WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Watches

Coonass from Down South jazilla's Avatar
    Images

Default Watches

I am looking for a watch/compass/thermometer combo. And recommendations
    "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

If you are not in a hurry, keep an eye on SAC. I got a watch, compass, thermometer, altemiter, barometer for around $70 a couple months ago.

I've been pleased with my Suunto (Advizor) ... accurate & reliable thus far ... a hiking bud has a Timex model that's died once and been replaced under warranty.

My decision to purchase a Suunto was largely based on a comprehensive article in some publication a year or two ago that clearly put Suunto at the top of the list ... compared to the various brands available at that time.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Some good ones out there and like others have said ...watch for the sales.

Only comment I will make is in regard to the thermometer feature on most of the models. The sensor is located pretty close to, and in some cases right up against, the skin so the reading is not accurate (high) when being worn.

Other than that they're great, once you get the hang of setting the reference elevation for the barometric altimeter. I've had one of the Suunto Vector for several years now and really like it.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Some good ones out there and like others have said ...watch for the sales.

Only comment I will make is in regard to the thermometer feature on most of the models. The sensor is located pretty close to, and in some cases right up against, the skin so the reading is not accurate (high) when being worn.

Other than that they're great, once you get the hang of setting the reference elevation for the barometric altimeter. I've had one of the Suunto Vector for several years now and really like it.

'Slogger
    Good point on the thermometer. I hike with it attached to my pack. At night it goes on the ridgeline of my hammock.

Images

I've got two Suunto Vectors (don't ask ) and I've been very happy with them.

OK, I'll confess -- If you choose to go after one on ebay, ask the seller if the watch functions in standard or metric. It may not be such a steal after all if you're not good with conversions.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
    I've got two Suunto Vectors (don't ask ) and I've been very happy with them.

OK, I'll confess -- If you choose to go after one on ebay, ask the seller if the watch functions in standard or metric. It may not be such a steal after all if you're not good with conversions.

Interesting comment ..... mine has settings for both. Is that unique to certain models? Just curious ........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SloHiker View Post
    Interesting comment ..... mine has settings for both. Is that unique to certain models? Just curious ........

Now I'm curious! It was set to metric and I never took the time to read every page of the BOOK than accompanied it cleverly referred to as an "Instruction Manual". If you can tell me how to switch it, I'd be very, very grateful.

Now I'm curious! It was set to metric and I never took the time to read every page of the BOOK than accompanied it cleverly referred to as an "Instruction Manual". If you can tell me how to switch it, I'd be very, very grateful.

You mean the 100+ page - 13+ languages "Operating Manual" !! - yep, I know what you're talking about .... try this:

1.5 MEASUREMENTS AND UNITS
    The Wristop Computer supplies two units of measure: metric or imperial.
    Metric Unit of Measure Imperial Unit of Measure
    m ft
    m/min ft/min
    °C °F
    mbar inHg
    1.5.1 Selecting the Units of Measurement
    To change the unit of measure displayed:
    1. Check the mode indicator. If the mode arrow is not on TIME, PRESS the [Mode] button until the arrow is
    directly below TIME on the Mode Indicator Bar.
    2. PRESS the [Mode] and [Select] buttons simultaneously and hold in for 3 seconds. Field 1 will display .SET.
    momentarily and then display .UNI. (Fig. 43).
    Note: If the user does not press any button for 1 minute in the setup mode, the display will automatically exit
    setup.
    WARNING: If the user presses the [Select] button (and does not hold for 2 seconds) while in the .UNI. setting
    mode, the user will be in the Pressure Sensor Calibration. Refer to the next section for details.
    3. PRESS the [Select] button and hold in for 2 seconds. Located to the right in Field 2, .m. or .ft. will begin to
    flash.
    4. PRESS the [+] button to toggle between .m. and .ft..
    5. At the unit of measure desired, PRESS the [Select] button to move to the next unit. Located below the .m. or
    .ft. in Field 2, .mbar. or .inHg. will begin to flash.
    6. PRESS the [+] button to toggle between .mbar. and .inHg..
    7. At the unit of measure desired, PRESS the [Select] button to move to the next unit. Located at the top right
    in Field 1 (just above the bubble), °C or °F will begin to flash.
    8. PRESS the [+] button to toggle between °C and °F.
    9. At the unit of measure desired, PRESS the [Select] button to move to the next unit. Located at the top
    center in Field 1, .m/min. or .ft/min. will begin to flash.
    10 PRESS the [+] button to toggle between .m/min. and .ft/min..
    11 At the unit of measure desired, PRESS the [Mode] button to accept the changes. PRESS the [Mode] button
    again to return to the main time mode.

Selecting the units of measurement is complete.

Ya might wanna keep a copy of this handy for the next time you have to change batteries ..... you get to reset all the functions once again.
    Hope this helps ......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SloHiker View Post
    Ya might wanna keep a copy of this handy for the next time you have to change batteries ..... you get to reset all the functions once again.
    Hope this helps ......

SWEET! Thanks a million. Now I have two that I can actually use. One black and one yellow.

Images

Smile

SWEET! Thanks a million. Now I have two that I can actually use. One black and one yellow.
    Or you could just give me one...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Or you could just give me one...
    The yellow one would match the tarp I just finished
    "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Images

I have a Suunto Vector that I bought before I deployed. The bezel popped off while overseas and upon sending it back, it appeared to me that they sent me a new watch rather than repair the old. I especially like the new black face they have available.

HighGear TrailDrop.

a Thermonmeter on a watch doesn't work very good as it is next to your arm which is usually warmer than the outdoor temps. (you have to take it off for about 30 minutes to find out the true temperature and then it is too easy to lose)
    If you want a good digital compass, the Sunnto is good but does have to be reset every week or so to be entirely accurate. Of course you don't need too accurate of a compass on the AT. Maybe one of those little clip on compasses would be fine on any watch band.
    But if you want an altimeter, thermometer, digital compass, barometer, (altimeters on watches work from barometers) complete with graph that can be programmed for different times (important for a barometer but keep in mind it won't do anything for you while you are walking as altitude effects barametric pressure of course) along with stop watch, alarms, altitude alarms, etc. the Sunnto is probably the best.
    Anyway, the Sunnto (vector is the one i use but they are all good) is reliable and the battery usually lasts about 3 years on mine. The digital compass does eat batteries faster than the other features if you use it a lot. hope this helps. (it is a BIG ugly watch though)

Images

Has anyone tried the watches by casio. I am looking at a Casio Pathfinder PAW 12-3V. It looks cool and it never needs a battery change.

I have a Highgear which I've had for about 7 months, it has already needed a new battery and is not very accurate. I just purchased a Casio PAW and I'm very impressed so far but have only had it for about 2 weeks

I have (had) a Highgear Trail Drop also. Very dissatisfied with it. The battery always needed replacement, not as accurate as I would like it to be. I did like the design however. Biner clip to put on your pack so it kept the thermometer away from the heat of your body. I'm looking for a similar biner design and haven't found one yet.

Images

I used to think I wanted one of those watches that told you everything but on this past summer's section I couldn't keep track of the day or date. So now I've decided that all I really want is a watch that tells time, has an alarm, and tells the date and time. A lighted face would be nice but that's not a nesseccity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++