WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

Default Stratton Pond Shelter

Beautiful shelter located just south of Stratton Pond -- though it is one of the pay shelters that requires $6 to stay. It has room for at least 12 inside and a large porch with benches that could easily sleep more on a nice night. The water source is a spring located down by the pond.

I spent a terrific evening here by myself watching a snake slide around in the grass near the fire pit logs. Good times...

- Ivy

Images

My wife and I spent a night here on our recent section hike. Actually we got in at 1 in the afternoon and decided to call it a day because this place was so nice. I think the best part was going down to Stratton pond and soaking my legs and feet in the water, ahhhhh

Images

The beginning of August I did my first section hike and will always have fond memories of the Stratton pond shelter. We had 8 or 9 great folks there and the pond felt great after a day on the trail that ended with a terrific sunset over the pond.

Although I didn't stay there, I did enjoy taking a dip in the pond. It was chilly when I was there (Sept), but boy did it feel good.

The shelter does look real nice. Glad to see you enjoyed it so much.
    Peace Be With You

Images

I stayed at Stratton Pond on July 4, 2005. We had a grand time. The caretaker had some sparklers to celebrate.

I was hiking with a guy called Fish Outta Water. He met Tumblina there that day and now they are getting married. Last spring they hiked in for the memories and he popped the question near the shelter. Apparently there was still to much snow to actually get to it.

Shades of Blue was also there that night in 2005 with his girlfriend. We also had Slow Walker, Prairie Dog and Phaedrus, among others. I think there are some pics in my gallery.

Altogether, it is a wonderful place with wonderful memories.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Arrow Times change...

When I stayed at Stratton Pond Shelter in the early 70's, it was a lean-to...it cost 75 cents, if you could afford it (the caretaker was lenient on that point. )

Annoying porcupines were supplied at no extra charge!

(Ever wake up to see one about 2 feet from your face?)

my boyfriend and I are hiking the bourn pond stratton pond loop this month. any suggestions? Comments? anything to tell us? this is our first shot at the at.

I also stayed there early last August and had the whole place to myself. Not even a mosquito to bother me. That is a beautiful area.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

A coupla years ago, there was a woodpecker that hammered on the side of the shelter at just after dawn. REALLY LOUDLY. Anyone know if it's still there?

Images

We have had lots of rain in VT this spring. Bourn Pond Loop can sometimes be muddy with standing water. Bring crocs or sandals if you want to keep your hiking shoes dry.

I enjoyed my stay there last summer, too, especially since it poured that night. Good company, good conversation as well.

Default Fairly dry now, but some mud

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    We have had lots of rain in VT this spring. Bourn Pond Loop can sometimes be muddy with standing water. Bring crocs or sandals if you want to keep your hiking shoes dry.
    I hiked the Stratton Pond Loop this past weekend, and found it to be fairly dry. But in some spots, you will still encounter some mud. Not too deep. I wore convertible hiking pants and the bottom half were fairly dirty when I got done, but overall, I found it relatively dry given the season.

I parked at the AT trailhead on the Stratton-Arlington Road (copy these coordinates into Google Earth for the exact location): 43° 3'40.33"N 72°58'3.62"W

My hike followed the AT to the summit of Stratton Mountain, where there is a caretaker from the Green Mountain Club. There are no views on the trail itself, but there is a 40' fire tower you can climb.

There's a good 360-degree view from the top of this fire tower. Here's the view looking South towards the Somerset Reservoir, which also shows the caretaker hut (very nice caretaker, very informative).

You can take a side trail over to the Stratton Mountain ski resort, where you'll get some more open views (such as this):

Although the resort is closed, there is a bathroom facility that was left open, with running water and flush toilets (heaven!). You'll also find the USGS marker as you enter the unsigned trail that leads to the resort:

After a snack at the ski resort, I hiked back up to the fire tower and took the Applachian Trail to the right, which continues on down to Stratton Pond, descending about 1400 feet along the way. You will reach a signed junction at the pond. To the right is the pond. To the left is the very fine, large shelter and several tent sites. Huge shelter. Could probably hold 25 people comfortably.

