WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives

I used to carry to "he-man my blade is bigger than yours survival commando Rambo" knife. Then came to my senses. I've never used my knife for anything more than minor slicing, cutting.

For the real heavy work I whip out either my chainsaw or sword.

Images

Buy your knife on eBay, you will cut its cost in half. Here's one that I use and it is $15 including shipping. No I am not selling this. This is the eBay guy I bought mine from.
    Everting I need and nothing I don't need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WENGER-SWISS-ARM...ayphotohosting

WENGER SWISS ARMY KNIFE: TETON MODEL, NIB

2.5" 100% Serrated large blade
    1.65" Clip point utility blade
    2.4" Springless scissors with serrated, self-sharpening design
    Phillips head screwdriver
    Can opener
    Patented locking screwdriver, cap lifter and wire stripper
    Reamer, awl
    Toothpick
    Tweezers
    Key ring
    Actual Size: 3.25"
    Weight: 2.6 oz
    Limited lifetime warranty
    Made in Switzerland

I carry a lightweight Gerber knife with a 3" blade. I use it often. The most important thing is to keep the blade sharp. Sharpening stones are available in most trail towns. Swiss army gadgets can be borrowed from other hikers. A Leatherman is more usefull than a Swiss Army Knife.
    12 Years, 1100+ Miles

Why carry a knife? To cut cheese, shoe laces, bandages, summer sausage, lever out a battery, trim a pack strap, open a package, remove a bee stinger, make a stove, entertain your sheltermates with a convincing performance from "Chinatown."

Why not carry a knife? 'Cause it's lighter than carrying a knife.

Your choice, of course. But don't plan on asking other people for their knives when you decide you need one.

'Cause then you're just one of those annoying people who go light by having other people carry the gear.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I usually carry a knife and use one almost daily, more often non-hiking than when hiking. If you’re planning to Live outdoors, however, a knife can become a fairly essential tool.

A folding knife is convenient to carry in a pocket, but a substantial pocket knife weighs more, and is less durable, than a sheath knife.

I love the all-purpose design of Swiss Army Knives. Their close fit and fine finish are very impressive, especially given their price. They are, however, made of relatively soft steel; they dull relatively quickly, but sharpen readily. Do you carry a knife sharpener? If the only uses you can think of for a knife are opening your bounce box, cutting cheese, and cleaning your nails, the Swiss Army Knife will serve those purposes well and continue to look great.

If you consider a knife part of an emergency / survival kit, when you actually use the knife, you will probably come to value getting the work done quickly, without using a lot of energy, and without injuring yourself. You will be better served with a sturdy and sharp blade (good steel and temper) of some significant length.

The hiker who cut off his own arm in Utah - not that any of us plan to ever do that, nor that he ever planned to do that - wasn’t dissuaded from backpacking again by his self-amputation, but he volunteered he would never again carry a multi-purpose knife.

If you can’t foresee many uses for a knife, nor conceive trying circumstances where innumerable uses for a knife become apparent, feel free to carry a toy.

If you think you may actually need a knife, carry a knife.
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Images

Thanks for the input evryone. I ordered a Mora knife. I think it's the 3 7/8 inch version with the wodden handle.

Images

Too late to matter in this discussion, but I carry a very small Gerber with a 1" blade. I keep it clipped in the top of my pack--where keys are supposed to go, I guess. It weighs very little and has been all the blade I've ever needed on the trail.

Images

For those that prefer a fixed blade, but want to go as light as possible, consider the Joyce Chen 'handy Little Knife'.

Weighs an ounce.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    For those that prefer a fixed blade, but want to go as light as possible, consider the Joyce Chen 'handy Little Knife'.

Weighs an ounce.
    Nice looking blade. Any idea about its self-dulling propensities? low-carbon stainless tends to do that, high-carbon not so much.

i second the joyce chen knife, i have one for the house, van, and i might consider to take it on short trips!
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vi+ View Post
    The hiker who cut off his own arm in Utah - not that any of us plan to ever do that, nor that he ever planned to do that -

...he also did a really stupid manuver in the canyons that other experienced canyoneers frown upon.

Backcountry knowledge and knowing how to apply it is much less weight than any piece of equipment.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I can't think of a reason to NOT carry a knife. Too many positives for the tiny bit of added weight! Plus, after 30+ years of having a knife in my pocket, I think I'd walk funny without it. SAG makes some great knives, but I adore my Gerber Shortcut!

My bushmaster has animal snares, med-kit, gutting tool, fire starters, an anchor clip and hooks/fishing line.

