WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Questions for an '08 throu-hike

Hi guyes, I have been lurking for about a year, and have finaly decided to do a throu-hike attampt next year ('08), and have begun to make plans accordingly. I am in the prossess of revising my budget to save up the cash for the trip, revewing my gear and seeing what I can eliminate and lighten. I got a Hennasy and am going to get a larger tarp, lighter pad (insulation mostly),ect.

On to my questions:

How often do you throu-hikers build campfires? and is it worth packing a hatchet?

How many of you
    A; carries maps ans compas, and
    B; had a use for one or the other,
    C; had eather map or compas and never used eather, or didn't have eather map or compas and needed one?

There are several "guiedbooks" avalable (throu-hikers companion, Wingfoot's, ATC's ect), which one(s) get the most use, or are the most usfull. If you had to choose only one, which one would it be?

What piece of gear did you start with and regret having or discard?

What pece of gear did you not have and regret not having or add durring the hike?

Has any of you tried "foraging" (gathering eddible plants and such to supplament or replace packed food? Is doing so leagl?

At what points do most peopla drop out and for what reason? (baring severe injury)

What one trate (if any) would you say defines a successfull throu-hiker versus aan unsuccessfull one?

Thanks!

ps, who do I PM to chjange my screen name?

Default Pentecost No More

Maps are an individual thing. Some say you should always carry a map, others feel it creates unnecessary expectations. I like em cos they are a source of information and conversation. Always nice while on a break to bust out a map and reconnoiter.

It wasn't a piece of equipment I regretted carrying but too much food. Good planning and flexibility go a long way.

I wished I had brought a small winter cap. (Easily remedied). Even on the warmest day, at night after the earth and your body have cooled down, a hat came in handy to make things more comfortable.

Fire memories are distorted. I always remember fire nights more than those without. I know, I went weeks without, and then would have days in a row of ragers. Really depends on weather and social conditions. But a hatchet is unneccessary. A couple I hiked with had a 2 oz. saw that worked awesome but never saw the likes of it in a store. For the most part, downed limbs are plentiful.

Barring injuries, I would say that the thing that pulls most off the trail is unmet expectations. Tis not what they thought it would be.

Good luck.
    Yahtzee

Whenever there was cool weather and fires were allowed, there were fires. Usually there's a firepit. If camping away from an established site with a firepit, you might not want to build a fire. Some of my best thru-hiking memories were sitting around fires BS'ing.

You don't need a hatchet, as Yahtzee said--it's too heavy anyway. If a limb is too fresh or big to break, just burn it in the middle and push the ends into the fire, or burn one end. Firewood is generally plentiful, especially if you pick it up coming back to camp from a water supply.

Just make sure your fires are out. You will find many fires still hot under the ash, fortunately mostly in firepits.

Foraged for berries and tried boiling fiddle-head fern but they were bitter. Don't plan on any foraging as a source of food unless you're looking in hiker boxes, and even then you would likely be disappointed.

A lot of people drop out in the beginning, and it seems a lot drop out at Harpers Ferry. One guy broke his wrist going up Katahdin in 2006, after having started in Key West. In addition to the unmet expectations and injuries, a lack of money stopped more than a few.

Never saw anyone needing or using a compass. On the AT you don't need a map if you have a guidebook unless there's an emergency. I think profile maps are generally terror-invoking anyway because of the distorted scale. There are gear lists and information all over this site. If you do a northbound they have everything you need at Neels Gap if you find you're missing something. As long as you can safely keep warm and have enough to eat, it would be better to start out with too little than too much.

Get a proposed gear list together, with weights, and post it here, and you will get great advice.

