WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: I start Sunday!

:banana I start Sunday!

Im starting at Harpers Ferry on Sunday and going north. Sent out the first resupply box earlier and the flat rate priority mail makes things so easy. Just cram everything in there and send it off.

I got the pack together and its around 25lbs with 5 days worth of food. As long as it stays under 30 I will be happy. The last thing to consider is the best way to carry money, debit card, license, etc. What are some of your tips on this subject? I have a small waist band deal but its cotton and I forsee chafing as its for a tourist.

I am a child of this board, meaning I learned alot of things from here and I hope to make you all proud. Check 2000togo.com to see my progress throughout the summer.

Images

Have a great hike, Blackmath!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Congrats Blackmath! You have a great journey ahead of you. I carried my debit card, license ect... in a ziplock bag, usually with my small journal. I recommend keeping it readily available..maybe in the top of your pack for when your hiking near towns. It's no fun to be searching through your pack when you want that hamburger.
    Safe journeys!
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

http://www.trailjournals.com/shadesofblue

Get yourself a quart-sized ziplock and toss your ID and whatnot in there. Put it in your sock when you go to town. Done.

I still carry my stuff in a ziplock about half the time, and it's going on 7 years since my thru-hike! Always a conversation starter, and it brings back good memories.

Images

Congrats on starting your hike, I start mine within two weeks. Are you going all the way or just out for a long section? I'm doing six or so weeks but starting in southern VA. The anticipation is killing me. CAN'T WAIT! Best of luck to you.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I have just went from feelings of great joy (due to it being friday), straight to jealousy.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

++ New Posts ++