WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Costco Emergency Food?

I was in Costco today and saw these 5 gallon plastic "Emergency Food" buckets, purportedly containing 275 "servings" of about 8 different add-hot-water preparations for $99 (or $99.99 or whatever). Estimated shelf life: 20 years. Alternative suggested uses, of course, include camping and hiking.

I didn't get a chance to really look at the item, but I wondered if anyone had taken the leap and tried this stuff.

If so, how edible/inedible is it? Is this just meant for survivalists and the like?
    (Translation: "Considering that life as we know it has ended, this soup isn't too bad.")

There is a on going case against Costco. The suit states that it would only deliver 455 calories per day. Start on page 4 of this http://soundpolitics.com/PopeCostcoLawsuit.pdf
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Chache View Post
    There is a on going case against Costco. The suit states that it would only deliver 455 calories per day. Start on page 4 of this http://soundpolitics.com/PopeCostcoLawsuit.pdf
    I kind of gathered on my quick look that the "servings" would not translate well to actual meals, so that is not a huge surprise. I hadn't thought the serving size would be so far off as to justify a lawsuit, though. Wow.

So, the second question is: is the quality of the food such that a quicker-than-predicted starvation would be preferable to starving to death on a bucket of that stuff?

Third: I didn't think that even military MREs lasted 20 years?

The nutrition needed to sustain you, just sitting in a shelter a looooong time, isn't the same as the nutrition you need for, say, a thru-hike.

I can appreciate the dissatisfaction of someone opening the container and realizing they were looking forward to a serious, and involuntary, weight loss campaign. Perhaps Costco wasn't eager to refund the full purchase price for opened containers.

Any idea how these compare with standard hiker-type freeze-dried meals, regarding nutrition and shelf life?
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vi+ View Post
    Any idea how these compare with standard hiker-type freeze-dried meals, regarding nutrition and shelf life?
    Well, MountainHouse claims their cans of freeze dried stuff will last over 30 years if stored in a cool area. Each can gives you about 10 servings at an average of $25.00 a can, so it's a lot fewer servings for the money. Of course I know what MountainHouse stuff tastes like; Costco could be pretty nasty. Who wants to spend $100 to find out?

Images

Hmm, nutrition for MountainHouse looks marginally better per serving than Costco. Maybe it would be good as a supplement to your "real" food?

Quote Originally Posted by Brrrb Oregon View Post
    I kind of gathered on my quick look that the "servings" would not translate well to actual meals, so that is not a huge surprise. I hadn't thought the serving size would be so far off as to justify a lawsuit, though. Wow.

So, the second question is: is the quality of the food such that a quicker-than-predicted starvation would be preferable to starving to death on a bucket of that stuff?

Third: I didn't think that even military MREs lasted 20 years?
    That lawsuit is classic The whole area of Issaquah, Washington is a wealthy high growth area. I was laughing my rear off reading that transcript...but I have to say-I agree, that is highly misleading. If I was eating 500 calories a day I'd be looking like I was 17 in 3 months (ie...skinny and bony). If I could even move!

I'd say maybe it is a good deal, for the food. If it had good stuff in it, that is!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    Of course I know what MountainHouse stuff tastes like; Costco could be pretty nasty. Who wants to spend $100 to find out?
    Since Costco is one of the centers of the impulse-buy universe, I was hoping to find somebody here who already did.

Hey, it only takes one or two people. I got a tip on some great Costco hiking socks here.

I'm not sure one can properly discuss "nutrition" and "freeze dried hiker meals" in the same sentence or paragraph.

Shelf life, OTOH, is amazing. I've eaten Mountain House meals ten years after purchase.

Terrapin Too,

You advise (Post #9), “I've eaten Mountain House meals ten years after purchase.”

This brings another question: What happens to freeze-dried meals once they’re past their imaginary pull date?

Do you open it and see worms crawling around?

Do you vomit after eating it?

Do you eat them then realize they’re past their prime when you have no energy?

What happens?
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

This brings another question: What happens to freeze-dried meals once they’re past their imaginary pull date?
    Not sure. I don't know the advertised shelf life.

Not if the packagaing is still intact.

I never vomit. Weird. But the stuff I ate still tasted fine. It was all leftover stuff from a bulk purchase that I made for my attempted thru-hike in 1990. I finished the last of it around 2000, IIRC.

