WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sil Nylon Adhesive

I want to add a small hook to the underside of my Sil Nylon tarp capable of supporting a bug net and/or my rain jacket to be used as a partial wind-block.

Sewing is not an option as I would just be creating a series of small rain holes right above my head. What adhesive will work without damaging the material?

If you don't figure out a way to glue it you could try a tarp lock. They are on the heavier side though, I think about an ounce/ea.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

just seam seal the holes after you sew it on

if you don't like that idea then tie the hook to a button, put button where you want the hook and then from the other side of the silnylon tie a string around the button and tarp - roughly equivalent of adding a tie out to a tarp using a pebble only instead of a pebble you are using a button that you can tie the hook to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post

if you don't like that idea then tie the hook to a button, put button where you want the hook and then from the other side of the silnylon tie a string around the button and tarp - roughly equivalent of adding a tie out to a tarp using a pebble only instead of a pebble you are using a button that you can tie the hook to.
    That's a very good idea HOI. Or even a small hook with a small base that he could tie as you say. Push the base into the underside of the tarp and tie from above.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Or better, sew several buttons to the bug netting. Press the buttons to the underside of the trap, then tie on the overhead side.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post

Will the same 'ol seam seal I used on my Eureka work on this Sil Nylon stuff? Does it require a different product?

yes, different fabrick and treatments, unless the eureka is made out silnylon.
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    I want to add a small hook to the underside of my Sil Nylon tarp capable of supporting a bug net and/or my rain jacket to be used as a partial wind-block.

Sewing is not an option as I would just be creating a series of small rain holes right above my head. What adhesive will work without damaging the material?
    Clear silicone sealer. The sealer will stick well to the sil-nylon but it may not stick as well to the other material. I have been advised to thin the silicone with oderless mineral spirits and pre-soak the other material (and allow to cure) first and then glue in place on the Sil-Nylon using regular sealer.

Also, thinned silicone sealer is the best seam sealer. Urethane-based sealers will peel off.

These might work: http://www.shelter-systems.com/gripclips/index.html
    Similar concept to tying a coin/button but uses less fabric and probably holds up better under high tension. The above solutions are cheaper though.

Images

Does your tarp have a ridge seam? If so sewing in the seam should not do any damage. I have a ray-way tarp. Per his design, I have a clothes line that runs the entire length of the ridge. That is what I hook my net tent to.

Similarly a plastic soda bottle top, with the top of the bottle on the opposite side of the material will also work. Simply screw the cap on the top of the bottle with the material in between. You can cut loops on what remains of the bottle to hang string, hooks, 'biners, etc.

++ New Posts ++