I tend to walk a little further off the trail then most folks though.

... plus my hatchet and multi-tool ...

Just think about the part in Crocodile Dundee where he runs into the pimps, reaches back, and his knife is gone. THAT is my reason for carrying a knife, all the pimps. And on the AT you won't have a limo driver to save your but.

I always carry a knife and feel pretty naked without one.

I agree with the sentiment that there is no such thing as too much knife. There may be a valid sentiment that such and such a knife is more than you want to carry, but, when you need a tough knife, you need a tough knife and a keychain nail-picker ain't gonna cut it.

I've destroyed more pocket knives than most people will ever own, admittedly pushing them FAR beyond their design parameters, but it's pretty amazing how little punishment some things won't take. Pretty much ANY of those cheap "free" swiss army style knives (be they large or small) will fail spectacularly if put up to fairly simple "emergency" use tasks and their edges fail VERY quickly in use, often with a large (relatively) chunk of steel flaking off the edge, rendering it useless without a major re-grind, and even then, the heat-treat is usually so poor that the work is wasted anyhow.

That's not saying that an inexpensive knife isn't useful. Cold Steel sells a line of small neck knives like the Ready Edge and Super Edge that can handle serious cutting duties without breaking the bank (under 20.00 each) and they weight practically nothing (under an ounce).

For multi-tools and such, buy a brand name like Leatherman, Gerber, Victorinox, Wenger, Buck, SOG, etc. I prefer something with a substantial pair of scissors. My Swiss Army Knife (Victorinox) is a sensible size with a 2+ inch main blade, a smaller blade, the usual scissors and screwdrivers and can openers, a sawblade and a file. I've used every single tool on there on the trail, and more than once. Of course even a Swiss Army Knife of good manufacture is NOT going to hold up to some of the uses I have put knives to and consider emergency use, but they do a lot better than the keychain knives do...a lot better.

Whatever knife you choose to carry, be it small or large, make sure you have a tool to sharpen it with and the knowledge to do so efficiently and effectively. When forced to make do with a small knife you will wear that edge out REAL fast, and having the ability to get a good edge on it again quick can make a huge difference...as will the ability to improvise other tools as needed. flint knapping is a valuable skill in this regard, allowing you to make functional cutting and chopping tools out of stone, using other stones and bits of wood, bone or antler.

Speaking of flint. I watched a re-enactor kindle a fire in probably about the same time as it would take to light it with a match, using flint and steel and char cloth. She took a piece of char cloth and placed it on a piece of leather. The flint was then placed over lapping the edge of the char cloth, and the leather was wrapped over the whole leaving most of the char cloth and the striking edge of the flint exposed. She then struck the flint with the steel once, popping a spark off into the charcloth. She then blew gently on the charcloth to keep the ember glowing and added it to a handful of rope fibers. She blew it gently into flame, tucked the bundle under a tepee of kindling and there was a fire.

The secret is the char cloth. Char cloth is simply a square of linen or cotten cloth that has been cooked in a metal can (not exposed directly to flame and starved of oxygen by putting on a lid). The cloth turns black and is moistureless. All it takes is one spark to set it to burning like a coal, then add some dried and fibrous matter for kindling and you've got a fire. I'm going to make a batch soon and experiment.

A couple extra ounces in a sturdy and functional knife will never serve you wrong.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95 View Post
    ... The secret is the char cloth. Char cloth is simply a square of linen or cotten cloth that has been cooked in a metal can (not exposed directly to flame and starved of oxygen by putting on a lid). The cloth turns black and is moistureless. All it takes is one spark to set it to burning like a coal, then add some dried and fibrous matter for kindling and you've got a fire. I'm going to make a batch soon and experiment.
    Take 10 cotton balls and rub petroleum jelly all over them and through them, then pack them into a chapstick container. It will light under a spark and burn for 4-5 minutes. Best emergency fire starter you can make.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino-lfl View Post
    Take 10 cotton balls and rub petroleum jelly all over them and through them, then pack them into a chapstick container. It will light under a spark and burn for 4-5 minutes. Best emergency fire starter you can make.
    What about lint from the dryer?

A good knife is like a good wife.
    She's always there when you need her;
    She's always got the edge;
    You rant about not having enough
    But she's always there and tough
    And keeps you from going off the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    What about lint from the dryer?
    Lint, by itself, needs more than a spark to ignite it. Load it up with petroleum jelly and perhaps. Denatured alcohol soaked lint will not ignite with a spark. I'm not even certain I have petroleum jelly to test that method.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino-lfl View Post
    Not if it's a fire retardant.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++