WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

In some hiking classes that I have attended in the past the topic of where to urinate has arisen. One thing that some of the instructors have said is to just take a pee right on the trail so as not to create damage in areas that are not designated for human use. I have peed right smack dab on the trail and probably will do it again.

What is the difference between an animal and I doing it? Bears crap right in the middle of the trail along with other animals as well.

All your crap consists of is that you just want to bash me, go right ahead. You guys ain't got the guts to admit that you probably have done this too.

Back when I was hiking all the time I've witnessed female hikers squatting right in the middle of the trail to relieve themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    What is the difference between an animal and I doing it? Bears crap right in the middle of the trail along with other animals as well.

All your crap consists of is that you just want to bash me, go right ahead.

Back when I was hiking all the time I've witnessed female hikers squatting right in the middle of the trail to relieve themselves.
    1. Animals don't know any better.

2. Maybe some want to bash you, but don't lump me in with them. I think you are one of the few posters here that display a bit of common sense when they post.

3. Those females you saw are idiots.

The path is surrounded by acres and acres of forest. Anyone who stands on the trail and pisses on the footpath is remarkedly stupid.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Re: urinating on the trail - I've had to because I couldn't get off the trail due to the terrain or undergrowth (mostly when I was re-learning how to hike after I re-learned how to walk), but I certainly don't make a regular practice of doing so. As Max Patch notes, there are acres and acres of forest available....

Geezer

What is the difference between an animal and I doing it?
    When your dog poops on your neighbors lawn, you scoop it up, but when you poop on your neighbors lawn, your dog won't clean up after you.

Bears crap right in the middle of the trail along with other animals as well.

All your crap consists of is that you just want to bash me, go right ahead. You guys ain't got the guts to admit that you probably have done this too.
    No, I don't want to bash you, but neither do I think taking a dump in the middle of the trail is a very nice thing to do.

I have never pooped in the middle of a trail, or on a sidewalk, or on a neighbor's lawn, but you're right. If I had done these things I doubt if I'd own up to it.
    Frosty

Images

I pee right beside the trail all the time. Maybe it's eco-correct to do it right on the treadway, but it'd just be too weird for my warpeded little mind.

Crap on the trail? Nah, but I've seen evidence of "emergency" dumps right beside the trail. It's gross to have to bury someone else's dumps, yuk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    When your dog poops on your neighbors lawn, you scoop it up, but when you poop on your neighbors lawn, your dog won't clean up after you.

Well, you don't know dogs very well do you? I bet if you ever did such a thing your dog would be right there lapping it up!

BTW, I was having a bad Wanderer day yesterday and thought the whole world was bashing me. I suffer from pitty pot syndrome sometimes. Forgive me please...................

Journal Entries
    Images

As far as crapping goes, i ain't about to do that in the middle of the trail. i will get off the trail no matter if it is an alpine area and either bury it or cover it with leaf matter................

Images

Default bear crap

Is it okay for a bear to crap in the middle of the trail?
    No its not, and this is an obvious problem for us hygenic hikers. Therefore, I nominate you as chief enforcement officer, bear division.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Funny, I thought this thread was about the Firebug in Georgia. Has he started to PooPoo in the trail?

Any new reports of him from last weekend's warriors?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Journal Entries
    Images

Ask him if his name is Russell Hemphill, he was a homeless guy who hung out here this past winter and talked about going to Springer and hiking back to hear. He comes across mighty creepy, but he's convinced he is a reincarnated civil war soldier killed at Gettysburg...

Images

Pissing in the middle of the trail is not entirely a bad thing. And being a shady character is okay too, I mean the trail is full of shady characters hiking every year. This man undoubtedly has some mental issues that have gotten out of hand. If you run into him again why don't you reach out to him, it may be one of the best experiences you will have in your entire life.....
    Pissing in the middle of the trail is a VERY bad thing in my book. How hard is it to take a few steps off the trail and do your business? Is defecating in the middle of the trail not a bad thing as well?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Pissing in the middle of the trail is a VERY bad thing in my book. How hard is it to take a few steps off the trail and do your business? Is defecating in the middle of the trail not a bad thing as well?
    Yeah? How does it affect you? I mean why is it a very bad thing to do?

Images

Has "Firebug" been seen around any of the shelters/tent sites? I was up at Mountain Crossings on 5/5 and didn't hear any chatter about him?? The guy doesn't sound too dangerous, but his fires certainly are!!

Images

Default bad stuff

Yeah? How does it affect you? I mean why is it a very bad thing to do?
    Because a speeding hiker could come flying around the corner and you might get him wet. But if he's wearing rain pants and Gore-Tex shoes its OK. Excuse me, he or she.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Because a speeding hiker could come flying around the corner and you might get him wet. But if he's wearing rain pants and Gore-Tex shoes its OK. Excuse me, he or she.
    That's a very good point........I think that hikers should buy rain gear that is especially equipped to deflect urine.......Hey Scope you want to help me invent the stuff?

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I met the gentleman in GA around April 25 or so. He's known to most of the hikers around there as Trader James or Trapper James, something like that. Yes, he was carrying a large, full, pricey pack and when I met him he had two duffel bags which were reportedly full of books. His plan was to spend 10 years on the AT, and then head for the west coast. Something like that. He was nice to me--offered me food and water if I needed it. Other hikers have reported the same friendliness, despite his weirdness.

I think he is the one making campfires within inches of the trailpath. I don't think he's dangerous, just something of an idiot when it comes to LNT. I counted 4 ash-heaps between Neel's and just before Low Gap where I passed him.

Anyway, Joshua, one of the GATC ridgerunners, was aware of Trader James and should have spoken to him by now about the fires.
    -Mark

Images

Default Hmmm...

That's a very good point........I think that hikers should buy rain gear that is especially equipped to deflect urine.......Hey Scope you want to help me invent the stuff?
    Well, you know, as a parent of a toddler in potty training, this actually sounds like a good idea! I'm thinking something like ultralight chaps, made of silnylon with a special anti-bacterial coating. And maybe that same coating in spray form to be applied to shoes. Hmmm.....
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Well, you know, as a parent of a toddler in potty training, this actually sounds like a good idea! I'm thinking something like ultralight chaps, made of silnylon with a special anti-bacterial coating. And maybe that same coating in spray form to be applied to shoes. Hmmm.....
    We could probably purchase all this material at Wal Mart? You think we got time to get a set done by Trail Day's?

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Look dude, your shoes are gonna get muddy & dirty & nasty anyways. Don't worry about whether the mud contains my urine or not, just plan to rinse your bootsoles when you get to town. (Or in the next creek you have to ford.) It's not like you're using your boots to stir your ramen.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Silly View Post
    Look dude, your shoes are gonna get muddy & dirty & nasty anyways. Don't worry about whether the mud contains my urine or not, just plan to rinse your bootsoles when you get to town. (Or in the next creek you have to ford.) It's not like you're using your boots to stir your ramen.
    Do you piss in your hallway at home instead of the toilet?

Same thing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++