more recently --- I expect this one will end up in a landfill soon.

I don't mean this as a slam on Creative, just more that any sort of electronics can break down, particularly if you're an active person while using them (and this unit uses flash memory, no spinning drive ...).

I strongly recommend the Creative Zen Nano Plus 1 GB for a trail MP3 player. It is small, light, uses one AAA battery, has an FM radio, can be used as a voice recorder, and the sound quality is good. You can usually get them for $60 from Buy.com with free shipping, and often there are rebate deals that will drop that price. I just bought another one for my daughter. The base price was $60, and there was a $30 rebate available - hard to beat!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++