I forgot to photograph the shelter, darn it. Oh look, a pretty butterfly lunching on honeysuckle:

If you are tenting, I'd recommend you make your way to the pond and talk with the Green Mountain Club caretaker at pondside. She can direct you to two tent locations on the pond itself.

One (I was told) is very hidden for added privacy, but she will show you the way. Cost is $5 ... but I imagine a tip is expected if she shows you a really good private tentsite from which you can skinny dip in the pond. I discovered two girls skinny dipping whilst walking the lake perimeter trail - woo hoo! Skinny dipping is no fun unless there's a chance you'll be caught, so I'm sure I made their day! The pictures came out looking really good. If you're reading this, and you were the skinny dippers, PM to purchase the negatives. Only $50!

A really bad storm was brewing, so rather than stay the night, I decided to hike out. I had to really hoof it out of there, so no photographs of the pond or my hike out, unforunately.

To descend Stratton Mountain and finish the loop, you can use the Stratton Pond Trail, which descends to a different parking area further down the Stratton-Arlington Road.

To find the trail from the pond, head from the pond back up to the shelter. The Stratton Pond Trail is the last trail leading off to the right before you reach the shelter. It's marked, but the sign is slightly confusing to some people I am told.

Once you reach the Stratton-Arlington Road at the end of this trail, you'll have about a 3/4 mile roadwalk (to your left) back to your car at the Appalachian Trailhead parking area.

Enjoy your hike!

Cheers,
    Buckwheat

I parked at the AT trailhead on the Stratton-Arlington Road (copy these coordinates into Google Earth for the exact location): 43° 3'40.33"N 72°58'3.62"W
    i was on that road yesterday
    and took a short hike on down branch pond road
    and fri did a little hike around part of sommerset res

the bugs were not too bad

btw the scenery up there, especially the river on Arlington road is just incredible

Quote Originally Posted by poison_ivy View Post
    Beautiful shelter located just south of Stratton Pond -- though it is one of the pay shelters that requires $6 to stay. It has room for at least 12 inside and a large porch with benches that could easily sleep more on a nice night. The water source is a spring located down by the pond.

I spent a terrific evening here by myself watching a snake slide around in the grass near the fire pit logs. Good times...

- Ivy
    Stratton Pond is the best. I have been going there on and off for over 30 years. You were very fortunate to have the shelter to yourself. It can get very crowded. I remember one night throwing one of my boots at a porcupine. Big mistake. I found it in the morning all chewed up. I guess it tasted better than gnawing on the shelter.
    You are never too old.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Funkmeister View Post
    A coupla years ago, there was a woodpecker that hammered on the side of the shelter at just after dawn. REALLY LOUDLY. Anyone know if it's still there?

I stayed there Friday night and yes, the woodpecker is still there! At about 6 am, BANG BANG BANG BANG. If I hadn't already read the log and known to expect him, it would have scared the crap out of me. It sounded like gunshots.
    "Dreamt last night I was climbing mountains
    Way beyond love’s fierce hold..."

Stopped in Sunday 8/17 on our way out, great shelter, clean with a lot of space!!! from the register it is hopping. there are a few tent spots right at the shelter. but the best tenting is on stratton pond!
    ~Christy

also since there isn't a seperate spot for the North Shore tent site - the trail around stratton pond on the North side is completely under water! so you must go the long way to the tent site. My sister, and nephew + friend, took the trail regardless of the warning and ended up waist deep getting the the tent site.

the rest of our group didn't chance it and walked around the lake via the south side with no problem.
    ~Christy

AT 2012

caretaker let my daughter and I hang our hammocks alongside the trail to the lake campsites so that one side was dry... and the other over the water! what a great memory. way nicer than the shelter with no water view...
    Lazarus

Images

Agreed, one of the nice stops on the AT/LT. Do not understand why they put the shelter where they did. A lake view would have been amazing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++