WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I sleep with my knife beside me. If I hear someone sneaking around my tent in the middle of the night, they are probably up to no good. I will do what it takes to defend myself. Someone taking your pack in the middle of the woods is attempted murder. You need the food and supplies in them. If someone sneaks in my tent in the middle of the night, they get stabbed, no questions asked. It is the same as a burglar breaking in your house.

Images

Trailbender, that's kind of a weird thing to say. Someone around your tent at night, comes in, stabbed, no questions asked? I mean, I understand self defense, but that sounds a little drastic...
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Yeah, that is a bit on the paranoid side of things. I'd be more worried about bears than people coming into your tent.

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    Yeah, that is a bit on the paranoid side of things. I'd be more worried about bears than people coming into your tent.
    and I suspect you would irritate the bear.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Trailbender, that's kind of a weird thing to say. Someone around your tent at night, comes in, stabbed, no questions asked? I mean, I understand self defense, but that sounds a little drastic...
    you're young. one day you'll get it

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Agree it's rare outside of TD. But each year it happens a few times and it's not always the fault of "negligent, lazy, or stupid" hikers.

It would help if places of business were not so pack-phobic, like when they force hikers to leave their packs outside their doors unattended while they shop, eat a meal, take a shower, etc. That's an invitation to looting.

I can see a business' side of it, especially when a large group of hikers shows up. They understandably don't want their other customers to be tripping over backpacking gear that hikers just leave anywhere they feel like it, especially inside a crowded entrance area. So, it might be an idea worth exploring for them to designate a place--inside, probably--where packs could be stored temporarily out of view and reach of others.

If you walk into a retail establishment carrying a bag from another store, often you will be asked to leave that bag with the office, a cashier, etc. Presumably, this is to cut down on shoplifting. Why couldn't the same arrangement be made for backpacks and other gear, instead of simply telling hikers to keep it outside?

Most of the commercial facilities (restaurants, stores, etc.) in SNP will not permit packs inside. They make hikers leave their gear right outside on a sidewalk for anyone who comes along to do what they want with it. These sidewalks are like 30 seconds away from where vehicles can park. It's amazing few incidents have happened at these establishments. There are nearly identical situations in many trail towns--right on the main drag.
    Howdy, If the store says no packs and they want to get testy about it ask to speak to the manager and inform them that if they don't want your business you will shop elsewhere! Just fyi I worked four years at Walt Disney World as security and loss prevention; if it is out of your sight and has value to you that is negligence.

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Agree it's rare outside of TD. But each year it happens a few times and it's not always the fault of "negligent, lazy, or stupid" hikers.

It would help if places of business were not so pack-phobic, like when they force hikers to leave their packs outside their doors unattended while they shop, eat a meal, take a shower, etc. That's an invitation to looting.

I can see a business' side of it, especially when a large group of hikers shows up. They understandably don't want their other customers to be tripping over backpacking gear that hikers just leave anywhere they feel like it, especially inside a crowded entrance area. So, it might be an idea worth exploring for them to designate a place--inside, probably--where packs could be stored temporarily out of view and reach of others.

If you walk into a retail establishment carrying a bag from another store, often you will be asked to leave that bag with the office, a cashier, etc. Presumably, this is to cut down on shoplifting. Why couldn't the same arrangement be made for backpacks and other gear, instead of simply telling hikers to keep it outside?

Most of the commercial facilities (restaurants, stores, etc.) in SNP will not permit packs inside. They make hikers leave their gear right outside on a sidewalk for anyone who comes along to do what they want with it. These sidewalks are like 30 seconds away from where vehicles can park. It's amazing few incidents have happened at these establishments. There are nearly identical situations in many trail towns--right on the main drag.

I understand and truly empathize with your sentiment. It is however rather naive to even begin to imagine that some of the small groceries in some of these trail towns have the time or storage space which would be required to deal with some hiker influxes. Even ten hikers needing packs stored a day would require several interruptions of business not to mention people that don't hike being forced to deal with your stench.
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Like I learned in the Marine Corps, I take the same perspective to my pack as I did my M16. " I will never leave my weapon farther than an arm's reach." Now obviously I hang my pack at night, and food to the bear cables. That's where my infamous Fox5.3 Mace or .45 handgun (if legal on trip) would come into play.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Most stores/restaurants don't want packs in there for any number of reasons:

*The worry about stuff getting knocked down/damaged by folks wearing big
    backpacks. Don't laugh, this happens more than you think, especially in
    small stores.

*They don't have a good place for people to leave packs and they don't want
    to be liable or responsible for stuff people leave. And they have a point: If
    a store or resteaurant employee says "leave your stuff in the vestibule" or
    wherever, the implication is that it's safe there and the business is ultimately
    resonsible for it, and this is an obligation many folks don't want to take on.

