WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: SoBo 2008

Images

Default SOBO Maddy?

Hey Matthew, Did I just read that you are going SOBO in 08. That's my gig dude. Gonna go as soon as I can get my job tied up at the end of the school year. Hopefully before June 15th. You SOBOnders ought to come to my house and cache stuff. THen when we walk by my front door we can party, eat and sleep, then head out again with a spring in our step for Springer....

After the wind storm we had up here in the Western Whites on April 14 and 15, looks like I'l be cutting blowdowns for the next six weeks. Look for my bog bridges, they all have HW carved into them
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

I've been thinking about setting aside $5k for from the time I leave home till I get back, excluding bills. Roughly $500 for transport to and from the trail, $500 for shoes, $500 for replacement equipment and Aqua Mira, $500 for if I don't quit smoking, $3000 for food, board, laundry, and booze. I don't like having to worry about funds when I'm on vacation, it can kill the experience for me sometimes and at other time has made it a hell of a lot more interesting.

Journal Entries

like i said, there are a lot of figures floating out there on how much one blows on the trip. $3-5k sounds reasonable for a few months.
    -EWS, you faliled to price out for the concubines.
    -Hillwalker, i will be in the whites in June. R u seriously that close to the AT? A cache drop at ur place in NH sounds like the perfect time to come off the trail for a day and chill in '08.

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    -EWS, you faliled to price out for the concubines.
    I got a good deal in Kashistan, so I paid for them in full. I have them currently working in a sweatshop in sewing in tags for Abercrombie and Finch t-shirts, so they can afford they're own gruel while not doing fulltime slave labor.

Journal Entries

i am near Kashistan now myself, except that there are no concubines. heck, even if there was, i would only get a 3min rinse off w/ a bottle to clean up after them.

Which FOB are you at?

Journal Entries

Endurance. You?

Journal Entries

Default Does Katahdin ever open early?

Can anyone tell me if Katahdin ever opens earlier than 1 June? Also, I know Katahdin is not like Springer, but how many people start out on average from there? Oh, and since there may be a small bug problem in those neck of the woods, does anyone know the best way to convince the bugs to eat up my partner so i can hike bug free?

formerly amazonwoman

Can anyone tell me if Katahdin ever opens earlier than 1 June? Also, I know Katahdin is not like Springer, but how many people start out on average from there? Oh, and since there may be a small bug problem in those neck of the woods, does anyone know the best way to convince the bugs to eat up my partner so i can hike bug free?
    I've done some research and I don't think you can go up any earlier.

Oh! and as a potential hiking partner I'm offended that you would wish the bugs on me! You are on your own, you freak!

right on! whatever julie said. im trying my hand at trolling. anyone mad? cause our thread needs spice. wanna play strip poker anyone?
    matthewski

formerly amazonwoman

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    right on! whatever julie said. im trying my hand at trolling. anyone mad? cause our thread needs spice. wanna play strip poker anyone?
    That would probably be a short game. I bet you pervs are sitting around posting in your boxers.

Julie

wearing a towel. just got home from work. you aw root beer, i want you to be my shaperone at trail days. i gonna get pritty out of hand. your dutys include makeing sure im tucked in and read a story. and your main duty is getting hugged!
    matthewski

formerly amazonwoman

Sorry Matty, not looking good for me getting to Trail Days. You may want to look for another chaperone. Looks like I'll be chained to my desk that weekend. I'll keep trying but don't get your hopes up.

Hey Snifur,

You are from Maine. How far do you live from the trail?

Julie

Journal Entries

Yes i am proudly a Maineiac! Oh, i am quite a ways from the trail. Too far for any excursion off the trail. Look up Cornish Maine on the maps. Small town near Ossipee, NH.

Journal Entries

Just got back from Iraq and all settled in back here in New England. Trying to get out and log some miles on the trails. I am still shooting for a 2008 SoBo.
    Amazon Woman, u still game?
    Does anyone know any others that are serious about a heading south in 2008?

Snifur--

Welcome home and thank you!!

Katahdin is open year-round, as far as I know, but you should check with the Park Office and Rangers if you're planning to be in the Park before 1 June. There are special rules and regulations on "early" use involving camping, etc., and they definitely will want to talk to you about your gear, experience, conditioning, the weather, etc. They might also insist you climb with other people as a pre-caution. In any case, if you go to www.baxterstateparkauthority.com, there's lots of info, plus numbers you can call if you have other questions. Good luck!! (You can also send a personal message to Teej here at WB who seems to know more about Baxter than anyone else here!)

formerly amazonwoman

I'm more dedicated than ever! I got a huge raise recently so the money is going to be no problem. I'm going to do a local overnight gear shakedown soon. It will be September before I can take vacation and go put any footprints on the trail. Any ideas?? Let me know. Just keep it moderate. I'm a flatlander and need to start small.

Amazonwoman (Julie)

Journal Entries

J-T, thanks for the link. Great info in there!

All generalizations are false, including this one wesxero's Avatar

Just got back from Iraq and all settled in back here in New England. Trying to get out and log some miles on the trails. I am still shooting for a 2008 SoBo.
    Does anyone know any others that are serious about a heading south in 2008?
    Yea, I'm heading SOBO after I get back from Iraq and finally get out. I'm looking at a June start myself. Days are flexible. I kinda need some flexibility after being in ya know.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained." -Mark Twain

Journal Entries

wesxero, welcometo WB!
    I here u on your return! Keep in touch. Looking forward to meeting u on the trail. Feel free to message me if u got any questions. L8tr.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++