WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default Man vs. Wild on the Discovery Channel

Has anyone else watch Man vs. Wild on the Discovery Channel? Its definitely more extreme than hiking the AT.

In each episode of Man vs. Wild, adventurer Bear Grylls strands himself in popular wilderness destinations where tourists often find themselves lost or in danger. Once there he finds his way back to civilization, demonstrating local survival techniques along the way.

I like this show. At first I thought it would be a bunch of staged tripe. Unexpectedly, the show appears as genuine as a TV show could be considering the subject. The information although not in-depth is very useful and definitely can save a lost person's life. And of course its very entertaining to see Bear Grylls eat a snake while it is alive or shoot the rapids on a class IV section of river while floating on a pile of logs. Great show check it out.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/ma...manvswild.html

Good show..entertaining

I believe some of it is staged. HIs clothes and body are much too clean at a time when they should be really dirty. And he does some really stupid things, IMO. Like climbing down the middle of a 100 foot water fall. Having said that, I like the show. I find some of the survival techniques interesting. Some of them I don't think I could ever try, like drinking water out of elephant dung.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

There is also a show called "Survivorman" on Discovery channel, which, IMO, has much more useful tips. Whereas Bear Grylls is somewhat of an elite athlete (British special forces, climbed Everest, yadda, yadda, yadda), Les Stroud is much more of an "everyman". Bear Grylls focuses more on GETTING OUT of the wilderness while Les Stroud focuses his attention on actually surviving until rescue. Both shows are interesting and fairly educational.

I like Les Stroud better. Man vs. Wild takes some stupid risks that I don't think anyone should take without a full crew and LOTS of experience. Stroud's show, Survivorman, is more realistic IMO...

Haha... Beat me to it...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    I like Les Stroud better. Man vs. Wild takes some stupid risks that I don't think anyone should take without a full crew and LOTS of experience. Stroud's show, Survivorman, is more realistic IMO...
    And Les films the episodes himself, with no crew. This means multiple trips to film segments, since he has to go back for the camera equipment. It is much more realistic and a better display of what should happen to someone caught in a survival situation.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I watch both, but another vote for Survivorman. I think when put into a survival situation you should refrain from doing things that could easily get you hurt. I think 60% of the stuff Man Vs Wild guy does falls into that. Still entertaining though.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    And Les films the episodes himself, with no crew. This means multiple trips to film segments, since he has to go back for the camera equipment. It is much more realistic and a better display of what should happen to someone caught in a survival situation.
    Yeah add in 50 lbs of camera gear and it changes a lot. Plus take away the security blanket of a crew with you.

Man vs. Wild is like a Crocodile Hunter version of Survivorman. Entertaining but seems contrived to me.

Lone Wolf picks pieces of Bear Grills out of his stool.

Sauntering vaugely southward ozt42's Avatar

I like the show but at least three times per episode I have to turn to my kids and say, "That was really stupid, If you ever do that you deserve to get your ass killed." like climbing up a waterfall, jumping into a river of unknown depth from a high cliff, scree sliding straight down a loose slope, paddling an aluminum boat into sea ice... the list goes on.

Images

Default man vs wild on the discovery channel

I like it better than survivor man,but their both pretty entertaining to me.ky

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Another vote for Survivorman...

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Discovered Bear Grills the other morning on a show (listed as a documentary) about six week training course for the foreign legion. He was one of the recruits. What gives?
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Which one was the guy that practiced throwing a stick at a tree stump a few times and then when out hunting rabits...and holy smokes! the guy nailed a rabbit and ate it!

If I cold get that good at throwing tree branches I would not have to hike in all of that dried oatmeal and Ramin noodles.

Quote Originally Posted by ozt42 View Post
    I like the show but at least three times per episode I have to turn to my kids and say, "That was really stupid, If you ever do that you deserve to get your ass killed." like climbing up a waterfall, jumping into a river of unknown depth from a high cliff, scree sliding straight down a loose slope, paddling an aluminum boat into sea ice... the list goes on.
    Those types of mistakes are what make the show so entertaining...I thought it was hilarious when Bear Grylls tried to row across the glacier-ridden inlet and the boat started sinking and he had to swim. Priceless. At best, he gives the viewer examples of what not to do

Images

I'v said it before and I'll say it again... I want to see one of them survive AND have an injured person with them...or whiny girlfriend. *thumbs up
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

All he is doing is just looking for attention. Most of what he does is really not that hard but he tries to make it seem harder than what it really is.

Wolf

Images

Survivorman gets my vote.
    I would like one episode to show "behind the scenes". You know with an actual crew showing how he holds the camera gear to film himself, and some discussion on what would happen if he really got in trouble. Is there a contingency plan if his life is really on the line?

While we're on the topic I would like to see the same for "Cash Cab".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++