Well lets see; Hear is my gear list, although I don't know the individual weights

My pack is a Gregory Forister (large)-I am thinking of getting a lighter pack
    sleeping bag is a Kelty Arete- +15 rated down
    hennasy explorer hammock-+4 msr aluminum steaks (medium rare)
    MSR titanium 2 quart pot and a titanium seara cup
    MSR sweet water filter-I am going to replace this with a "just drink" filter
    Cammleback 3 qt water blater (whick I will remove the cover from)
    1 qt nalageen collapsable water bottle (may get a second)
    pepsi can alcahol stove (no alcohol just yet) with windscreen from my old wisperlight
    Msr camp towle
    match case and matches/lighter
    couple of light sticks
    minni led light with both push to light and a switch for handsfree on-going to glue an alagator clip onto it
    50ft para-cord
    combination spork-spreader
    gerber multi-tool
    plastic spade-tp
    rei super-ultra light thermarest type pad (mostly for insulation in the henassy as well as the rair on-ground experience.
    pioneering compass
    small bottle of skin-so-soft bug repellent
    hand sanatiser (small)
    bio-degradable soap (also small)

I think thats it.

not packed;
    fleese sweater, wight blase t-shirts 2, convertable pants from rei, about 4 pairs of smartwool socks and a couple changes of unmentionables

yet to get;
    water bag
    first-aid kit (basic)
    lightweight parka/polypro longs

So far without food, water or a change of clothes my pack weighs about 23 pounds.

Forgot about the hat- I have a canvas type adventure hat from rei, thinking about replacing with a gortex.

and I have a pair of trek poles.

and several "shore to summit" waterproof ultralight stuffsacks

Hellow...wnyone out there?

Images

How many of you
    A;I carry a guidebook, This time I will carry the Thru-Hikers Companion.
    C; Have a tiny compass on my Thermometer but, never needed it.

The Thru-Hikers Companion proceeds go to the trail...I can't see myself buying another edition of Thru-Hikers Handbook.

Gear I ditched:
    I started with a small but, still too big, First Aid Kit. Now I have some dental floss(for teeth adn thread) a kneedle, 4 antibacterial band aids, and stuff for my feet, and stuff for bug bites.

Also I didn't wear my thermal pants. Though I didn't change into dry clothes either for sleeping in. So I will most likely add them back.

Gear Regrets:

My Rain jacket is a "Shell" and I regretted not having a down vest or heavier Rain jacket. I also regretted not using a Platypus for my water. I now have a 2L Big Zip for easier cleaning. I hated stopping to fumble with my Nalgene.

I also bought an Outdoor Research Stuff sack for my food! Wet food is NOT cool. It already smells like funk!

Has any of you tried "foraging" (gathering eddible plants and such to supplament or replace packed food? Is doing so leagl?

Yes, I found M&M's and Reeses pieces on the trail daily and ate them! Literally!

At what points do most peopla drop out and for what reason? (baring severe injury)

It is said that 50% leave at Neels Gap, some of which is b/c a lot of ppl only do the first 40 miles for Spring Break. Then another 50% by or at Damascus, then another 50% at Harpers ferry. This is what I have HEARD and observed through my own experience and reading trail journals. A LOT of ppl get bored and decide to do it in section hikes.

What one trate (if any) would you say defines a successfull throu-hiker versus aan unsuccessfull one?

If at any point you feel like you have something "better" to do. I had something better to do rather than continue struggling for mileage with injury. I came home, Im doing better, and will try again...Unless I win the Lotto...then I might pay a Sherpa to backpack me tot he top of Everest. THAT would be something "better" for me to do!
    Last edited by RockStar; 05-16-2007 at 00:14.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Images

How often do you throu-hikers build campfires? and is it worth packing a hatchet?

Too much weight. Take a dead branch and use a forked tree to lever off firewood

How many of you
    A; carries maps ans compas, and

Yes
    B; had a use for one or the other,

Map frequently - I like to know what's around me. Compass - not so much - good for getting back to your tent after a party : )

C; had eather map or compas and never used eather, or didn't have eather map or compas and needed one?

There are several "guiedbooks" avalable (throu-hikers companion, Wingfoot's, ATC's ect), which one(s) get the most use, or are the most usfull. If you had to choose only one, which one would it be?

My only experience is with Wingfoots and I loved it. Just took a section at a time and sent the rest up in my resupply boxes.

