WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    I keep telling him to stop worrying so much, but he doesn't listen to me.
    I hope he hasn't been sniveling!

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Default Retirement

I made the decision to retire as soon as I reached the magic 20. No sooner had I processed that paperwork, than doubt began to creep in, and I actually tried to stop the process...too late. I loved every minute of my 20 and had decided to leave so that I wasn't, basically, working for half pay beyond. The way of life and the comradery are hard to beat and you'll miss it in the civilian world, but life changes and goes on.

Based on my experience, I'd say go for the hike at the earliest opportunity, whenever that might be. Once a distraction or job offer enters the picture it's going to be very difficult to stick to the plan that you have mapped out now. As the Nike commercial says, "Just Do It", don't wait.
    Last edited by Quoddy; 04-17-2007 at 17:26.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I would concentrate on the retirement.

To quote a song:

"Slip out the back, Jack
    No need to be coy, Roy.
    Just get yourself free!!"

The way the Iraq thing is going, it will keep getting harder and harder to do. The rules seem to be guidelines to be changed at will. I'm 66 and kind of open the mailbox carefully, for fear of an "old guy recall"

Regarding the hike:

I know you're a pro and an icon in the hiking community, but everybody who rushes to do a thru, seems to come up lame, injured and/or unhappy.

It's pretty obvious that early departure means higher probability of bad weather.

Consider more options, like getting a job with the hike time off approved up front.

Hope it works out for you

Tom

Images

Default Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    I made the decision to retire as soon as I reached the magic 20. No sooner had I processed that paperwork, than doubt began to creep in, and I actually tried to stop the process...too late. I loved every minute of my 20 and had decided to leave so that I wasn't, basically, working for half pay beyond. The way of life and the comradery are hard to beat and you'll miss it in the civilian world, but life changes and goes on.

Based on my experience, I'd say go for the hike at the earliest opportunity. Once a distraction or job offer enters the picture it's going to be very difficult to stick to the plan that you have mapped out now. As the Nike commercial says, "Just Do It", don't wait.
    Hey First Sergeant! Retired AF here. 23 years, 7 months, 27 days. Quodddy hit the nail right on the head with his comments. The transition back to civilian life is a real challenge. I think the hike is a great way to make that change.

Some of the best advice I ever got from the E-9 I worked for was "You'll know when it's time to retire. When it is, go." You sound like you know it's time. Don't ever worry or think about being a coward. You've served with honor. You have to think about both your future and your families. Drop the papers and be happy.

As for the hike....for me early Feb is just too soon to start a hike. Here's my two cents worth. Process out on the date you had planned. Take the PTDY and get your family settled and grab a breather. It's going to be a really hectic time. Get everything in place and then start in March.

Quoddy also hit the nail on the head when he says once a distraction or a job enters the picture, it's hard to go hiking. I worked for IBM for 10 years after my retirement before I was able to break loose and do what I wanted.

You and Dixie do what's best for you. Thanks for your years of service and all the deployments. It's your time now. Enjoy it.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

Submitted the retirement request today for 1 May 2008
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Submitted the retirement request today for 1 May 2008
    ==================================

Big step ...congrats !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Thanks. Now it just has to get approved.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Congratulations!

Images

Congrats Rock!!! WoooohoOOOOOO!!!!!!
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Default Congrats

Hope your last year is as good as your first 20.

Now, as a 1SG, I'm not sure you will have the same problem seperating as I did as a lowly Spec., but damn if I didn't have to hound the clerks and commanders up the chain to process my paperwork in time. In the end, my Battalion Commander had to step in. He gave them a day. Next day, all was done. Rank indeed has its privileges.

I'm with the crowd here. Separate as soon as is possible and hike as soon as is enjoyable.

Again congrats, hoohaa, and dismissed.
    Yahtzee

You’re employed where it’s becoming more and more difficult to fill vacancies. It’s not going to get any better in the near future. The longer you stay, the greater the probability that the consequences of staying will become increasingly negative.

