WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Homemade Quilt Finished!

Well, I have been working on a quilt for a few days now and am now semi-finished. I have yet to finish the seams, add drawcords, velcro, etc.

Overall, I'm pleased with the project. If I had it to do over again, I would probably use 1.1 oz for the shell and possibly the liner as well. I used momentum.90 from thru-hiker this time and while it is nice, it probably isn't worth the extra money (maybe for the liner) and it doesn't save much weight.

I haven't measured for the final dimensions but I did weigh it. Right now, it weighs somewhere between 20 and 22 oz. It is stuffed with 12 oz. of down and lofts to over 3'' in most places.

DrewNC2005,

You advise:

“If I had it to do over again, I would probably use 1.1 oz for the shell and possibly the liner as well. I used momentum.90 from thru-hiker this time and while it is nice, it probably isn't worth the extra money (maybe for the liner) and it doesn't save much weight.”

I’m not familiar with Momentum.90 but I think I’ve read, here, one of its advantages is its improved breathability.

Unfortunately, for a comparison, you’ll have to make at least one more, in 1.1 oz nylon. How about making three more; liners and shells of one fabric, liners and shells of the other fabric, liner of one and shell of the other, and liner of the other and shell of one? This would, of course, all be for the sake of science.

“It is stuffed with 12 oz. of down and lofts to over 3'' in most places.”

What temperature is 3" loft rated?

Looks nice, the house too.

Please post again when you finish the quilt.
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

How small can you stuff it?
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

Chache,

Oh, gawd, I can’t believe you asked that question (Post #3), “How small can you stuff it?”

The standard retort is, “If it was up your a$$, you’d know.”
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chache View Post
    How small can you stuff it?
    I just put it inside of my XS Western Mountaineering stuff sack and it would not fill it up. Compressed further, it went down to 9'' x 7 1/2''.

Default RE: Temp Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Vi+ View Post
    What temperature is 3" loft rated?
    My estimate is that it should handle temperatures into the mid-high 20s. This is, of course, assuming that I can eliminate drafts, etc., in the footbox and along the sides. According to the chart on the JRB website, it should take me to 20. I think this is a little optimistic. I expect I won't have any trouble staying warm above 30. I only want it to keep me warm in mainly the spring/summer/early fall months. If it's hot, I won't cinch it up at the feet. If it's cold, I'll hunker down by cinching the (soon to come) footbox and the neck area. Then, I'll tighten down the straps I plan on sewing into the side seams (like the Nunatak quilts).

I'm also debating putting a head hole close to the center like the JRB No Sniveller. This would be so that I could wear it around camp if it were cold. Honestly though, I'm a little scared after all of the work that I've put into it thus far to go cutting a hole in it.

Here is the link to the JRB temp rating guide:

http://216.83.168.206/index_files/FAQ.htm

Images

Congrats on the quilt project! I made one from a thru-hiker kit 4 yrs ago, and it's one of the most useful pieces of gear I have. I used 13 oz of 800 fill down - it weighs, inside it's sil stuff sack, 23 ozs. I've used it in all seasons - twice have been on top of shining rock, with temps in the low teens and high winds, with it and a silk liner in my hammock, and stayed toasty (I did have on several layers of clothing and used several of the hand warmers at my feet). I agree with you - by itself, on the ground, you should be OK in the 20's. Enjoy!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

++ New Posts ++