WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Images

Default 2008 Thru-Hike Registry

Hey everyone. I figured i would strt this early. It takes alot of time and preparation for a thru-hike and knowing who is going when you are can really be of comfort to some people. I am 20 years old (will be 21 when i leave) I plan on leave March 2008 and i live in nj. I will be doing day hikes often to work up to my thru-hike. if anyone would like to join me and lives in the northenr nj area please feel free to contact me. otherwise to all interested in attempting a 2008 hike, feel free to register. Im looking forwards to seeing bunches of you on the trail

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, GOOD LUCK all 08ers!!! Between this thread and the one already started, I guess I'll start working on the 'Class of 2008' list.

Trail Name
    Direction
    Start Date (if you change it please update via a reply)
    Approach Trail
    any additional info that you want the world to know

See you on the trail (next year),
    mt squid

Images

Cannibal
    Nobo
    March 12th(ish)
    Visitor's center

Darn glad to be here; can't wait to meet you all!

Images

No trail name yet
    NOBO
    Start date either last two weeks of March or first week of April. Depends on when I feel like starting. (Decision will probably be made a couple days before I leave.)
    Doing Approach Trail

Whykickamoocow
    Nobo
    Mid march
    Doing approach trail

Im going to fly into Atlanta from Australia, probably stay the first night in a hotel near the airport. The following day go to a nearby REI outlet and pick up some of my gear, rather than paying for shipping to Australia then bringing it back out on the plane (hiking equipment is so much cheaper in the US). Then head off to the Hikers Hostel and stay a night. Next day on with the hike.

Zeke
    NOBO
    April 1, 2008
    Doing the approach trail

Been dreaming bout this trip, obsessing about this trip, for 10 years. My co-workers have been so patient, watching me set up gear in the office when it arrives in the mail. I stood outside in a down pour testing Frogg Toggs. When I'm working, I'm planning my trip. When I'm sleeping, I'm planning my trip. It has consumed my life. Can't wait.
    Zeke

Zeke, I definitely know how you feel, it is becoming a great obsession of mine that is for sure. Looking for great deals on equipment, comparing ounces between different products, investigating different gear combinations and options. It has got a hold of me, appalachian trail fever. I can't seem to have a conversation without mentioning something about the trail to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by KRYSS1022 View Post
    Hey everyone. I figured i would strt this early. It takes alot of time and preparation for a thru-hike and knowing who is going when you are can really be of comfort to some people. I am 20 years old (will be 21 when i leave) I plan on leave March 2008 and i live in nj. I will be doing day hikes often to work up to my thru-hike. if anyone would like to join me and lives in the northenr nj area please feel free to contact me. otherwise to all interested in attempting a 2008 hike, feel free to register. Im looking forwards to seeing bunches of you on the trail
    Name: Johnny
    Trail Name: TBD
    Northbound on (or around) April 10th
    Will decide on starting point at Hiker Hostel to make things easier for all involved.
    Currently in Philly...actually, I'm currently in my Incredible-Shrinking Office.

Krys,

I graduated from Ridgewood Highschool and it is good to see another New Yorker (by proxy) hitting the trail next year. Hope to meet you out there. Side note: hiker buddy jokes with me that first hill NOBO out of the NY 17 parking lot is cakewalk by July. It had always beat us up on our Sunday morning/post bar jaunts. Good talk, see you out there.

All,

I cannot fully express the unbriddled excitement coursing through my every waking thought. Somehow, it seems that you all know exactly what I am talking about. Good luck at all in preparation and executing this dream. Those in Philly should consider looking me up for a run/hike in the Mighty Wissahick.

Johnny

Name: TBD
    NOBO
    End of March or first part of April
    No Approach

I'll be burning up the trail. I have 4 months to complete my hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    Name: Johnny
    Somehow, it seems that you all know exactly what I am talking about.
    Johnny
    That is the coolest thing about this site! Everybody else is sick to death of my hiking obsession; it's nice to know I'm not alone.

My wife told me she didn't want to hear about the trail for the next year. I just save all my conversations up when Iam at a get together with friends. Then my wife over hears my conversation and says I didnt' know that....you never told me ..... etc.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

Default mega

Trail Name = freleo
    Direction = southbound
    Start Date = circa may 18,2008

cheers
    jch

Trailfoot,
    Ditto, We must of married sisters . My wife is sick of me talkin trail for 2008.
    gdeup

:banana Gdeup

I'm flipfloping .Going NOBO ,first and SOBO 2nd from HarpersFerry.
    I'll be retired by then . I want to enjoy the Nature and take my time . Been plannin for 10+ yrs. Can't wait, Hope to see everyone of you somewhere on the AT trail.
    gdeup

Trusty
    NOBO
    Mid-March, or so, depending upon how the spring weather is looking.
    I really liked starting from the Lodge last time, so will probably do that again. It's a nice "send-off" location for any friends or family that end up going to the start with me. If I'm by myself I might just stay with Josh and Leigh and start from FS42.

This will be my second attempt at the thru...the '06 hike ended a bit early, and rather painfully. Hopefully there will be no broken ankles in '08.

Images

Hopefully i'll be attempting a thru in late March / Early April of next year. (08)

Images

No Trail Name
    NOBO
    14 FEB 08 (ish?)
    Doing the approach trail

Currently don't have a career/house/kids, etc., seems like the perfect time to do it. Starting early mainly so I can enjoy the solitude, but I do hope to meet some of y'all out there.

Trail Name: Skittles or Skits
    NOBO
    Feb. 12 or so (only 279? days away!)
    Doing the approach trail (I skipped it last time)

My parents and sister were hoping that I had gotten the bug out of my system after my last thru hike. But no such luck. I dream of the trail more than ever. My friend Mountain Goat (AT '04) wrote me this when I told him of my latest plans: "You've obviously got the bug bad, and I know the symptoms: everyday life is just a necessary evil of work-and-save, interspersed with a lot of daydreaming and research" It couldn't be more true.

Mammoth
    NOBO
    Starting March 5
    Approach Trail, even if it takes me three days.

I'm a midwesterner through-and-through, I've never even been east of the Mississippi River, so this trip is going to be new terrain for me. This is my graduation present to myself, so I'm going to take it really slow and try to have a great time instead of focusing on miles. I'll be happy to meet you all.

formerly amazonwoman

amazonwoman (open to something new)
    SOBO
    Starting June 14th

I am totally committed to this. Nothing will stop me this time!!!

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++