*Backpacks smell like rendered cats, and other than Outfitters, many places,
    especially restaurants, don't wanna deal with them, for good reason.

Hikers are ultimately responsible for their own stuff. Keep wallets, ID's, cameras, phones, other high-end stuff on your persons at all times. If you leave your pack anywhere, do it wisely and judiciously; don't do it for long, and always, be aware that you do it at your own risk.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php...=specification

Might be a bit heavy for many at 1lb 3oz, but I know several people who have used this while backpacking in Europe to prevent thefts of opportunity.
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by makoboy View Post
    http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php...=specification

Might be a bit heavy for many at 1lb 3oz, but I know several people who have used this while backpacking in Europe to prevent thefts of opportunity.
    that is pretty cool. like you said, just a little heavy
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I sleep with my knife beside me. If I hear someone sneaking around my tent in the middle of the night, they are probably up to no good. I will do what it takes to defend myself. Someone taking your pack in the middle of the woods is attempted murder. You need the food and supplies in them. If someone sneaks in my tent in the middle of the night, they get stabbed, no questions asked. It is the same as a burglar breaking in your house.
    I don't think that's drastic at all. American citizens have every right to defend themselves at home and home for some people is a tent. The rules don't change depending on your type of housing. In the time it takes you to ask an intruder what their intentions are, they could kill you. But maybe they just wanna rob you and have no intention of killing you. How do you know? Again, in the time it takes you to ask them, they could kill you. If you don't mind that, then that's your choice. But even the most liberal American will probably want to kill (in self defense) than be killed.

You just don't know.

my shepard takes care of my pack, I don't stay in town and I also would use a knife without asking . You come pass my personal zone I protect myself. I've only had to use a knife 3 times and never on a trail.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wacocelt View Post
    I understand and truly empathize with your sentiment. It is however rather naive to even begin to imagine that some of the small groceries in some of these trail towns have the time or storage space which would be required to deal with some hiker influxes. Even ten hikers needing packs stored a day would require several interruptions of business not to mention people that don't hike being forced to deal with your stench.

As a hypothetical business owner, I'm thinking I could go either way on this. Like most things in life, "it depends...".

If I had the room, away from the public, I wouldn't mind if hikers asked me to store their packs. It would be a good idea if I had some kind of two-part ticket to give them (one part for me, one part for them)—to present to reclaim their pack like you get at a restaurant's coat-check area or in stores where they make you leave your packages to diminish shoplifting.

I would certainly expect the hiker(s) to be patient and let me deal with other paying customers before I dealt with their packs. Yes, this may be a bit much to ask from a few of today's "entitled" hikers, but they would quickly get the message.

However, if my hypothetical business did not have the room, it's easy to see the other side of this debate. A business does not want or need hikers' backpacking gear out where it can be tripped over or stolen on its watch.

Wearing a huge pack while walking around in a commercial establishment? The right thing to do would be to take the pack off near the entrance, out of the way of foot traffic, and then go ask about storage.

Usually, there's a middle ground and so I would ask businesses that are near the Trail to try to find it. If they cannot, then it's up to hikers to live with the alternatives.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The only establishment that has allowed me to bring a pack inside was Cabela's in Hamburg. They checked my pack at the customer service desk while I shopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    Simmer down there Sparky. Stealing a pack along the A.T. is not murder, attempted or otherwise. You do know that you are generally no more than 10 miles away from a town anywhere along the trail right? I could hike that on an overcast night with no headlamp. (even easier without a pack) Also people have been known to get up in the night and then, half asleep, return to the wrong tent. It would be a shame to see you go to jail over killing an innocent hiker just because you're paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    Simmer down there Sparky. Stealing a pack along the A.T. is not murder, attempted or otherwise. You do know that you are generally no more than 10 miles away from a town anywhere along the trail right? I could hike that on an overcast night with no headlamp. (even easier without a pack) Also people have been known to get up in the night and then, half asleep, return to the wrong tent. It would be a shame to see you go to jail over killing an innocent hiker just because you're paranoid.
    Once again, in the time it takes for you to find out the intentions of someone who is invading your personal space, they could kill you. Question is: do you potentially allow that to happen? Or protect yourself?

This thread has jumped the shark.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not really - I had a gang in New York steal stuff in the middle of the night.... Long time ago.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    The only establishment that has allowed me to bring a pack inside was Cabela's in Hamburg. They checked my pack at the customer service desk while I shopped.

A super market in Luray, west of SNP, has allowed hikers I shuttled there to do the same. Their packs were stored in the somewhat crowded customer service kiosk near the entrance.

An outfitter in Waynesboro, and a diner in Glasgow--ditto. (And honestly, the diner didn't have much room to spare!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++