IMO, hot meals on the trail are are eaten at least as much for the psychological benefit as the nutritional benefit. Nutritionally, I suspect they're no better or worse than cold food. (And definitely worse than cold foods like fruit or nuts.) But there's a definite psychological/emotional boost from a hot meal at the end of a cold or wet day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    IMO, hot meals on the trail are are eaten at least as much for the psychological benefit as the nutritional benefit. Nutritionally, I suspect they're no better or worse than cold food. (And definitely worse than cold foods like fruit or nuts.) But there's a definite psychological/emotional boost from a hot meal at the end of a cold or wet day.
    Ray Jardine goes into a little calculation thing in his book in which he justifies carrying a stove and fuel. It's one of the MEGO passages for me, but I think his conclusion is that heat calories are useful calories, too, when it's cold outside and you need to warm your body. There are tangible, physical benefits as well as psychological ones.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Terrapin Too,

You advise (Post #9), “I've eaten Mountain House meals ten years after purchase.”

What happens?
    I suspect there gets to be a point where the food won't rehydrate to some specified degree any more or where the various components begin to decompose by gradual oxidation. If this is like anything else, though, the deterioration below some pre-determined level of quality is gradual and, at best, begins at some date more or less near the estimate.

If the pull date were ten years out from the date of manufacture, I wouldn't be astonished if the product was not usable after nine years, or just fine after 12 or even 15. The rates of decomposition reactions in the solid state depend on very small differences in the presence of moisture and oxidants.

I have been told that the military commissioned a study with regards to pharmaceuticals. With proper storage with regards to temperature and humidity, the liquid medications decomposed rather close to their pull dates, while the dry medications were good for as much as ten years beyond that.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

ages ago, in the early 50's in the Detroit suburbs:

We used to buy WWII c rations (I think they were C rations. I know they were single army mels in a can) from Silversteins Surplus and then go out in the woods and eat them. They were from WWII.

They had to be around 10 years old. they tasted like the canned food that they were. The two cigarettes included smoked just fine and started a 40 year habit. There was no sign of degeneration of spoilage.

I can only guess (opinion!!!!)the costco version would keep a similar time.

Expiration dates are computed by lawyers and scientists, not hungry people

If I had some and were hungry. I would eat.

Miles of smiles

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    There are tangible, physical benefits as well as psychological ones.
    I agree. I was primarily responding to Vi's last question about "having no energy" after eating an out-dated freeze-dried meal. In terms of pure heat calories a cup of tea or hot chocolate can do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    If I had some and were hungry. I would eat.
    But if you had $100 and any other choice in the world for dried food, would you ever buy? I suppose I might, if somebody who had tried it had a favorable enough experience to justify owning 275 packets of that stuff.

For $114.99, you can try it out. I think that anyone can order from the website. This includes shipping, but you probably have to pay state sales tax. Have to simmer for 20 min after adding to boiling water. Includes 45 servings of whey milk and 25 servings of blueberry pancakes.

Click Here to View

Looking at their ad, this is a nice way to get some folks to begin an emergency kit, including food, water supply, shelter and bedding. I would be very surprised if this is gourmet food, but simply food in small servings to assist survival during the aftermath of a disaster. There is no meat to it, leading me to expect a very long shelf life. I wonder if servings are in packets, or simply large canisters. It looks like it could assist a family or two until the Salvation Army got on site.

I use my backpack as a 4 day emergency kit, and encourage the same of my friends. A gear closet can equip a family fairly easily, sometimes an entire neighborhood - depending on the severity of gear addiction.

I purchased similar cans of freeze dried rations on eBay after the y2K folks figured out that the world didn't end. My adult children, even the one in NYC, are unwilling to take a can of freeze dried spaghetti.

Images

Options abound for bulk stuff. 400 calorie bars in lots of 150 don't appeal to me, but might in the right situation. Google survivalist, or bulk dried food.

10lbs of beans, and 10lbs of rice don't take up much space. In a diaper pail. Stash. Replace when desired. My mindset...(some fishhooks, and ammo, too.)

I'd say on the deal though, that if you wanted something like that, go instead to www.beprepared.com and order one of their kits. At least you know what you'd be getting!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++