WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

As for gear I was disappointed in...
    One of them is the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. I actually do love this pack, but damn the lack of pockets gets annoying sometimes. I need an outer mesh pocket, and I'd like it if I didn't have to pay extra for a hipblet pocket.

Another is the MSR Hubba. Good tent. I like the headroom a lot, but side to side it's small, quite small. For 3.5 lbs, that's OK, but it really makes me wish I had known about the Tarptents before buying the Hubba.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Falqon View Post
    I was pretty disappointed in my Black Diamond Lightsabre bivy.
    You bought a shelter with the word lightsabre in it?

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Hiker View Post
    That is slick.....kind of like toe socks. Has anyone used these or know what the weight of them are?
    Men’s size 42 -
    5.3 oz. each, 10.6 oz. a pair
    Women’s size 37 -
    4.25 oz. each, 8.5 oz.a pair

I have some that I use to run in. They are amazing. I love being bare foot and this allows me to be barefoot anywhere without worrying about where I am stepping. My wife dispises them. They are pretty ugly.

Images

I can't imagine that no one will admit to buying a Dana Packfly.

Anyone want one?

Images

my worst waste of money-CMG Bonfire LED light. i couldn't even give it away at a recent garage sale.

second worst-Princeton Tec Pulsar II. Switch turns on way too easily. Found it 'on' in my pack twice. so i'm back to using a Photon. About double the cost, but reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtygaiters View Post
    As for gear I was disappointed in...
    One of them is the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. I actually do love this pack, but damn the lack of pockets gets annoying sometimes. I need an outer mesh pocket, and I'd like it if I didn't have to pay extra for a hipblet pocket.

Another is the MSR Hubba. Good tent. I like the headroom a lot, but side to side it's small, quite small. For 3.5 lbs, that's OK, but it really makes me wish I had known about the Tarptents before buying the Hubba.
    Just returned from the PCT and absolutely loved my Hubba. Yes it is narrow, and I'm not a "thin" guy but I came home thinking that this was one of the best purchases I've ever made. OTOH almost all of the hikers using H.S. Tarp / tents reminded me of my old British motorcycles...they work fine as long as you continuously work on them.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    How could I forget the worst one? I bought one of those special made, extra light tents. I gave $300 for something that was like sleeping in a car wash. I asked in advance if it would be water proof. I was assured it would be water proof...it wasn't. We were in the middle of no place on the PCT when we discovered how bad that purchase was from Moonbow. I've paid a lot less for a better tarp to cover my fire wood with.
    Did you seam seal it?

Default New Gear that you were "disappointed" in?

It wasn't the seems. The rain came through the material like we were in a car wash. I specifically asked if it would leak. I was assured that it wouldn't...it did.

I do not like Thermarest sleeping pads. I always manage to end up rolling off of mine because it just isnt wide enough. I decided to use a foam bottom that attaches to a yoga pad. It's light and much softer, Ill carry a little extra weight as long as I get better sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Freezer Bag Cooking. Or maybe I just haven't quite figured it out yet. The food either comes out too watery or too mushy, that is if it's done at all. Some foods don't cook properly unless the water's at a rolling boil and some that cook easily are merely horrid.

What's more, unless I make every meal in advance (and without resupply mail drops planned, that's a non-starter) when I hit town I'll need to make sure that I have a new supply of Ziploc bags and buy from a very limited range of foods. And I'll need a list of foods that won't ever cook that way, to keep me from trying the same failure yet again.

It's fine once in a while for limited things, I'll grant that.

Oh, while I'm at it, I'll add to the list of things that don't live up to their promise, a spork I bought. It's real pretty and it's real light. The "ork" part works well enough. But the "spo" part holds about a quarter-teaspoon, and it takes more calories lifting my arm up with it than it will hold.
    I've had the same experience with freezer bag cooking. I've yet to get get a decent meal with this method.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

For camp shoes, i went with the walmart water shoes. Lite, comfortable, good in or out of water,cheap (2 or 3 bucks),and comfortable.

Journal Entries
    Images

Iodine? Iodine was the biggest waste of space in my pack. Went with a bunch of Boy Scouts who used it each morning to clear a couple of gallons of water for drinking. They covered up the taste with Crystal Lite and boy did I get sick - I now know that I am allergic to Iodine.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Worst Gear

[quote=Colonel Chaco;383813]I do not like Thermarest sleeping pads.

I agree - even with the optional seat pad the weight & comfort isn't great. I bearly used it on a 7 day trip in Algonquin National Park. Young lightweight adults or teens - ok. Adults trying to sleep on your side (Hip) should consider Big Agnes air core -
    provided you don't smoke cus you are going to need the lungs.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Snow Peak Ti cookware - it burned everything except boiling water and food stuck to it like epoxy. My 30+ yo aluminum set is back in use.

Waterproof socks, Seal Skins.. very uncomfortable...

Images

Thermarest. Heavy, wasn't comfortable.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Patagonia capaline? (polypro) boxer / briefs. $26...lasted 6 days before they where full of holes.

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Thermarest. Heavy, wasn't comfortable.
    I tried Pro 4 and didn't like it, but he-dino thinks it is wonderful. I switched to a BA insulated air-core which is heavenly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    I switched to a BA insulated air-core which is heavenly.
    ...I got one of these a few years ago. It was heavenly for about four uses, then suddenly left me lying on the ground halfway through a three-day trip. In the winter. (I had the insulated model.) When one of these goes flat, there's not much left to it. Never again.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    ...I got one of these a few years ago. It was heavenly for about four uses, then suddenly left me lying on the ground halfway through a three-day trip. In the winter. (I had the insulated model.) When one of these goes flat, there's not much left to it. Never again.
    :::: Dino seen with quivering lip and praying this never happens to her. Dino does carry the patch kit. ::::

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++