GET OUT AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY WHICH PRESENTS ITSELF.

You’ve been living away from your family, in a potentially dangerous situation. You’re considering coming back to promptly leave again.

Hmmm, sorry your marriage and family haven’t worked out better for you.

May I suggest, get out, come back, relax a bit, and reacquaint yourself with your family and friends. Remember, you haven’t gone through this all alone. They’ve been anxious about you.

If you retire ASAP, you’ll have plenty of time to acclimate to non-military life, and leave on a more reasonable starting date. If you should “fail” and not even leave this year, you probably will have found something better to do. At worst, there’s always next year; you’ll only be a year older.

Learn to relax. I was in the Army only three years. When I got out, I thought I was fine. I realized, many years later, it probably took me about seven years to get over it.

Thank you for serving.

All the best.

P.S. Your marriage and family not working out better, paragraph #4, was a bit crude, but I wanted to startle you into thinking outside the green tunnel. No harm intended.
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Thanks. Now it just has to get approved.
    If not just go AWOL...

good decision Rock...listen to Dixi...you'll get by just fine..

heck U could even move up here to AK you'd love it here.

all is well
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vi+ View Post
    You’re employed where it’s becoming more and more difficult to fill vacancies. It’s not going to get any better in the near future. The longer you stay, the greater the probability that the consequences of staying will become increasingly negative.

GET OUT AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY WHICH PRESENTS ITSELF.

You’ve been living away from your family, in a potentially dangerous situation. You’re considering coming back to promptly leave again.

Hmmm, sorry your marriage and family haven’t worked out better for you.

May I suggest, get out, come back, relax a bit, and reacquaint yourself with your family and friends. Remember, you haven’t gone through this all alone. They’ve been anxious about you.

If you retire ASAP, you’ll have plenty of time to acclimate to non-military life, and leave on a more reasonable starting date. If you should “fail” and not even leave this year, you probably will have found something better to do. At worst, there’s always next year; you’ll only be a year older.

Learn to relax. I was in the Army only three years. When I got out, I thought I was fine. I realized, many years later, it probably took me about seven years to get over it.

Thank you for serving.

All the best.

P.S. Your marriage and family not working out better, paragraph #4, was a bit crude, but I wanted to startle you into thinking outside the green tunnel. No harm intended.
    Good thing you cleared that up. I was wondering where the hell that came from.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Thanks, Sarge. Best of luck in all your future experiences. You're a hero to many, many Americans. Cheers! (and tell dixie thanks too)

Rock, I know you can handle the cold. I know that I can too. I was in the army, a paratrooper and have been colder and wetter than most hikers can even wrap their heads around. I'm sure you have too.
    My point now is that I don't HAVE to be cold and wet any more so I try not to be. When given the choice it seems that I prefer a hotel in Gatlinburg to 7 inches of snow. maybe you will feel that way too? maybe not. but something to consider.

pt
    before washing your jeans shorts, pre-treat by throwing them away.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Save as much money as you can now, retire ASAP. Please.
    You have so many friends on the trail, espacially the Southern parts, it'll cost you nothing and you'll be begging to get back on the trail. Start early and enjoy the "magic" and the company because you know it'll mean as much to those giving it as it does to you.
    Take your time and know you deserve it. Enjoy!

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    I keep telling him that we'll get through this. I really think that the plan of him getting out of the Army ASAP is the best for us. And him taking any job in the middle east is definately OUT of the question.... PERIOD. I have spoken. I don't care how many figures are attached to the salary.

As for the hiking plan... the option that sounded sanest (that's a word right?) to me was the one where he sections down here below VA, when the weather permits, then in spring (mid March I think we discussed) I drop him off a little north of Damascus and send him on his way to Katadin. Well it made sense to me anyway, of course I was half asleep last night when we were talking about it. LOL.

I keep telling him to stop worrying so much, but he doesn't listen to me.
    Hah! That's what I said before I read your post. I don't know you but from what I've read I think you'd take on a few extra hours work if you knew he was home safe. Know what I mean?

