WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rain Gear for Big Boys?

Hey guys, I've pretty much got everything for my thru (beginning 4/15) except rain gear. I have an XL Precip jacket but it fits a little tight, so I'm thinking a XXL may do the job (even though I'm 6'3'' 300ish).

I'm actually more worried about the pants, any of you other husky guys use Marmot? If not, any recommendations would be appreciated!

Images

I am not a big guy, but I am really hard on gear. When I went to buy a rainsuit I was more worried about durability and went with the Frogg Toggs Elite. The chart on their website says it has been discontinued, but you can check it out at www.froggtoggs.com.

I really like the rainsuit and it breathes as much as one can. It is a bit heavier than my daughters "Pro Sport" suit which is now listed as being replaced by the "Signature Sport" suit. It works great as well, and is really light.
    Last edited by buckowens; 04-01-2007 at 09:37.

Images

I would agree on moving up a size on a jacket. You want to be able to get a couple of layers underneath, when you are stopped/at camp - when you need it the most..

As for pants, I tried the Precip pants a few months before I went to Alaska 5 years ago.(When I got my first Precip Jacket). I am tall and high waisted, so the Precip pants felt like I was pulling up at the knee when I walked around in the store and felt kinda tight in the thighs.
    I was in Maine a few weeks later and decided to stop at LLBean. I found a pair of Goretex Paclite Pants that were a Tall (they have Tall and Regular) and the waist sizes were a couple of inches bigger than the Precips. I had to pay about $40 more, but it was well worth it (especially amortizing over 5 or perhaps even 10 years) - I love these rain pants. They offer room in the thigh and the Talls mean I am not constantly feeling tight material pulling on my knees when I am hiking uphill. Another nice thing about the Talls, they have more of a rise, so you have extra room in the seat. Great if you want to layer a pair of long johns or tight under them in spring or fall.
    The material is a little heavier than Precip material, but I see it as durability and better wind protection on ridges and summits.
    The other thing I like is that they are full zip, up to about 3 inches below the waist, I usually keep the tops of each leg unzipped for about 4" to act as a chimney vent.
    Over the last 25 years, I have had other goretex pants that unzip right to the top (complete zips) (EMS comes to mind) and I get uncomfortable chafing on my waist where the top of the pants come together with Velcro snaps or both. The LLBeans have a complete one piece elastic waistband~no chafing.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

The journey is the destination eventidecu's Avatar
    Images

I'd agree with the Frogg Toggs if you want roomy pants. But I'm going to go to a skirt for rain I think. Like one of those hiking skirts but made out of silcon fabric. Goe's down just about your knee's. Your not going to want any rain gear thats tight. Might want to look at a poncho if'n you that big a feller.

Springer to Atkins, VA

It can be a challange...I'm 6'4"/250 and findin stuff to wear ain't always easy. I haven't settled on a top yet but I like the idea of a "rain skirt". I think I'm going with a trash bag cut to length...of course I'm only doing a section and not a thru. I've used this before and it's actually fairly effective..not to mention cheap. all the best, pokey

Thanks guys! (Toolshed, as usual, you're a wealth of knowledge for the Fat Boy Hiker Club).

The only thing I worry about with a skirt/kilt is that you're still going to get junk all over your legs as you splish splash through a wet trail. Other than that it sounds pretty cool.

Re: the kilt. I'm just a silly girl, but you can easily be cleaned up when you get to camp. Just do a quick wipe down with a bandana.

Quote Originally Posted by ms doolittle View Post
    Re: the kilt. I'm just a silly girl, but you can easily be cleaned up when you get to camp. Just do a quick wipe down with a bandana.

If you're hairy like me, there's no such thing as a quick wipe down....Now, wearing a skirt, maybe you're also planning on shaving?

How about wearing a poncho? Good ventilation, plenty of room for layering, ease of movement....there are many options.

thepacka.com

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    If you're hairy like me, there's no such thing as a quick wipe down....Now, wearing a skirt, maybe you're also planning on shaving?

How about wearing a poncho? Good ventilation, plenty of room for layering, ease of movement....there are many options.

thepacka.com
    ms. doolittle, you silly girl, what could you possibly know about skirts? :-)

i'm still quite torn. while i long to be free and breezy like my scottish ancestors, i really don't want to be covered in mud....like my scottish ancestors.

i honestly dont know anything about this subject but the Homer Simpson avatar is the coolest thing ive seen in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Cat View Post
    ms. doolittle, you silly girl, what could you possibly know about skirts? :-)

i'm still quite torn. while i long to be free and breezy like my scottish ancestors, i really don't want to be covered in mud....like my scottish ancestors.
    I have a kilt. Yes, I cross dress. Clean up is quite easy for the likes of me.

Try it, you'll like it.

A link to a great kilt site:
    www.sportkilt.com

I believe Mountain Hardware makes one as well.

Plus, boys in kilts ROCK!

Toolshed: Are these the pants you found?
    Stowaway Rainwear®, Pants

Moonshine: Glad you like it! When I found it online the clouds parted, a light shone upon it and Beethoven 's Hallelujah Choir started playing in the background.

Ms Doolittle: Unfortunately, I could never wear another clan's tartan and I don't see MacKenzie as an option....

Ms Doolittle: Unfortunately, I could never wear another clan's tartan and I don't see MacKenzie as an option....
    Och! You didn't look hard enough.

The MacKenzie kilt

Just tryin' to help.

Och! You didn't look hard enough.

The MacKenzie kilt

Just tryin' to help.
    Oh, nice! I was looking at the hiking kilts which only have a couple of tartans. Those sports kilts are great and while I'd definitely use one for highland games or day hikes I think they might be a little heavy for a thru.

Thanks for the help, though! I like your 'can-do' attitude. Now let's convince them to make the hiking quilts in more tartans.

Oh, nice! I was looking at the hiking kilts which only have a couple of tartans. Those sports kilts are great and while I'd definitely use one for highland games or day hikes I think they might be a little heavy for a thru.

Thanks for the help, though! I like your 'can-do' attitude. Now let's convince them to make the hiking quilts in more tartans.
    LOL!

No problem. The hiking kilts are pretty new. I really don't think there is much difference, except for length, between the one I linked for you and the hiking kilt. You might be surprised at the number of guys you run into on the trail with kilts.

I'll work on the hiking quilts.

Good luck to you!

++ New Posts ++