What piece of gear did you start with and regret having or discard?

Started with a tent. Switched to a silnylon tarp which I used for the rest of the AT. You fall asleep watching the rain or a sunset rather than being a "hiker in a bubble." Lighter too.

What pece of gear did you not have and regret not having or add durring the hike?

Leki hiking poles. They are awesome.

This would take a lot of time. Mostly you hike and you will need some serious caloric intake to keep your body on track. I did supplement my dinners a few times in Maine with freshwater muscles from some of the larger ponds - but this was more for fun. This legal - but for LNT sake, you would want to go off trail a ways to forage.

Hikers just kinda dissappear and then you hear someone say they got off or read it in a register entry. It all comes down to each person's experience. I think your body goes through a major change in Virginia where you go from athlete to super athlete. This makes you insanely tired out, chemically imbalanced, etc. Once you get throught his, you have like super saratonin that fills you with joy for the rest of the hike. Finishing the AT is an experience worth going for. It will change your life.

If you are looking for goodness in people, beauty around you and want to see Kharma/God's love in action you will find kindred spirits all along the AT.

Happy hiking!

TTF

If you're going solo, I'd change-out the 2-qt MSR Titan for their .85 liter.
    You probably won't need a cup, and if you do, use the cook pot.
    If you're starting in the spring, I'd recommend using a canister stove till you get to Virginia. You'll want something that will heat water quickly.
    After the weather warms-up a bit an alcohol stove is more than adequate.
    Get rid of the filter all together and use either Aqua Mira or bleach.
    If using bleach; 2 drops per quart and let stand for 30 minutes.
    Forget the spade, carry and use a snow-stake. It weighs an ounce.
    You'll need rain gear. Our Frogg Toggs worked but they're not very durable.
    Definitely get hiking poles.

I notice that you're from Maryland. Where at?

JustPassinThru
    GA2ME05

Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    If you're going solo, I'd change-out the 2-qt MSR Titan for their .85 liter.
    You probably won't need a cup, and if you do, use the cook pot.
    If you're starting in the spring, I'd recommend using a canister stove till you get to Virginia. You'll want something that will heat water quickly.
    After the weather warms-up a bit an alcohol stove is more than adequate.
    Get rid of the filter all together and use either Aqua Mira or bleach.
    If using bleach; 2 drops per quart and let stand for 30 minutes.
    Forget the spade, carry and use a snow-stake. It weighs an ounce.
    You'll need rain gear. Our Frogg Toggs worked but they're not very durable.
    Definitely get hiking poles.

I notice that you're from Maryland. Where at?

JustPassinThru
    GA2ME05
    Columbia (half way between Baltamore and DC, and a bit to the left)

Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post

It is said that 50% leave at Neels Gap, some of which is b/c a lot of ppl only do the first 40 miles for Spring Break. Then another 50% by or at Damascus, then another 50% at Harpers ferry. This is what I have HEARD and observed through my own experience and reading trail journals. A LOT of ppl get bored and decide to do it in section hikes.

So...by harpers ferry 150% have dropped out?

Images

Neels gap 100-50%= 50
    Damascus 50-50%=25
    H.F. 25-50%=12.5
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

I never was very good at the math...

Here's the closest thing to "facts" available:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...Statistics.htm

Images

Wow, there are a lot of Marylanders here...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pentecost View Post
    I never was very good at the math...
    I just said it kinda funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Here's the closest thing to "facts" available:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...Statistics.htm
    Thanks tater!
    -Churchill

Anyone got any experience with the MSR Titan titanium kettle?

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    Love it. My stove, windscreen, Purell, measuring cup and lighter all fit inside.

Some folks think it is too small, but I've found it to be great for solo backpacking.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    Yes, it's a wonderful pot. Exactly the right size for one person. The lid fits tightly. The spout is great for draining pasta. The bottom is indented and fits perfectly on a cat or soda can stove. The overall proportions make it very stable on the stove and easy to get you hand into to clean.

My only complaint is that the handle can get hot if you are not careful but that would be true of any attached handle.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++