WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Alcohol spillage

I just got back from a short day hike. I had some alcohol spillage. I was storing it in a 20 ounce plastic soda bottle. And I put the bottle inside a galon sized ziplock bag.

What are you guys doing to prevent alcohol spillage

thanks,

funbun

P.S. I love my new Cat Stove.

knick knack patty whack

a one liter platypus works fine for me - no extra baggie needed. talkin bout scotch, right?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by applejack View Post
    a one liter platypus works fine for me - no extra baggie needed. talkin bout scotch, right?
    na, homebrew . . .

Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post

. . .What are you guys doing to prevent alcohol spillage
    Drink it before it has a chance to spill.

Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    I just got back from a short day hike. I had some alcohol spillage. I was storing it in a 20 ounce plastic soda bottle. And I put the bottle inside a galon sized ziplock bag.

What are you guys doing to prevent alcohol spillage

thanks,

funbun

P.S. I love my new Cat Stove.
    I'm not having that problem, but I carry the fuel in a side pocket just- in- case and don't bag it. Maybe check that neither the cap nor bottle- rim are uneven, and don't have nicks or scratches; maybe change bottles anyway. Leave some airspace at the top, pack the bottle upright, avoid bumps and pressure on the bottle. I don't have much gear that would suffer from a splash of alcohol. Small spillages would evaporate pretty quickly.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...4&PRODID=59736

Soda or water bottles will eventually leak.

I bought some generic brand of "Heat" at the gas station once and I was in such a hury to get back on the trail that I didnt put it in my soda bottle and the whole bottle emptied in my pack It disolved all of the sil in the nylon of my pack, tarp, and all my stuff sacks. not to mention ruined all my food and my sleeping bag has never lofted like it used to after that. the problem was this brand of gas-line antifreeze didn't have the litle foil seal like heat has. leson learned: alwas put it in a soda bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    I bought some generic brand of "Heat" at the gas station once and I was in such a hury to get back on the trail that I didnt put it in my soda bottle and the whole bottle emptied in my pack It disolved all of the sil in the nylon of my pack, tarp, and all my stuff sacks. not to mention ruined all my food and my sleeping bag has never lofted like it used to after that. the problem was this brand of gas-line antifreeze didn't have the litle foil seal like heat has. leson learned: alwas put it in a soda bottle
    Sorry about your misadventure, but thanks for letting us know that sil- nylon is wrecked by those kinds of solvents. I like this fabric, but it's relatively new to me and I'm still in the learning curve; that's helpful information.

Hey Funbun, I may be over doing it... But I keep my stove fuel in an MSR fuel bottle. No problems. Peace Dude! Ritz.
    Any day above ground is a good one!

Alcohol is what you use to thin the silicone when seam-sealing a silnylon tarptent.

Not only can you ruin your equipment, you can find yourself without fuel. Soda bottles can leak at the lid and develop creases.

Quote Originally Posted by ritzhenson View Post
    Hey Funbun, I may be over doing it... But I keep my stove fuel in an MSR fuel bottle. No problems. Peace Dude! Ritz.
    Those things weigh almost as much as a week's worth of alcohol. A Nalgene such as I linked to above is lighter and almost as secure.

Images

I use the Trangia fuel bottle for my alcohol. I have never had a leak and it is light as well. and makes pouring so easy.

http://www.thru-hiker.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TR103
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Default Nice dispenser

Brasslite has one that measures and dispenses..http://www.brasslite.com/products.html

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Alcohol is what you use to thin the silicone when seam-sealing a silnylon tarptent.
    Actually alcohol is not the best choice for thinning silicone when seam sealing silnylon - low odor mineral spirits does a much better job - the reason is that the silcone cures in response to water and it is next to impossible to have alcohol without some amount of water also in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    Actually alcohol is not the best choice for thinning silicone when seam sealing silnylon - low odor mineral spirits does a much better job - the reason is that the silcone cures in response to water and it is next to impossible to have alcohol without some amount of water also in the mix.
    Sorry, only ever did it once.

All those fancy bottles are heavy and expensive. With a Nalgene screwtop, it costs less than $2, is lighter, and you can see exactly how much fuel you have. You can also afford to have different sizes for weekend trips and one-week trips to reduce volume and weight.

++ New Posts ++