WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Firebug on Trail in Georgia

"Wierd happenings? A few. First, there's a fellow (last seen on Thursday at Low Gap) who is building fires on the trail every night. He's hauling a couple of duffle bags north...each appear to be very heavy. He'll carry one a half mile then go back for the other and leap frog like that all day. Law enforcement was informed and was interested but never showed up. Anyways...you can see the ashes from his fires every few miles on the trail starting at Neel's Gap."

I transferred the above quote from another recent thread.

I received an email this morning from Laura at Cloud 9. Hikers have been reporting to her that they have encountered a hiker that has been burning fires along the trail in Georgia.

I have reported the problem to the GATC trails supervisor. Can anyone give a description of the person?

The fire danger in this area is tremendous and we need to clarify and rid ourselves of this activity!

Mother Nature
    Sue Buak

he should be givin a proper stove if he needs one. i got plenty if needed. oh, and hes an ass.
    matthewski

Images

The guy is approximately 5'10" - 6'0" tall, 180-190 pounds, no idea on his age but he appeared to be in his late 30's to early 40's. Hard to judge his age - it appears the years have not been kind to him. He was looking very rough. Long hair (light brown) and a scraggly beard.

I passed this yahoo last weekend and he's a whack job. I rounded a corner and he's urinating in the middle of the trail. Not to the side, not off in the bushes, literally in the middle of the trail.

I also saw the fires you are referring to. He also builds the fires DIRECTLY on the trail.

Very shady character. He gave me the creeps both times I passed him.

The forest service has issued a ban on all camp fires in Georgia until further notice because of the drought we are in. I hope this guy can be stopped before he starts a major fire, like the one we now have in south Georgia.

Images

Default you, too, huh?!

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    The guy is approximately 5'10" - 6'0" tall, 180-190 pounds, no idea on his age but he appeared to be in his late 30's to early 40's. Hard to judge his age - it appears the years have not been kind to him. He was looking very rough. Long hair (light brown) and a scraggly beard.

I passed this yahoo last weekend and he's a whack job. I rounded a corner and he's urinating in the middle of the trail. Not to the side, not off in the bushes, literally in the middle of the trail.

I also saw the fires you are referring to. He also builds the fires DIRECTLY on the trail.

Yes, exactly, gave me the creeps. Meant to ask you about him earlier. Guess I passed him about an hour after you did (around 5pm), so I tried to hike as much as I could the rest of the day to put distance between him and me.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post

Pissing in the middle of the trail is not entirely a bad thing. And being a shady character is okay too, I mean the trail is full of shady characters hiking every year. This man undoubtedly has some mental issues that have gotten out of hand. If you run into him again why don't you reach out to him, it may be one of the best experiences you will have in your entire life.....

Images

Default Ok

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    Pissing in the middle of the trail is not entirely a bad thing. And being a shady character is okay too, I mean the trail is full of shady characters hiking every year. This man undoubtedly has some mental issues that have gotten out of hand. If you run into him again why don't you reach out to him, it may be one of the best experiences you will have in your entire life.....
    I've done that before and paid for it. You're right, it can be a rewarding experience. Or, it can ruin an otherwise peaceful trail experience. In an environment around other people, it might have been entertaining to get to know him. Around Cold Springs Gap it was creepy.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Pissing in the middle of the trail is not entirely a bad thing
    HUH?

Care to explain?

Images

BTW, there is a outdoor burning ban, including campfires, in the Chattahoochee National Forest because of extremely dry conditions. Its effective till further notice.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    HUH?

Care to explain?
    LNT Purist thought... if you can't wait, mostly in alpine areas, don't tread off the trail, piss on the rocks on the trail..
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
    LNT Purist thought... if you can't wait, mostly in alpine areas, don't tread off the trail, piss on the rocks on the trail..
    No alpine areas in GA last I looked.

Images

Hence the posters "not ENTIRELY a bad thing" which is to say not always, or in certain situations.. This is the only reason I can think of why one should EVER piss on a trail
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    BTW, there is a outdoor burning ban, including campfires, in the Chattahoochee National Forest because of extremely dry conditions. Its effective till further notice.
    I heard he was around Tray,is this still correct?

Ill probably see him tomorrow since I'm at cloud 9 and heading SOBO in the am. Ill kick one of his duffels when I see him. Jackass!!!

I dunno about this guy, but what difference does it make wether your piss lands to the side of the trail or the middle? Seriously, it's hitting the ground either way right? At least that way you're not pissing on the blackberries we like to eat.

Images

When you come to Maine, think before you pick those blueberries.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    HUH?

Care to explain?
    Explain what? Is there something wrong with peeing on the trail?

Images

Would you pee on the Path of Life?

You apparently don't think so.

Do you piss on the sidewalks in Damascus?

Journal Entries
    Images

Is it okay for a bear to crap in the middle of the trail?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++