Journal Entries

OK, here is the situation...

I am getting to the point retirement from the Army cannot come fast enough, nor can the thru-hike. My plan has been to retire "officially" 1 July 2008, but start terminal leave and such on 22 March and start walking that weekend. Now what I am thinking of doing is submitting my retirement in a couple of weeks to get out 1 May 2008 - but this means moving my hike start to the left as we say.

So, with leave and all, I could retire 25 January next year, and start walking a week later - the 3rd of February. That seems awful early for a start to me. I know I can probably hack the weather in most conditions, but I'm afraid it might mean taking more days off - enforced zeros. The plan would be to give myself about 24 weeks (168 days) from start to finish which would mean I would probably finish around the 19th of July. And because Army retirement cannot be lived on, I would have to start working again somewhere around 4 August.

I know I can do it if I really put my mind into it. But honestly I don't know if I should push a start date that early in the year. That is about 1.5 months earlier than I originally planned on. I always get good advice from the WhiteBlazers - so honest critical thinking is asked for.

Thanks for your time.
    Sarge:

If you are into seeing the incredible variations and beauty of spring in the Southern Highlands and autumn in New England, I would strongly recommend an April 1 start. One reason I don't list myself as a thru hiker -- or as a 2000-miler -- is that I was so enthralled by what I was seeing and exploring in the southern Appalacians that I found it impossible to both enjoy the beauty and still do the required miles -- for me as a 64-year-old largely office worker, at least.

I strongly suspect that after three tours in Iraq you are far more able to do the miles than I was.

The AT is an experience of a lifetime, which can only be truly achieved by experiencing the southern Appalachians, and autumn in New England. i.e. an early to mid April start on Springer and an October summit of Katahdin -- with a lot of side trails to scenic overlooks, water falls, and historic sites in between.

Weary

Images

Rock:

A few thoughts, without reading through the entire thread (about half).

First, try to line up the post-retirement job before you leave. I think you will find that, with your experience, you may be a lot more marketable than you think in a number of fields. If you have the job lined up, with an agreement from the employer, about the AT, you'll feel a lot less pressure than I did, just quitting and hoping that "after" would work out. It does, but you don't need the pressure.

Second, you're a lot different than others here, for whom "sponsorships" are sometimes more like "begging" than fully legitimate: Whether it's the Army (and don't immeidately think it wouldn't, even with you retiring), veteran's groups, or businesses, you may well be able to get financial support for what you're doing. You can serve as an emblem as well as an inspiration for a lot of other veterans and military retirees, and being given honoraria - look up the word, honest - is NOT objectionable.

Third, what you are doing is totally selfish. Everything you do is. I mean that. And you know it. Before people - and you - start jumping all over me, all of us do things solely because whatever is done has, as its purpose, our own satisfaction. For roughly 22 years you've developed - I hope - a strong and good feeling from what you have done for millions of us by your service in the Army, as well taking care of your comrades. You get, I can tell, a great feeling for having been a good father and husband. And there are a lot of other things...not least is that you take pride in making neat stoves...that you do for the good feelings you feel as you do them. Good. Doing the trail is no different; you will do much for others by walking it, as anyone who has tried can tell you, as well as your own delight. Do it, and be glad, and never apologetic for the joy you get from it. It's a good thing to do, and a good thing for you to do.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve View Post
    If not just go AWOL...

good decision Rock...listen to Dixi...you'll get by just fine..

heck U could even move up here to AK you'd love it here.

all is well
    You tell him Steve!

Good thing you cleared that up. I was wondering where the hell that came from.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by leeki pole View Post
    (and tell dixie thanks too)
    Most welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Hah! That's what I said before I read your post. I don't know you but from what I've read I think you'd take on a few extra hours work if you knew he was home safe. Know what I mean?
    Oh yeah! That's exactly the plan. I will get a job to take up the slack until he finishes his hike and can get back and get his own job. He just doesn't like the idea all that much. LOL.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++